"How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old July 19th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

"How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" any good?

is this dvd good?
I'm considering buying it...
besides, is i it safe to order it online, i don't know anything about Vortex Media.
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Vortex worth the price of admission

It is a great DVD with a lot of good advice, including an under $1,500 light kit that can give you drop dead good looking interviews, 60 minutes and network quality. Definitely worth the price of admission. These guys do good work.
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Trustee

I own it

Well worth the money. Great information and good production values. As I produce special interest videos, I found the video to be very well done. I hope mine are as good.
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Bought it and Love it

I bought the DVD... watched it on Monday... twice... took notes... priced it out at B&H... Had the kit by Friday... Shot some of the best interviews I've done on the following Monday.

Now if only there was a similar DVD for other issues I've run across... good interview audio to name one...

Kevin
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the "How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" DVD, and think it's a good start for a newbie like me. I've been through a number of interviews with mass media. The interviews shot in their studios were the usual human-on-chair with green screen. However, those shot in my home generally went for the darker background. Examples of that look can be found on National Geographic's "Taboo" episode DVDs.

As for audio, I bought two DVDs:

1) "Location Sound for Video" with Wes Cavalier, available from Trew Audio

Don't buy this DVD. It's information poor, largely concentrating on how to connect various microphones to your camcorder. Mr. Cavalier should put out another DVD with more examples of recording on location, such as dealing with crowds and people jumping up and down to peer into the camera.

2) "Now Hear This" by Douglas Spotted Eagle from VASST

This in an instructional audio DVD. I haven't made it through disk 1 of the two disk set, but so far, this set is highly informative and useful. I'll update this thread when I've finished studying the set.
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Also, check out VASST's Lighting DVD "Light it Right" with Victor Milt. Overall, it's pretty good given that the lighting used is that which is affordable to smaller, video-based operations. It's easily worth its price, but I'd like to see a 2nd DVD that offers more lighting setups, complete with A/B comparisons of what various lights do in several positions as well as lighting situations other than people. Mr. Milt seems bent on spending a chunk of the video talking about how the film industry used to light, but that section really doesn't interest me.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm just getting through DVD1 of the VASST audio tutorial.

Incredible. Doug Spotted Eagle teaches you how to record underwater - put a condom over a microphone. This DVD is excellent as well as entertaining.
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Here is the kit as listed in the "How to Setup, Light, & Shoot Great Looking Interviews" . A major omission is a case of some sort. Kevin priced it out at BH Photo, as did I. Most of the prices are spot on, but some are slightly higher. BH doesn't seem to sell a Lowel Pro-Light with a 500W bulb, so you have to get the 750W model and buy a 500W bulb. This kit includes 600W dimmers, so I didn't want to risk trouble with a 750W bulb.

I didn't see any need to buy the WarmCards, which are a Vortex Media product.
http://www.warmcards.com/

2 Avenger A630B Light Stand $80x2=$160
2 Avenger A625B Light Stand $60x2=$120
1 Manfrotto 3398 Boom Stand $117
1 Small Photoflex SilverDome NXT Soft Box $110
1 PhotoFlex Fabric Grid $ 90
1 PhotoFlex Swivel Mount $ 23
1 Photoflex Speed Ring $ 80
1 Lowel TotaLite with 500W bulb $110

1 42" Impact 5-in-1 Collapsible reflector $ 60
1 Flexfill Adjustable Holder for reflector $ 60

2 Lowell Pro-Light $109x2=$218
1 Lowell Snoot (Pro-Light #1) $ 34
1 Lowell Four Way Barndoors (Pro-Light #2) $ 35
2 Impact 600W dimmers (cheapo) $25x2=$ 50
4 15' Extension cords $15x4=$ 60
1 Rosco Cinegel Sampler Kit 10"x12" $ 32

1 WarmCards for white balance $ 90
1 Black Foam Core (cookie pattern) $ 10
1 Matthews 2-1/2" Grip Head (holds FoamCore) $ 25
Assortment of pins, clamps, tape $ 20
------
$1494
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Glints, I agree that a major omission is that there is no case suggested to carry this kit in. Just a "look in the catalog and pick one." Not that I need to be spoon fed everything, but you would think that if he went as far as he did with going through the kit, he would have suggested a case for it. I think his main reason for neglecting this was to keep the total cost of the kit under $1500. I could be wrong, that just my humble opinion.

"BH doesn't seem to sell a Lowel Pro-Light with a 500W bulb..."

The Lowell Pro Lights that I purchased for this run a 250 watt bulb (the background light and the hair light). And even at 250 they are extremely bright. I've been thinking of ordering a couple of 125 watt bulbs just to see if that will allow me to leave the dimmers my bag, or maybe use them for practicals.

If your talking about the Tota-Light, then yes the one they sell (that I found) can take either a 750 watt bulb or the 500 watt. I'm using a 500 with the soft box and the fabric grid and haven't needed more light for just one person. I suppose if you we lighting two or more then you would need the 750 bulb and a bit larger soft box.

Have you purchased a case yet for your kit? If so did you go with one case or split it up into to? I was thinking about one case for stands and one for lights and the other odds and ends. If you have purchased a case, I'd love to know which one and maybe see a pic of how you've got it laid out.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Great kit

Great Video, and a great kit. I use a Kata OC84 bag and a $90 Light Stand Bag to haul everything. I have been using a 250watt Rifa 44 with a 50 per cent eggcrate which lights very well as a key. I bought a wooden cookie, cut it in half and put hinges on with a lock bolt so I can pack it. And sometimes, instead of the reflector, I use a Litepanels with a medium CTO and diffuser for the fill. Really pick ups the eyes. The headline is really great looking interviews.
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Major Player

That video looks great but this DVD:

http://www.dvcreators.net/dv-enlightenment/

will teach you more about everything (not just interviews) alot better than anything ive ever seen. Even pro's have gotten this DVD and learned something at least. I highly recommend it.

-Kyle
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Also, I've learned that the Impact D-600 dimmers use a two prong connector while the Lowel Pro-Lights use a three prong adapter. Both connectors were depicted in the product pictures on the BH site, but I overlooked this. No biggie, but the 3->2 prong adapters are an essential cost in this kit as well.

I haven't purchased a case yet, but I'll see if I can use the case from my umbrella light kit first.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
Also, I've learned that the Impact D-600 dimmers use a two prong connector while the Lowel Pro-Lights use a three prong adapter
These router speed controls/dimmers work perfectly with all my lights, a good value with 3 prong plugs/outlets. Those avenger light stands are a great value too, but for myself, I tend to use my economy air-cushioned light stands with my light heads, just for peace of mind.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:14 AM   #14
Wrangler

Those avenger light stands are a great investment. But for myself, I tend to use my economy air-cushioned light stands more, just for peace of mind.
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks for the tip on the dimmers Michael, I've been wanting to upgrade the D-600s, but haven't known a good dimmer to buy. I was kinda disappointed about the recommendation on the D-600 because of the lack of a ground on the dimmers. They're still nice though, for practicals.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It