Digital Cinema - Filmmaker's Training Course? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Read About It
Some old-fashioned book-learnin' will do you some good.

Old January 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Im interested

im interested in this course as well....
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi all,

I bought the course last year and I think it's great for people (like me) who don't have time to attend a regular (day time) film course.

As Rush stated, the course teaches you by practical examples, including the things you should not do and why not.
The DVD's on lighting a set (outdoor and indoor) were very good.

Even the "product information/demos" (that term doesn't do justice to it, sorry ;)) were a great source of information.
The use of the different lights and gels was something I didn't have a clue about, great stuff!

I haven't had the time to watch all the DVD's yet but my opinion is that it's a great course packed with useful info you can use immediately in your own productions/experiments.

If you do not have any real experience making movies this is a great way to get you up to speed on everything you need to know to get started in a good way.

One thing I missed (on the product related DVD): 35mm adapters (or maybe that's on a DVD I haven't watched yet?)

Andre.
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #18
New Boot

Waiting and dissapointed

Well this this training DVD's is somthing I have waited for, so I placed my order right away. Then I received a mail where I was asked to confirm my shipping address. I did so, and asked if everything was ok. I did not receive any answers so I sent a new mail and a new on and etc. I still waiting for an answer because I do not know if it is shipped. I hope it is, and I am looking forward to take a look at the DVD's.

Ragnar Egeland
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

With apologies to Rush Hamden

This post is going to sound a little wierd. Last summer I was at B&H photo in New York. I bought the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium but had no idea what I was getting into. As a photoshop user I figured that I'd just pick it up. Oh how wrong I was. So there I was looking for ANYTHING to teach me how to use After effects and I dropped a load of money on every training DVD they had. The next week my girl brought by a bag of more DVD's that included the Digital Cinema training Course. Like an idiot I just added them to the pile of stuff to get to. It wasn't until Thanksgiving day when I was watching football that my girl said "hey what about that set of DVD's I got", and here's where the apology comes in. I said I don't think I'll learn too much from it, the box looks real plain. WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS! After 1 minute I was hooked! The section on screenwriting was incredible! It was not only informative but inspirational. I have been touched by this product. It lit a fire, in me and the next monday I was at B&H looking for Mics and lights. I just got an A1 and all the lighting info became priceless. I am a fan of this series, and it's a must for aspiring filmmakers because you can't just pick it up. Thanks again Rush for this product and again please, accept my apologies for the diss of the box cover.
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
I see. Well that certainly makes sense.

Digital compositing simply fascinates me. It is probably my favorite thing about digital video and film. I hope to soon learn how that process works which is great because your course covers it. My concern with editing sofware is: can I do digital compositing via a platform such as Sony Vegas?

Hope you had a happy New Year! The ground here is rapidly becoming covered in snow..
Hi Terry. That is one question I can't answer. Maybe try the Vegas forums. I personally use Ultimatte, a plug-in for FCP.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Theelen View Post
Hi all,
I bought the course last year and I think it's great for people (like me) who don't have time to attend a regular (day time) film course.
As Rush stated, the course teaches you by practical examples, including the things you should not do and why not.
The DVD's on lighting a set (outdoor and indoor) were very good.
Even the "product information/demos" (that term doesn't do justice to it, sorry ;)) were a great source of information.
The use of the different lights and gels was something I didn't have a clue about, great stuff!
I haven't had the time to watch all the DVD's yet but my opinion is that it's a great course packed with useful info you can use immediately in your own productions/experiments.
If you do not have any real experience making movies this is a great way to get you up to speed on everything you need to know to get started in a good way.
One thing I missed (on the product related DVD): 35mm adapters (or maybe that's on a DVD I haven't watched yet?)
Andre.
Hi Andre! Thanks for buying the course, and thanks for the good word!

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Egeland View Post
Well this this training DVD's is somthing I have waited for, so I placed my order right away. Then I received a mail where I was asked to confirm my shipping address. I did so, and asked if everything was ok. I did not receive any answers so I sent a new mail and a new on and etc. I still waiting for an answer because I do not know if it is shipped. I hope it is, and I am looking forward to take a look at the DVD's.
Ragnar Egeland
Hi Ragnar. I sincerely apologize for this. No, we never received your Billing address, and we should have sent a follow-up email before... Just to explain why we need it: Your Paypal order came in as "Unconfirmed", meaning that Paypal can't confirm that the address matches the credit card you used. Therefore, we need to get that address, call Paypal, verify that it's a valid address, then ship immediately. We have had some serious horror stories with Paypal lately, and to be honest are tiring with them. We're moving most of our business to dealers and Amazon. Especially for international customers like yourself, where Paypal shows its true failings and Amazon shines. I just sent you an email. Please respond, and we'll follow through.

Old January 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Wing View Post
This post is going to sound a little wierd. Last summer I was at B&H photo in New York. I bought the Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium but had no idea what I was getting into. As a photoshop user I figured that I'd just pick it up. Oh how wrong I was. So there I was looking for ANYTHING to teach me how to use After effects and I dropped a load of money on every training DVD they had. The next week my girl brought by a bag of more DVD's that included the Digital Cinema training Course. Like an idiot I just added them to the pile of stuff to get to. It wasn't until Thanksgiving day when I was watching football that my girl said "hey what about that set of DVD's I got", and here's where the apology comes in. I said I don't think I'll learn too much from it, the box looks real plain. WHAT AN IDIOT I WAS! After 1 minute I was hooked! The section on screenwriting was incredible! It was not only informative but inspirational. I have been touched by this product. It lit a fire, in me and the next monday I was at B&H looking for Mics and lights. I just got an A1 and all the lighting info became priceless. I am a fan of this series, and it's a must for aspiring filmmakers because you can't just pick it up. Thanks again Rush for this product and again please, accept my apologies for the diss of the box cover.
Heh heh, thank you Sherman! Thanks for the great review, sir! I really appreciate it.

Yeah, our older Blue Boxes were replaced by the new more eye-appealing black/silver designed covers. We keep improving the product, step by step, year by year. We've been working on a new site that will show the new covers. Right now the old ones are still up. Here are the new ones.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1200261604
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Cinema - Filmmaker's Training Course?-dct-mp-command-course-640x480.jpg  

Old January 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #24
New Boot

DVD's to Norway

Quote:
Hi Ragnar. I sincerely apologize for this. No, we never received your Billing address, and we should have sent a follow-up email before... Just to explain why we need it: Your Paypal order came in as "Unconfirmed", meaning that Paypal can't confirm that the address matches the credit card you used. Therefore, we need to get that address, call Paypal, verify that it's a valid address, then ship immediately. We have had some serious horror stories with Paypal lately, and to be honest are tiring with them. We're moving most of our business to dealers and Amazon. Especially for international customers like yourself, where Paypal shows its true failings and Amazon shines. I just sent you an email. Please respond, and we'll follow through.
I accept your apologize. Well, below is the first mail that I did send to you. I know the reason concerning the unconfirm address. Please read my answer below and confirm that everything is ok. (Note I am trying to get veryfied with Pay Pal but I can not find the four digit they are asking for).

My Address is:
Ragnar Egeland
Myrasvingen 11
4330 Aalgaard
Norway.

Note:
Rogaland is the local counsil. I never use that when writing my address. But sometimes I use it when I am force to fill in the "State field" during the registration process. It is easier now when most of the US companies has noticed that the major part of foreign countries does not have States.

In my country Aalgaard is written like Algard with a dot on top of the A's. You prononce it like an "a" in "all".

If possible, can you please use DHL as the shipping company. I do buy a lot of stuff from USA. USPS, UPS and DHL are very fast outside Norway. Normally a shippment takes 2 - 3 days to reach my country. After that USPS and UPS are using the local government snail mail system. As a result a shippment can take 5-6 more days inside Norway. With DHL I will receive the DVD the same day as it arrives on Norwegian soil.

I'm looking forward to watch your DVD's

Best regards

Ragnar Egeland
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Ragnar. Thank you, we'll get on that first thing Monday morning. I anticipate that it will go smoothly.

Old January 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hamden View Post
Hi Ragnar. Thank you, we'll get on that first thing Monday morning. I anticipate that it will go smoothly.
Hi
That's fine. Thank you

Ragnar
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Ragnar, all is well. Paypal hung up on us 3 times as usual, but on the fourth try we finally got them to talk to us. They used to be great before the Ebay buyout... Now everyone's a number waiting for 32 minutes to talk to a human.

Goodness, Paypal is impossible. I thank everyone who's written to us with inquiries about the course, and encourage you to order on Amazon if you don't live in USA, Canada, or UK, and don't have confirmed Paypal accounts. You can also order from our dealers: EVS, B&H, Full Compass, and FilmWare.

Ragnar, sending the product via private carrier costs us $75. We offer free domestic and international shipping to all customers via USPS for $35 internationally. However, on account of the 1-week delay, we are going to give you a FREE upgrade to private carrier.

I hope you enjoy the product, and thank you for joining the thousands of other filmmakers who have become our loyal customers. We wish you the best of luck in all your productions.

Old January 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hamden View Post
Hi Ragnar, all is well. Paypal hung up on us 3 times as usual, but on the fourth try we finally got them to talk to us. They used to be great before the Ebay buyout... Now everyone's a number waiting for 32 minutes to talk to a human.

Goodness, Paypal is impossible. I thank everyone who's written to us with inquiries about the course, and encourage you to order on Amazon if you don't live in USA, Canada, or UK, and don't have confirmed Paypal accounts. You can also order from our dealers: EVS, B&H, Full Compass, and FilmWare.

Ragnar, sending the product via private carrier costs us $75. We offer free domestic and international shipping to all customers via USPS for $35 internationally. However, on account of the 1-week delay, we are going to give you a FREE upgrade to private carrier.

I hope you enjoy the product, and thank you for joining the thousands of other filmmakers who have become our loyal customers. We wish you the best of luck in all your productions.

Hi again
Thank you very much for your service. I am looking forward to the day the DVD's arrives. I hope your noticed that I odrered the croma keying and sound course as well. Well, I will post an objective feedback when I have completed the courses.

Best
Ragnar
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes, we sure did notice the optional DVDs, not to worry.

Hey, speaking of which... My wife has been creating a collage of photos from every country that the DCT course has been shipped to. She pastes them in a mapping software with pushpins for each city. She's wondering if you can either send us or post up a picture of Rogaland or Aalgard. She's obsessed with Norway anyhow, and has been reading about the excellent social services system, super-low unemployment and crime, etc. She's a cold-weather kind of person (opposite to me, I love LA weather) and she keeps saying she wants to go up and live in one of the Fjord communities, like this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1200352577

Before you placed your order, she was doing so much research on Norway, and baby names and such, and I started calling her Ragnar just for fun. I swear it's true! Then you placed your order the same day! She just about flipped when I told her that. She sent you an email a few days ago, but seeing as though we have had issues with that, I'll tell her to send you another one. She just has a few questions to ask an actual Norwegian person rather then the web. : )

Anyhow, sorry for the ramble. If you can send us pic, we'd be much obliged!
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Cinema - Filmmaker's Training Course?-geirangerfjord.jpg  

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Suggestion for new set of DVD's

Rush, I so love and still use the DCT series. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, give a general understanding of the movie making process. I would like to make a product request suggestion. The DCT product I would love to see would be Camerawork from a-z. Shooting for different projects such as shooting Action Movies, Sports, Night shooting. I just got my A1 and it's like learning all over again. Shooting 16:9 is different world from 4:3 I would really love to learn it from the pros.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Read About It