Zoe Lanc-DV Controller Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Zoe unplugging confuses camera (XM2)

Hi Pierre and everyone,

I have just noticed that if my Zoe Zoom controller is plugged in to my XM2 camera and then I UNplug the Zoe (whilst camera is on) and then plug it back in, the Zoe controller stops working. Infact it seems to freak out by zooming in on it's own!

The only way for me to get it working again is to power down the camera and then power back up. Zoe then resumes normal operation.

Does anyone have this happen to them with the same of different camera?

Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

With any device that draws power from the camera and doesn't have an on / off switch, it's always a good idea to power the camera down before unplugging it. If you're in a situation where you need to pull a camera off a tripod and go handheld, you might not be in a position to go into standby mode first. That's understandable. But if at all possible, go into standby mode when you return to the tripod and plug the controller back in. When you wake the camera up, the controller should behave normally.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I thought t hat might be the problem...

Hi Chris,

I thought that might be the problem, however I wanted to check.

It is a shame, and as you have mentioned I did indeed have to go hand held for a few shots, but I didn't want to stop the cam recording, we had two cameras rolling and I wanted to sync both in the edit only once.

Oh well one can't have the same features of a more expensive counter-part...

Jack
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #19
Major Player

"Oh well one can't have the same features of a more expensive counter-part..."

If you are referring to your ZOE, Jack, that's not the problem. I have the ZOE and it performs exactly as you wish with my Sony PD150. I can pull the plug while the camera is recording, and plug it back in and the camera keeps recording, and all functions perform as advertised.

Ergo, I think we can safely say that the problem is with Canon's application of the LANC protocol.

Same bad news for you, but just identifying the proper culprit.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Spot on, Wayne. My VX2k is just the same. Must try the Z1 out now.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've got a Varizoom Pro and a Zoe Bebob and prefer the Varizoom because it has a speed wheel. One of my camera people prefers the Zoe, the other the Varizoom so I'd echo the comments here - try before you buy...

Incidentally, whilst usuable, the LANC lens controls don't come close to the control I get from my Canon Broadcast lens with a Canon ZSD-300 zoom demand...

Hope this helps

Graham
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Not the Zoe!

Hi Wayne,

I was infact refering to a better far more expensive 'camera', and as Graham pointed out... (in my opinion) indeed no camera like the XM2 will ever be like a broadcast camera in terms of Zoom flexibility.

I must agree that software-wise Sony have the edge in this case and I believe that my next camera will be a Sony for this very reson. It seems they just get these little things right.

Without knocking Canon, they make up in other areas like the obvious (lenses), but to a camera user it is important to have flexibility on a shoot.

Also I wonder if the 'Canon' zoom controller would have been a better choice for my XM2... hmm one would wonder.

Jack
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #23
Major Player

I think a dose of reality is in order here. That Canon ZSD-300 sells for $2000.00 and the ZOE DV goes for $250.00, so yeah, they aren't in the same league. However, for $250.00 you get a damn good unit that will perform well in most situations, the notable exception being a super slow start from dead stop. And that limitation is more a result of the lens/camera design than a fault of the controller. Lens controllers for small format cameras have come a long way from their early basic designs.

BTW, Jack, that Canon controller is not a good choice for someone with demanding standards, such as yourself. It's one of those units that was pretty good a few years back, but has not improved as newer, more sophisticated controllers have come on the scene. Somewhat crude by today's standards.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Fair point Wayne - You pays your money and takes your choice!!

The LANC controllers are great value for money and offer good control over "fixed" lenses. I've used both the Zoe and Varizooms on professional assignments and they're different in the way they operate, but once you get used to either, you can get very effective results - certainly better than using the on-board rocker!
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Is the Zoe DV or DVX any good for focus pulls?

Can it control the focusing speed?
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #26
Major Player

I don't think so. I've got a Zoe-dvl. There is some control of focus speed using the rocker switch but not very much and only for nearer objects.
Later versions seem to be the same, judging from the Bebob website.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks Richard, at least it has some control I guess. I don't think there are any better Lanc controllers for focusing out there

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers