DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   I just can't get focused (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/11907-i-just-cant-get-focused.html)

Joe Cinquina July 11th, 2003 09:34 AM

I just can't get focused

Ok, here is my problem. I have A GL2 which I love and use of a XL1s anytime I need it. About 2 months ago I was asked to tape a Dance Program. Me and my friend did a two camera shoot and when I edited it, added some 3d work, titling, a little rehearsal/backstage music video and delivered it on DVD. Ever since. I have been getting other dance studios calling me to do the same for their productions. This good.

My problem is this, On my first shoot, I used the XL1s in the back for my master shoot and used the GL2 for up close, mediums and cut aways. I used auto focus on the GL2. It kept up well. The second shoot I did, I used the gl2 for my master shot in the back, which was a good 90 feet away from the center of the stage and used auto-focus. Due to the lights changing, the distance, and a huge stage, I got a lot of out of focus footage. To make matters worse, I struggled all performance with the XL1s. I used it hand held for my close ups and mediums and kept on switching from manual to auto focus. When I was in auto-focus it kept on getting out of focus with every movement on stage. The stage was deep so the dancers would use the whole stage and the Xl1s kept on trying to adjust, but not quickly enough. When I was using manual focus, it was extremely difficult to hold the camera steady, follow the action with smooth pans, tilts and maybe a little slow zooming while now also trying to follow focus on the ring.

My question, How in the world are you suppose to do this? This issue is just so blurry for me.

Thanks for all the help.

Joe

Joe Sacher July 11th, 2003 09:39 AM

When I am shooting with the GL2, I keep one finger near the AF/MF button. I run as much as I can in Manual, but very often refocus by just tapping the button and then tapping again. This uses the Auto Focus, which is better than I am (and quicker), then locks into Manual so it doesn't drift on me.

Rob Wilson July 11th, 2003 10:19 AM

Joe,

The camera you have set up in back should be in manual focus the whole time since it's not moving and the stage is a fixed distance. Just get a good focus and lock it down. Since it's stationary, you may want to close down the apature a bit to increase depth of field.

Afraid I can't help you with hand holding a XL1

Chris Fangio July 11th, 2003 10:49 AM

Nearly the same problem here.

I did some interviews last month and although the person was 2/3 of the picture (close ups all the time) my XM2 focussed on the piece of wall in the background.

John Heskett July 12th, 2003 12:05 PM

I always had problems using the MF well. It seemed too sensitive. I finally broke down and got a lanc remote. This is one of the best things I done. Manual focus is sooooo much easer. If you don't have a remote focus and zoom get one. I bought mine from SignVideo. It is well made aluminum body and the price is right.

Graham Bernard July 12th, 2003 12:35 PM

Lanc and Spiders!

Yup - Just this moment done some filming of spiders in the garden. The Focus control and Creep-Zoom is just tooooo good. The ZR-1000 has 1-6 preset speeds AND the V for variable. Neat!

Grazie