Dear Manfrotto r.e. 522 zoom controller... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 12th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Dear Manfrotto r.e. 522 zoom controller...

Dear Manfrotto,

Why Oh Why did you give the Canon version of your controller "professional" extras and give the Sony version consumer-type extras?

Both controllers have on/off, zoom in/out variable, focus auto/manual plus focus + / - , and record/record pause.

The Canon 522c also has record search + / - , and data on/off.

The Sony version 522 has backlight, fader, and photo... backlight is ok but fader and photo? Are you kidding me? What SERIOUS user of dv gear does fades outside of post? And you're giving space on this thing for photos? Isn't this thing supposed to be an accessory for those of us that take dv cams seriously? Why don't you put a "bluetooth" button on there? Or maybe one that activates an on-board flash?

Sorry guys... I guess I've been complaining about these zoom controllers a lot... I still wish somebody could chime in and say that they've used BOTH the 522 and the Vz-Rock and tell me which one has the best/smoothest action on the zoom portion of the device.

As far as I can tell the choice between the two would be an absolute DRAW if you have Canon... for Sony I think the Vz-Rock has buttons that make more sense... also the focus "rocker" on the Vz-Rock looks well placed and ergonomic...

I really wanted to get the 522 but the first time I accidentally hit "fader" or "photo" when I wanted to adjust focus... I'd grind that thing into a million peices under my foot... Can you imagine shooting something critical like a wedding and trying to adjust focus and PLOPPING a HARD FADE at a critical moment? Why is this button even on this thing?

Comments please... again if anybody has experience with BOTH controllers I'd love to hear from you!

Unfortunately Varizoom told me there is NO way I can get a Vz-Rock in all black... just the "Limited Edition" silver... If anybody here knows the guys over at Varizoom maybe you can hook me up with a black one... wink... nod... that would end my quandry post haste.

Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #2
Warden

My understanding is the black ones are made only occasionally (every other year ?) and when they are gone, they are gone. A dealer might still have one, and when I was looking a year ago, black ones were on ebay.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers