DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/141707-varizoom-efc-u-electronic-focus-control.html)

Jason Bodnar January 16th, 2009 09:01 PM

The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone seen or used one of these yet... Very interesting if this works...

VariZoom Lens Controls - Zoom &amp Focus Controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits

The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

Now you can pull focus on your SONY PMW-EX1 or EX3 cameras with our VZ-EFC-U, professional Cable Drive Focus Control with Universal Bracket and 95mm Focus Ring

Mitchell Lewis March 20th, 2009 03:13 AM

Personally, if I'm not shooting with a 35mm adaptor, focusing isn't that critical as most everything is in focus. I guess if you're frequently shooting zoomed-in and under low-light it might be useful.

It would be interesting to work out the DOF of the EX1/EX3 lens in various shooting conditions. I'll bet you'll find that the DOF is very wide, and most objects will be in focus under most shooting conditions.

I'm really generalizing here, but it's just so easy to manually set your focus and then shoot without fear of things being soft.

Now shooting with a 35mm adaptor.....that's a WHOLE different thing. But a remote lens controller wouldn't help with that as you're focused on the ground glass of the adaptor, not your subject.

Just my $0.02. :)

Jason Bodnar March 20th, 2009 12:37 PM

I was thinking it would be handy for a Crane mount application as you do not have access to focus and while adjusting zoom you now have the ability to focus if this thing works?? Much cheaper then any other remote focus controllers I have seen out there.

Phil Bloom March 20th, 2009 01:06 PM

it does look cool. Have you seen the Hocus Focus Hocus Products

Love to test the varizoom but I dont have enough need for one to shell out for one for myself!

Jason Bodnar March 21st, 2009 12:43 PM

Had not seen the Hocus device... Interesting. Thanks Phillip... I hope a proper review by someone is done as I do not have the funds right now but would like to know how it works, could come in handy for a crane application.

Phil Bloom March 21st, 2009 12:44 PM

i could have done with it today on my Ultimate/ EX3 on a jib for a commercial. Had to shoot at f11 to make sure i maintained focus!

If anyone knows anyone at Varizoom I would love to review it...

Martin Amada March 28th, 2009 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached a photo of the remote follow focus I built last year using standard R/C equipment. It was going to be for use with my 35mm cine-apaptor. As you can see it looks very similar to the one Varizoom is now selling.

It's critical to know what degree of accuracy their unit achieves. I used a boat winch servo as the motor, and found that it consistently overshot the mark by several degrees and then would oscillate. This is not acceptable when focusing with a cine-apaptor.

(BTW Mitchell, you only set up the adaptor to focus on the GG once, after that focusing is done using the 35 mm lenses. That's the whole point of using the device. What you wrote is incorrect. And as a matter of fact if Varizoom can offer this product with different gearing options for the many M35 users out there using various lenses, (and not just the EX-3) they will sell a great deal more of them.

I am still working on my DIY version. I'm now looking into different motors and controllers with a robotics engineer, to see if a better degree of accuracy can be achieved. I too, would love to know how the Varizoom unit works and if like mine, it's using standard R/C electronics. At $699 if Varizoom's product works as it should they should have a winner.

Martin

Jason Bodnar April 16th, 2009 01:26 PM

Martin, very nice!!! To focus with an RC gun is classic! Hopefully we will get a proper review of the Varizoom. I passed on Phillp's info to them and they said it would be great to have him review it and they will work on making that happen...

Jacques Mersereau January 11th, 2010 11:51 AM

I saw this system at NAB being used on a RED, but I will say I have not used it and they are, according to their website, OUT OF STOCK, so either they are in demand or having issues.
It's worth a look anyway and they have several videos to see the system working.

viewfactor.net

Roger Pinto September 16th, 2012 11:26 AM

Re: The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

Can Varizoom EFC-U be used as Electronic Follow Focus units for rig mounted Zeiss CP2 lens. I wonder would this be giving 300 degrees of focus ring turns. Also thinking as how to mount the wired controller on the rig hand bars to have a stable control & balancing the rig simultaneously.

VariZoom VZEFC-U | Sony EX / Fujinon Focus control | Lens Control

Roger Pinto September 26th, 2012 08:09 AM

Re: The Varizoom EFC-U Electronic Focus control

any info ?????