DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   Manfrotto 521 pro instruction manual (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/144794-manfrotto-521-pro-instruction-manual.html)

Robert Acosta February 27th, 2009 10:28 PM

Manfrotto 521 pro instruction manual

Could someone here tell me how to acquire an instruction manual for the Manfrottto 521 pro lanc controller. I've gone to the Manfrotto web site with no luck and I'd appreciate it if I could get any info on how to get a manual or download a pdf file instruction manual or if anyone has a manual that they could part with.

Chris Soucy February 27th, 2009 10:59 PM

Hi Robert........

Almost afraid to ask - why do you need a manual for a Lanc?

Plug it in, press buttons etc and it does.

Or does not, which usually means it's incompatible with a particular function with a particular camera.

In the latter case, the manual will be of little help, I'm afraid.

Better to ask the question on the Forum.

CS

Robert Acosta February 28th, 2009 08:08 AM

Having never used a lanc before, and having recently acquired one, I'm totally unfamiliar with it. Being a "read and learn, before I use and ruin something"... type...and knowing nothing about lancs, I was hoping to get a little knowledge about it beforehand. Just by looking at the face of this controller... and not yet connecting it to the camera and experimenting...I have questions as to how the few buttons on the face will control all the features listed on the item description on the ads for it... just wanted to know as much as possible about it beforehand. As long as I can't damage this unit in any way by my own ignorance...then I will plug and play, as long as someone with some knowledge of it informs me that its ok to do so. I've read a few posts here and tried a search, but I haven't found much on it, and your last comment on your post is what I thought was doing. Thanks for the response though.

Shaun Roemich February 28th, 2009 10:48 AM

The key thing with LANC devices is not to Hot plug them. Turn off the camera before you plug in or unplug them. There have been stories of blown circuits. I have successfully unplugged my 522 a handful of times when ABSOLUTELY necessary with no ill effects but I certainly don't recommend it.

My 522 didn't come with directions either and was purchased new.

As Chris says, not all functions on the remote will work, depending on the camera it's attached to.

Robert Acosta February 28th, 2009 11:57 AM

Thanks Shaun. I've found a chart that identifies the features/camera and will try out the lanc making sure I avoid connecting/disconnecting hot.

Chris Soucy February 28th, 2009 12:18 PM

Hmmm.............

Well, Shaun is definately one up on me.

In all my years playing with Video cameras, I've never heard, read or had experience of a Lanc circuit being busted by hot plugging.

Ever.

Won't say it can't be done, 'cause anything can go "bang" without rhyme or reason, just saying I ain't ever heard of it.

Manufacturer X's Lanc not working with manufacturer Y's camera (sometimes) - oh yeah!

Manufacturer X's Lanc not working as it should with manufacturer X's own camera - oh yeah!

Blown up interface?

Er, no.

Moving swiftly on, having only ever owned one Lanc, I would hate to generalise, but from memory, the instructions for my Canon ZR 1000, such as they were, consisted of:

Plug it in (nothing said about camera on or off, again, from memory).

Press buttons.

End.

As for your initial post - you asked specifically for a manual for your Lanc.

You did not ask about it's operation (or lack thereof), nor it's functions (or lack thereof), nor did you mention which camera(s) you were/ are/ maybe using it with.

I guess that, in and of itself, should have been a warning.

Must be getting old.

I appologise if my response failed to answer your (un - asked) question(s).

Guess it's time for some fresh batteries in the 'ol crystal ball.

CS

Shaun Roemich February 28th, 2009 12:56 PM

I'm going strictly from anecdotal "information" I read "somewhere" years ago and couldn't regurgitate if my life depended on it. It certainly could be urban legend. It's probably as contestable as: hot swapping FW, head cleaning cassettes, mixing tape brands, 72dpi for video and all the other unresolved points we debate on here.

As I mentioned in my post, I've done it but I don't advise it. I'm the only person I know locally who uses a LANC controller so I can't give any further first hand information either for or against. Call it hearsay if you like. I choose to abide by it; your mileage may vary.

Robert Acosta February 28th, 2009 04:29 PM

Chris, I'm a newb using a Sony PD 170 with the manfrotto 521 lanc... didn't mean to offend anyone...just looking for help. I've since connected the lanc ...and I've been able to ascertain that the 521 pro allows control of the zoom in and out , forcus, power...so far... and it may also allow me to somehow set the zoom speed,which would allow me to mash down on the rocker with a gloved hand and maintain a slow controled zoom without sending the zoom racing. Because I cannot find any other detailed info explaining this or any other functions of the lanc, I cannot confirm whether or not it can do this, or how it is achieved. Although I thought I had read somewhere that it had this ability. I think I read this in an advertisement for the 521.
Another post mentions the ability to go back and forth between auto focus and manual focus with the touch of a button on the lanc. Trying to film wildlife from an elevated perch and trying to contort myself around the tree without falling and manipulating the cameras controls can get tricky. The lanc could give greater control and limit unwanted movement. The ability to fluctuate between auto and manual focus quickly at the touch of a button and maitain single hand control of the zoom and focus when fliming through branches will hopefully help keep a distant subject in focus when shooting with obstructions and yet allow me to instanly switch to auto when the subject enters a cleared area. I'm hoping the lanc control will allow me to simplify things in difficult filming positions.

Robert Acosta February 28th, 2009 06:36 PM

Got this info off of a website selling the 521.

"Designed for Sony and Canon Mini DV, and Hi8 cameras, the 521PRO is a compact remote control that is built onto a small clamp to suit a wide range of applications.

The 521PRO enables you to control power, recording, zoom and focus. Like the 523PRO, the 521PRO features manual focus buttons and an auto focus button, allowing you to achieve in-focus images easily when working in manual focus mode. (Note: Auto focus does not work with all cameras; please see Camera Compatibility Chart below for specific information)

The 521PRO also has a progressive zoom speed (the further you rotate the zoom wheel, the faster the zoom), a fixed zoom speed (irrespective of the rotation applied to the wheel, zoom speed remains constant), or a customizable maximum speed, which you can set to exactly the level you want.

To set a "custom"zoom speed, simply hold the zoom speed button until the LED flashes and use the wheel to record your speed. The LED shows you which speed you have selected. The 521PRO can be used for a wide variety of applications. It can be mounted to a huge range of supports, such as pipes, bars, tubes, and flat surfaces. "

and this:

Built onto a small clamp that suits a wide range of applications, the 521PRO is the top of the range of these compact remote controls. It uses the LANC protocol adopted by Sony and Canon for Mini DV, HDV and Hi8 cameras. The 521PRO controls the following functions: POWER ON/OFF, ZOOM SPEED BUTTON, REC/STOP, PUSH AUTO FOCUS, WHEEL ZOOM and FOCUS IN/OUT. Supplied with 522SCA connector coiled cord cable measuring 25 cm (extendable to 50 cm)

Only 4 buttons plus rocker...possible that some of the functions will be controlled by the same button by activating the function much the same as the zoom speed can be set utilizing the rocker (I think?) and the zoom speed button together. If anyone is familiar with all the functions and how to achieve them I'd appreciate any info.

Robert Acosta March 5th, 2009 10:51 PM

Contacted Manfrotto through their website and it took a while, but they got back to me and sent the manual for the 521 pro in a pdf file. I feel this unit definitely requires a manual to take advantage of all the features available and it does have a warning concerning the connection for the unit. It cautions that removal of the miniplug from the unit itself could damage the unit. Even though the miniplug can be easily unplugged from the unit...the company advises against it.