DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   Looking for inexpensive Lanc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/145091-looking-inexpensive-lanc.html)

Jim Snow March 4th, 2009 10:04 AM

Looking for inexpensive Lanc

I am looking for a low cost Lanc. Any suggestions for $100 or less?

Dave Blackhurst March 5th, 2009 12:56 PM

Which interface (sony A/V or traditional 2.5mm?), which camera, and what capabilites?

There are several import models (2.5mm plug) that aren't bad in the $30 range, I've got a few floating around I'm getting rid of, PM if you're interested... They ain't fancy, but generally they work OK!

Battle Vaughan March 5th, 2009 02:11 PM

This one is compact and works with Sony or Panasonic systems (switchable), it works on the Canon xha1 as well: Libec | ZC-3DV Mountable Zoom Control | ZC3DV | B&H Photo Video

These gadets are all overpriced imho, but this one is the least expensive we found. Canon, Varizoom, etc also make them ///Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Jim Snow March 5th, 2009 10:10 PM

I have a Sony HDR-FX1 and a Canon HV-30. i would like to use it on either one. I have seen some on Ebay in the $25 range but I have no idea if they are any good.

Dave Blackhurst March 6th, 2009 03:39 AM

Ok, first off, no LANC port on an HV30, so no joy there. The FX1 has the standard 2.5mm jack.

You've got several options, the Sony RM-VD1 works well, and it's basic, and then there are 3 imports in the 25-30 range, all work to varying degrees (thre are minor quirks and I've had some strange interactions with some camera functions, but for the most part they work), and should be fairly compatible with the FX1.

So it's going to come down to what functions you need or want to control and how much control over those functions you want to get on the remote... I've got all the 3 imports and the new version of the Sony that uses the A/V port, so I can tell you a bit more if you've got specific questions.

Jim Snow March 6th, 2009 12:11 PM

Thanks for the info Dave. The most important feature is a smooth zoom control. It would be nice to use the camera's fixed zoom speeds as well as be able to select a proportional zoom speed control when desired. The reviews of the Sony RM-VD1 on B&H are excellent. The no-name cheap imports on Ebay are reviewed as pretty flimsy in other threads on this forum. They do appear to offer more functions which is nice. So I'm torn between a "safe" choice with the RM-VD1 that is a zoom control only LANC and the no-names that have more functions but are apparently pretty flimsy.

Dave Blackhurst March 6th, 2009 12:56 PM

Well, the Sony has a two speed zoom depending on how hard you press, and it works pretty well. If zoom/on/off is all you want, you're set with that. You really can't go wrong with it from a practical standpoint - small, effective, does what it's supposed to.

About the only usable function that is added with the imports is the focus, and I'm not 100% sure how that will work with the FX1 - with the small cameras it's really too twitchy to be of much use, and unless the LANC properly addresses the cam to take it in and out of auto focus (I've got one that does, and two that dont, so you end up having to touch the cam anyway to switch manual/auto). I'd expect they would work better with the FX1, but it's hard to say for sure since I never tested that configuration.

One of the imports has a sort of nifty feature of being able to set the zoom speed with a knob, but the rocker and buttons tend to be a bit "clicky", so it's a mixed bag.

Jim Snow March 6th, 2009 04:18 PM

Thanks. I think I will go with the Sony RM-VD1. Later on if I decide to go for the "big bucks", I will spend $300 or $400 for a higher end LANC.

John Peterson May 9th, 2009 06:26 AM

Saw this late Jim.

Sometimes you can buy a cheap tripod that comes with a LANC controller for less than a stand alone LANC controller. Also, if someone you know has a broken tripod with a LANC controller you may get it for free.

John

Brian Murphy May 9th, 2009 10:23 AM

sign video

You can check Sign Video. They make a few and they are not too expensive:
Zoom Commander Digital Zoom Controller