DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   DIY non LANC controller (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/16934-diy-non-lanc-controller.html)

Marko Robertson November 11th, 2003 01:56 AM

DIY non LANC controller

Hi

I am a XM2 / GL2 owner and I needed s simple solution to an expensive problem....

I have posted a web page with a simple solution for those that are unable or who cannot afford a LANC controller...

http://home.kooee.com.au/rms/

Marko

Ken Tanaka November 11th, 2003 02:24 AM

Very clever, Marko! Thanks very much for sharing that with us. I don't think I've ever seen someone try to pipe the remote's IR signals to the camera's eye.

I would expect the Achilles heel of this system to be the relatively fragile nature of optical fiber cable. As you noted, they don't deal well with bending. It's hard to imagine that it would survive long under the typical frequent packing/hauling/unpacking conditions that many frequent shooters' equipment faces. But for a careful hobbiest it might just fill the bill!

Marko Robertson November 11th, 2003 02:30 AM

Ken

Thanx for the comments....the project has been a lot of fun....

The durability of the opto cable is a moot point, but I have tried it in the field several times shooting car rallies under very trying conditions....just watch out for the dust he said...hmmm...and the cable has not been a problem.

With so many clever people out there in DV world, it would be a simple matter for the builder to place a simple strain relief along the cameras handle or to a grip etc, etc....

I note on the Net that there are heavy duty opto cables available...try MONSTER cable in Google....and the lot still comes up seriously chgeaper than a LANC....and is more fun

Marko

Graham Bernard November 11th, 2003 03:17 AM

Ken - Nattiest XM2 Award?

. . Wow lateral thinking or what?!?! - Ken, can we have an award for the presetnation for the nattiest solution?

This is tremendous . . . . Personally, my Canon LANC, cuts the mustard . . but yes yes yes . . .very clever and ingenious . . how does the "Necessity & Mothers of Inventions" quote go . . . . .

Grazie

Don Palomaki November 11th, 2003 04:07 AM

For a bit more mobility with the controller, try using one of the small bicycle helmet mirrors to reflect IR signal to the sensor from angles toward the back of the camcorder..

Graham Bernard November 11th, 2003 05:15 AM

. . . . And there was I thinking Don, you didn't have a sense of humour - Hah!

Grazie

Bogdan Vaglarov November 13th, 2003 08:10 PM

Great home page and kudos for the great graphic work with the schemes.

However I've heard the basic idea 2-3 months ago from Peter Jefferson. He used just gaffer tape to fix the cable so your development is towards the perfection.

Very good ideas to make the small boxes and use reflective surfaces. Thanks!

Harry Settle November 13th, 2003 10:39 PM

Graham. . . I think the saying is "NECESSITY IS A MOTHER" (at least that's the way we see it.)

Kevin King November 13th, 2003 11:27 PM

That's brilliant!!

I had a suggestion about the poor egros on the Canon IR controller.... What would happen if you used a flat razor blade to shave off the buttons that were not needed? I have a GL2 and another Canon consumer grade cam. Both came with the same controller, so I have an extra. I may try this and eventually shave buttons to make operation by touch much easier.

Thanks for sharing!!

Marko Robertson November 13th, 2003 11:34 PM

Kevin

Maybe you should try a generic remote (these are fairly cheap) and see if you can programme it first....read: before the razor job.

Some else mentioned on another list that he was going to use one....I think they are programmed by having the emitters face each other then yoou press and store each command....thereby setting what buttons you want and where they are on the remote...!

Mark

Phil Reams November 14th, 2003 03:10 PM

Great idea you have there Marko!!!

I'm thinking about actually removing the controller board (the Sony remote for a PD-150) from it's case, trimming the PC board to fit into a small generic Radio Shack project box (without cutting any traces, of course!) and soldering momentary push-buttons via jumper wires to the board. (for zoom, focus, record, etc...)

I can fit the whole assembly into a small case about 2" x 4" in size. I can make a sleeve (heat shrink, maybe?) to fit the IR LED, and butt the fiber cable right up to the LED--then pass it out through some kind of non-kinking strain-relief to feed to the camera...

Attach a handlebar mount bracket to the bottom of the case for the pan handle, and I'm good to go!

I've got a spare remote to play with. Sounds like a nice weekend project for me. I'll post construction pics to my site when I time...

-Phil

Christopher Hughes November 14th, 2003 03:43 PM

Your a genius Marko. I was playing with the idea of how to have a remote controller for my cam without spending a forture, I guess now I have a remote cable to use my XL1s. I now have an great idea how I can get your idea modified to suit my needs. Very clever!!!!

I'm off to shops tomorrow to get started! Brilliant!!!

Marko Robertson November 15th, 2003 12:35 AM

Let's go....

Guys and Gals, post a link to the forum when you get something up and flying so we can ALL be inspired........get to it...

...and spread the word.....!

Marko

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 07:19 AM

Another thing that might work (this will void your warranty on
the remote) and will require some soldering is this:

Open the remote and remove the LED (Light Emitting Diode)
that transmits the IR signals (de-solder it from the board). Now
solder a cable in the place and attach the LED to the end of the
cable. This can basically be any kind of cable which will allow
for more wear and tear.

DISCLAIMER: this WILL void your warranty. I or DVInfo.net are
not responsible for broken equipment etc.

You should know electronics when attempting this! Ofcourse
the transmitter board might not allow for such a modification,
but it might (I don't have that remote).

Just a thought....

Phil Reams November 24th, 2003 05:48 PM

DOH! (a case of "why didn't I think of that...")

You know, since I work in electronics, one would think I would have thought of that! *grin*

Even better idea there, Rob...

Back to the shop for remote IR remote v1.2...

-Phil