LANC Extension cables at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old April 14th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Wrangler

LANC Extension cables

Broke my last LANC extension cable on a shoot yesterday. Hard to operate your camera on a boom without one.

Radio Shack did not have the parts or a cable.

Looked at the Markertek Web site and catalog. Nada.

Emailed Markertek and they do build LANC extension cables as follows:

"Part# is LANC-12F (12 foot) $9.99 ea. Allow 10 to 12 business days before delivering. Not listed on web-site. Phone orders only for this item 1-800-522-2025 for sales."

Takes about 2 weeks to get it.

I also ordered the parts to make my own. About half the price so if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can make your own. All you need are a male and female 2.5 mm stereo connector and a shielded (and small diameter) stereo cable, length to suit.
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Mike,
You might also check out studio1store.com as they also have LANC cables. Not sure if it would work with your controller but just a thought.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

We built one with a standard 1/8" stereo extender wire and stereo adapters on each end converting between 1/8" and 2.5mm. Seems to work fine. All parts from Radio Shack.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Our sponsor VariZoom Lens Controls has them in 10, 20, 50 and 100 foot lengths.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I did what Edward did and use adapters from Radio Shack. I actually carry a spare set of adapters with me in case I break one. I run two 1/8" extender cables inside the tube of my crane, one for LANC and the other to the headphone jack.

One time someone removed my camera from the end of the crane without disconnecting the cables and supporting the crane arm. Well the crane went shooting up into the air breaking the LANC connector. Since I had the spare I just popped it on and all was well.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : We built one with a standard 1/8" stereo extender wire and stereo adapters on each end converting between 1/8" and 2.5mm. Seems to work fine. All parts from Radio Shack. -->>>

The radio shack cable is the one that broke internally when someone pulled the LANC controller off the boom without unplugging it. Made worse by the mini-to-sub-mini adapter. Using these adapters which do increase the strain on a cable or the device into which you have plugged them is always a bad idea. As was using radio shack products in the first place.

Since the controller is a Varizoom, I should have checked with them to see if they had cables. Duh.
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a Varizoom too and I thought their prices were too expensive (I'm in Canada) for a 10 or 20 foot extension so I went with the cheaper Radio Shack adapters.

I've tied big loopy knots in my cables so that they can't be pulled back inside my crane tube so there's never any stress on the camera or cable but I know what you mean.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers