ZOE DVL - Request for Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Major Player

ZOE DVL - Request for Update

I just finished reading all the comments from the last 6 months about Zoe, including Ken's review. Before I commit to buying, I wanted to ask if there were any other comments about the ZOE DVL model in general or when used with a GL2.

My Observations:
-- The design seems to keep changing. What kind of buttons does it really have now? Still weatherproof?
-- Any further feedback on the wheel?
-- The warranty is oft-stated as 3 years but 16x9's site says 2.

I've been using a VariZoom Stealth. It recently died, just out of warranty. I described the failure to the company; they will fix it for $50. Good money after bad? (Stop laughing.)

Thanks.
Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Will,
The DVL's design refinements during the past 12-18 months have been mainly in direct response to customer comments and reviews (such as my original review). Bebob has been extremely responsive in this regard. Redesign and retooling are very expensive propositions for any manufacturer, certainly not measures taken casually.

As noted in my recent DVL review the controller is a very good mate to the GL2. I own both Zoe and Varizoom controllers and like them both. I certainly don't mean to sound ingratiating but it's true. Both usually ride along in my bag. If you've not yet tried a Zoe maybe now's a good opportunity. It's a very high-quality product.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Will. The design doesn't really keep changing; I would would say "tweaking." For instance, Ken complained about audible "clicks" when the buttons were depressed, so Zoe eliminated the buttons with the clicks. Whatever Ken wants, Ken gets. And yes, the Zoe is still weatherproof, unlike your Stealth, which I believe states that if it gets wet it may fry your camera.

The warranty is two years.

The wheel is a speed limiter, not a speed controller, as Ken points out correctly in his review. Works fine, and I put it under the "nice to have" rather than "need to have" category.

The changes made to the Zoe are good, but they are not so dramatic that owners of earlier models of the Zoe should throw-up their hands in despair. The earlier models are certainly not outdated, like a Betamax. Whoa, I reached way back for that one.

Be sure you get the Zoe DVL for the latest version. I don't know if there are any of the older models available for a reduced price. They could be a good buy. And check with B&H for a better price.

As far as spending another fifty bucks to fix the Stealth, it will still be a Stealth.

BTW, how is the JTL Everlight kit working out? Still think it was a good purchase?

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Ken, Wayne, thanks very much for the incredibly fast feedback. God, I love this place.

Ken, on this issue with buttons, there is a difference between the buttons pictured on the unit in your review and the buttons on the most recent model as shown at 16x9 and Bebob. That's the reason I asked about the buttons -- it appears the newest model has the very membrane buttons you complained about. Got any insight on that? If the new ones are quiet, no problem.

Wayne, you are right that the Stealth will still be one. I've got a fairly brutal query in to VariZoom on that very score. The fact that the problem was instantly diagnosed as the circuit board worried me. As I said when I went through this the first time, I was not expecting my Stealth to be exposed to weather and it has not been, nor has it been otherwise abused. I used the tripod and controller one day, put it in its bag, and it was broken the next time I took it out.

I checked the prices already. Seems to be $299 just about everywhere. B&H shows ZOEDVL as the part designation but pictures the original model, something I have to clear up.

As for the Everlight kit, it's been almost perfect. I've been using it with the FLK bulbs, as I stated the last time I posted. I definitely think it was a good purchase. In fact, I think I should have taken the money I saved by buying it and put it toward a Zoe in the first place, like my friends here advised!

Happy New Year and thanks for the advice (again). Maybe I'll take it this time...let's see, I wonder how much I can get for a broken Stealth on eBay?

Will
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #5

The photos at 16x9 are outdated. The images in my review are the most current. It could take several months for the new models to make their way into the retail pipe. If you want to make sure you get the most recent version I suggest giving 16x9 a call.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old January 10th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Ken, what about the photos at Bebob?

http://bebob.de/international/zoe_dvl_eng.html
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #7

Ditto

Old January 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow. If the manufacturer's Web site is behind you, I guess Wayne is right -- you get what you want.

Thanks.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers