Varizoom PG-L and Manual 16x Lens - Delay in Operation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 22nd, 2002, 01:26 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Varizoom PG-L and Manual 16x Lens - Delay in Operation

This is basically the same as my last response to my last post, but I figured maybe with this heading, the post will get more attention and response.

I got my PG-L just this past week, and it works fine with the XL1s's stock lens. However, with the manual 16x lens, there is a half-second delay between the button's depression and the start of the zoom. This is consistent regardless of zoom direction or speed. . .happens every time I try it.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this-- is it a common problem with this particular lens, or is it just my particular model. Is there a fix for it?

Tom Smith at Varizoom didn't have much to say on the matter.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:09 AM   #2
Warden

Well, I suppose 1/2 second isn't too bad. However, I would think the delay would be less. Tom Smith (Varizoom) said? Send it back for service, or kind of ignored you? He would know if they have had similar problems. The 16x manual is still rather new and there aren't that many out there. He may have not encountered this before. See if anyone else reports the problem.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 08:13 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Based on the way you're describing it, sounds to me like the issue is going to be in the lens, not the controller. Since the controller is operating the 16x auto lens just fine, and there's a lag in response time with the manual lens, with the same controller.

Could be they need to produce a controller specifically for that particular lens, as it seems the lens is not responding well to the standard LANC controller. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow myself.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 12:29 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

I appreciate it sir. No, Tom Smith was not discourteous or anything, I'm just saying he couldn't offer much help. He said to send it in if the problem persisted and they'd replace it, but that it might be a problem with the manual lens.

To me, that half second is kinda crappy. I can take that micro delay you get from the zoom rocker on the XL1s, which is about the same as the lanc controller and the stock lens, but a half second's too much.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 11:29 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

Here's the straight dope from Chris at ZGC, for anyone interested. It is not in fact my particular model of lens or the PG-L that is causing the problem. It has something to do with the way the manual 16x lens is made. There will always be a delay with the remote controls and this particular lens, and there is no way around it. Live with it or send it back (this is not, of course, how she put it-- I'm just paraphrasing).

She also said that there was not likely to be a fix because Canon considers this a prosumer lens, and does not feel it worth of being attended to.

So beware, all ye who want a zoom controller and plan to use it with the manual 16x lens.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers