Attach an ENG focus controller to a FF rig? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Attach an ENG focus controller to a FF rig?

I'm researching the feasibility of a rig that would allow both cinematic documentary work and events coverage. Naturally, focus is ever more important, and then this idea hit me:

Consider a flex focus controller like the Canon FFC-15, FFC-200, FC-40. They're affordable, great for tripod work, and transfer the rotational motion not unlike a whip*. Now consider just about any follow focus unit with a whip socket. Can you marry the two?

Sure the connections are not compatible, but it should be a simple mechanical solution. We may not even need additional gears.

Has it been done before? Are there any available solutions to make it happen?

(* If you're not familiar with the flex controllers, here's a closeup of the cable terminals: http://www.salesbaron.net/f/ABD011.jpg )
Drew Lahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Drew are you thinking of keeping the FF on and being able to plug in a focus cable to where the whip or speed crank goes? I should work but I don't know how compatible all the gearing is.

Varizoom also makes something similar that could be used.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/234477-REG/VariZoom_VZ_FCF22_VZFCF22_Rear_Focus_Control.html
-Garrett
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Drew are you thinking of keeping the FF on and being able to plug in a focus cable to where the whip or speed crank goes?
Exactly. Many good FF units are out there these days, and they're a good addition to anyone's kit. It's about doing this little mechanical adaptation inbetween.

The Varizoom unit you mentioned is simply their own flex focus controller, comparable to the Canon/Fujinon/JVC units.
Drew Lahat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers