Varizoom controller focusing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 8th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Varizoom controller focusing

The focus control on the varizoom . . . is it only a manual focus (equivalent to turning the ring on the lens), or does it have a push 'af' button like on the standard lens? Also, I imagine their controllers work with the 3x as well?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #2
Major Player

The VZ Pro-LX only has manual focus (no push AF). I have made the suggestion to Varizoom that push AF should be added, but don't know if/when it will happen. Sure would be a nice addition. I don't have the 3X lens, but I'm pretty sure their controllers work with it the same as the standard 16X.
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I imagine since the VZ Pro-LX does not, then none of their models do? Does the Canon version, or others?
Thanks,
Jim
Old January 10th, 2003, 02:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I found my answer to be 'no', none do.

Is the Canon ZR1000 comparable to the Varizoom Stealth rather than the Pro-L?
Old January 10th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'd say yes, Jim. Functionally as well as size-wise.

There's an ongoing discussion on the subject here which also mentions a new controller that may be coming onto the market this year.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #6
Warden

It was posted here several months ago and is on Bogen's site http://www.bogenphoto.com/news/right...e=1&numpages=1 It mentions manual or AF control. I haven't seen this unit but it is probably typical Bogen/Manfrotto quality.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, I had read the other thread. It seems the zr1000 is the way to go considering my budget. (I hadn't planned on buying one, until I got my camera and realised how impossible it is to zoom accurately, let alone the shake from touching the camera at all.)

The problem with the thread, is it says the pro-l is 'more substantial' in that it is made of metal. I don't care. I care about how it functions practiacally. The thread does not compare them in any other way.

Is the zoom control similar to the pro-l or the stealth? or different all together?

The new Bogen looks interesting, I'll have to look into it further.

thanks all,
Jim
Old January 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Manfrotto 522 LANC VideoCamera Remote

So I asked Bogen about the AF function on their controller . . . Here's the response:

The LANC handle can control AF to MF switching on cameras where such a change is controlled by software. However, cameras that have a mechanical switch for AF/MF control such as Canon's XL-1s or the Sony PD-150, etc., will need the switch in the MF position for the handle's forward to back focus buttons to work properly. The AF/MF switch on the LANC handle is therefore inactive in such cameras with a mechanical focus switch.
Regards,
Kevin V. Lackey
Technical Support

It seems to sell for about $275 (at B&H). . . it looks like the Canon is the best option for a cheap controller.
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Is any new information on the Canon/Bogen 522C Lanc Control for the GL2/XM2. How it works, user manual available, Zoom speed control?.
I have the small Vari Zoom Stealth, and is really difficult to control the zoom speed. Mainly at low rates.

Best to all.
Ignacio

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers