DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   Zoom glitch with VariZoom and XL1 – anyone experience/confirm this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/59152-zoom-glitch-varizoom-xl1-anyone-experience-confirm.html)

James Binder January 26th, 2006 12:26 AM

Zoom glitch with VariZoom and XL1 – anyone experience/confirm this?

(Did some research on another thread here and wanted to confirm this…)

*Zoom ‘jumps’ or glitches when zooming from the very slowest speed to a slightly faster speed*

Just bought a VariZoom (Stealth LX) on ebay and want to make sure it’s not the VariZoom, but rather the way the XL1 zooms. Again, it seems impossible to get a smooth zoom from the very slowest zoom to one slightly faster. What happens is a sudden click or bump up in speed – very noticeable and not smooth at all.

As I mentioned, I read on another thread that this is a function of the zoom mechanism – being that there are eight ‘steps/speeds’ in all – with the largest gap being between the first and second speeds.

Anyone else use a VeriZoom and experience this?

Thanks very much --

Alan Salway February 2nd, 2006 08:08 AM

I am not using Verizoom, But my zoom on my XL1 will sometimes do this.
I will start to zoom it will go slow and then all of the sudden jump and go fast. It is weird! I just thought it might be a problem in my zoom control, like a bad connection or loose wire? Let me know if you figure it out!

I have a friend that is the greatest at wiring and electronics I might have him check it out!

Les Wilson February 9th, 2006 09:12 PM

I read somewhere here that the Stealth only supports 3 speeds in each direction. If the XL1 has more than that, then Varizoom had to make the call about which Stealth speed mapped to which XL1 speed. Therefore, the concept of skipping speeds while ramping up is well, fundamental. This is a fundamental design problem with the Stealth. Another is that it is very difficult to zoom out reliably with the little joystick due to the design of the human thumb.

Thomas McKay February 9th, 2006 09:55 PM

VariZoom Stealth LX

James,

This is Tom From VariZoom. The Stealth has four speeds in each direction and is not ideal for the XL1 because the camera has 8 in each direction. It better suited for the Sony cameras

The Rock or the ProL would be better choice and if you like we could take that unit as a trade in for a demo unit of different model that would do better and cost a few dollars more.

Just give a call and ask for Tom or Andy.

Thanks,

Tom

www.varizoom.com

512-219-7722

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Binder
(Did some research on another thread here and wanted to confirm this…)

*Zoom ‘jumps’ or glitches when zooming from the very slowest speed to a slightly faster speed*

Just bought a VariZoom (Stealth LX) on ebay and want to make sure it’s not the VariZoom, but rather the way the XL1 zooms. Again, it seems impossible to get a smooth zoom from the very slowest zoom to one slightly faster. What happens is a sudden click or bump up in speed – very noticeable and not smooth at all.

As I mentioned, I read on another thread that this is a function of the zoom mechanism – being that there are eight ‘steps/speeds’ in all – with the largest gap being between the first and second speeds.

Anyone else use a VeriZoom and experience this?

Thanks very much --

James Binder March 2nd, 2006 11:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses – sorry it took me a few to get back here…

Thomas –

Thank you for the information and honesty (how refreshing from a company!) – I wasn’t aware of the difference in speeds. And thanks for the offer -- I will definitely check into the models you mentioned and give you a call!

Thanks again.

Gary Williams May 16th, 2006 01:40 PM

Thats the kind of company I like doing buisness with, just bought a zoom controler 8 pin for my hd100u varizoom was very professional and helpful to, eager to please. I will continue to buy more equipment from them.