LANC controller pinouts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Trustee

LANC controller pinouts?

I was just looking at a DIY build to do zooming on a DVX and was wondering if the XL1s was just as simple. Does anyone know the pinouts for the LANC on the XL1s?
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:14 AM   #2
Wrangler

At least onthe XL1 they are standard LANC pinouts. Tip is the LANC DC, ring is LANC signal, sleeve is ground.
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Trustee

I had found a DIY build that had a potentiaometer hooked up to a DVX, no microcontroller or anything. I'd assume that the DVX supports the same LANC standard, how does that work? Is that signal coioncidence?

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/remote/

has anyone tried something like this with the XL1s? I'd hate to experiment with mine :)
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

LANC is a Sony protocol/standard that is mainly supported in equipment from Sony, Canon, and a few others. (e.g., some Videonics and Pinnacle products have supported LANC for edditing as well as the zoom controllers from a number of companies offered for camcorder control). LANC is based on a highly structured 9600 bps serial data stream, but it is not serial as implemented in the RS-232 port found on a typical PC. IT is based on a master and a slave unit.

At one time you could buy a copy of the LANC specification from Sony. Interesting reading if you are technically incline. It was developed as a means of controlling a wide range of consumer electronics, but mainly is found in consumer/prosumer camcorders and a few VCRs.

JVC and Panasonic do not have a history of suporting LANC. The schematic at the site you reference does NOT come even close to what is needed to do LANC control of a XL1 series camcorder. The text of the site even says that it is much simpler than LANC, and has limited functions compared to LANC.

I would not try it due to the risk of damaging the LANC controller chip in the XL1s. (The On/OFF button shorts the DC power from the LANC jack, and the potentiometer could short the serial data to ground as well.)
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Trustee

thank you...I wasn't going to try it here without some one else having done it first, just not that adventurous...I've found many serial based lanc projects online, but didn't want to do that much work...this one I'll go to the store for :)
Old September 1st, 2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
JVC and Panasonic do not have a history of suporting LANC.
Does HVX200 come under same history? Or do they have something their own to control focusing?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers