DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   LANC on an A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/67294-lanc-a1.html)

Darren Rousar May 13th, 2006 12:37 PM

LANC on an A1

Anyone have good (or bad) experiences with a Bogen / Manfrotto 521 LANC on an A1?

Michael Stowe May 13th, 2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Anyone have good (or bad) experiences with a Bogen / Manfrotto 521 LANC on an A1?

Do a search on LANC. Someone talked about which controllers worked good. I know that one of the bogen allows for one touch AF which is a nice feature.

Alexander Karol May 13th, 2006 04:52 PM

No experiences with Bogen lanc controllers, but I can tell you that the Varizoom Stealth controller works wonderfully with it. I recommend you take a look at them too.

Alex Thames May 13th, 2006 06:17 PM

I wouldn't recommend the Stealth at all. It has a strange "rocker" if you can even call it that. It's more of a lever. The whole unit overall looks cheap and plasticky and reeks of toy-ness. Also, some of the functions on the Stealth may not work with the HC1/A1. Even the Varizoom Rocks don't have full functionality. Perhaps you can look into some of the bigger versions by Varizoom, or go with a Zoe 2005 or just the Manfrotto one. All those are better than the Stealth and Rock in my opinion.

Michael Stowe May 13th, 2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
I wouldn't recommend the Stealth at all. It has a strange "rocker" if you can even call it that. It's more of a lever. The whole unit overall looks cheap and plasticky and reeks of toy-ness. Also, some of the functions on the Stealth may not work with the HC1/A1. Even the Varizoom Rocks don't have full functionality. Perhaps you can look into some of the bigger versions by Varizoom, or go with a Zoe 2005 or just the Manfrotto one. All those are better than the Stealth and Rock in my opinion.

Completely disagree with you. I have the varizoom stealth and all functions work perfectly...the rocker/lever included. What functions don't work? I can see recommending another type, but to say what you did about the stealth is just incorrect. Now...there may be a better one or 1000 out there for much higher dollars, but it depends on what you are using it for. I am not a professional and am fine with this unit. All of the items included on this unit work fine with the A1 no matter what was said. I believe he may have been misleading you because he was talking about the one push AF on the other varizoom unit which does not work with the A1. This unit does not even have this function. Yes... this unit is made of hard plastic, but if you are not in the professional ranks you will be fine. Unless you would like the one push AF which is a nice feature. I know of only 2 units that work with the A1 on this.

* even the experts should check their facts before not recommending or recommeding a product since so many newbies, like me, rely on it.

Darren Rousar May 13th, 2006 08:10 PM

Thanks guys.
I'm now leaning towards the Bogen - Manfrotto 521Pro.

Michael Stowe May 13th, 2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys.
I'm now leaning towards the Bogen - Manfrotto 521Pro.

Go with it if this is the one that supports one shot af. Not sure of the price differnce, but I can assure you that the stealth has perfectly working zoom and focus on it. It does not have the one shot AF though.

Alex Thames May 13th, 2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
Completely disagree with you. I have the varizoom stealth and all functions work perfectly...the rocker/lever included.

Maybe I'm remembered the model wrong, if so, sorry. But I know one of the Varizoom compact Lanc controllers have functions that don't work. Maybe it was the Rock. But still, my main complaint with the Stealth is that I don't like the lever. I would prefer a more typical rocker type.

Stu Holmes May 14th, 2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Darren - some threads about LANCs including the Manfrotto 521 (actually 521Pro) are :

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...nfrotto+521Pro

Darren Rousar May 14th, 2006 04:43 PM

The Push Auto Focus was the main reason I want the 521Pro rather than the straight 521. I thought I read somewhere that the A1 can do PAF but now I can't find the reference to it. In the last link you gave me Stu I was left doubting. I checked the A1 brochure I got from Sony's site and there's no mention of push auto focus.

Does anyone know for sure whether the A1 can do PAF?

Michael Stowe May 14th, 2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

The Push Auto Focus was the main reason I want the 521Pro rather than the straight 521. I thought I read somewhere that the A1 can do PAF but now I can't find the reference to it. In the last link you gave me Stu I was left doubting. I checked the A1 brochure I got from Sony's site and there's no mention of push auto focus.

Hi..it is my understanding that the A1 does not directly do it from camera, but the 521Pro and another lanc controller can do it with the A1. After much debate last night, I decided to return the stealth and go with the 521Pro which will be here Wed. This should provide the one push AF as Alex has stated.

Marc Ries May 14th, 2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

I have an HC1 with the Bogen 521Pro, so I will assume that it will work with the A1. In any case, there is no normal way to get PAF on the HC1 without the LANC (i.e., no button to push), so I don't think you will find it in the manual.

If you go to or download the Bogan LANC catalog, they include a spreadsheet of cameras and models and what is or is not supported (and the HC1 is listed as supporting PAF with the 521Pro).

Michael Stowe May 14th, 2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Ries
I have an HC1 with the Bogen 521Pro, so I will assume that it will work with the A1. In any case, there is no normal way to get PAF on the HC1 without the LANC (i.e., no button to push), so I don't think you will find it in the manual.

If you go to or download the Bogan LANC catalog, they include a spreadsheet of cameras and models and what is or is not supported (and the HC1 is listed as supporting PAF with the 521Pro).

Here is the page that lists compatability. A1 is listed as having the one push feature with the 521pro.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/3306?livid=103|117&idx=118

Stu Holmes May 14th, 2006 06:35 PM

that's really pretty good news. I'll be getting a LANC controller probably sometime this year and i think the PAF feature really will be rather nice as i have often been in a situ when i want to remain in manual focus, but i want the cam to do a quick auto-focus on current frame first.

So 521Pro or the Zoe DVL (i think this supports PAF too) look pretty good all in all.

Darren Rousar May 14th, 2006 06:36 PM

Thanks guys,
Now I just need the job to come through so I can order the cam, LANC, etc... :)

Fingers crossed!