Which cameras support WIRED remote control?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old June 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which cameras support WIRED remote control??

As I understand it, certain Sony and Canon video cameras offer wired remote control via Sony's LANC system?

What I'm trying to find is a list of cameras that support this kind of wired remote control functionality. I can find all kinds of info about the controllers themselves wherein they state that they work with "All Sony and Canon models w/ LANC... " but without finding and reading through spec sheets for the cameras themselves, I can't find anywhere that has a list such as: "Compatible with the following Canon cameras".

Obviously the controller manufacturers assume you already know if your camera has the connection you need.

Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive video camera (it will be somewhat hazardous duty) that supports LANC (or any kind of wired remote) would be greatly appreciated.
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anybody?

Hopefully someone with such a camera that supports wired remote control will jump in?
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Some progress & more questions

Ok, continuing the search, I've found at:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycamCamcorders

that the Sony DCR-HC96 is the only unit listed there that sounds promising:
>>LANC Terminal: Yes (Stereo Mini)

I also have read that something like the Manfrotto 522 LANC Remote Control works with cameras that have a LANC port or a "docking station". Haven't figured out what they're talking about here yet...
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ribich
Ok, continuing the search, I've found at:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycamCamcorders

that the Sony DCR-HC96 is the only unit listed there that sounds promising:
>>LANC Terminal: Yes (Stereo Mini)

I also have read that something like the Manfrotto 522 LANC Remote Control works with cameras that have a LANC port or a "docking station". Haven't figured out what they're talking about here yet...

hello tim,

it's advisable to read first the monfrotto web site. not all remote controls function are available for all video cameras.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #5
Major Player

a lot of cameras have LANC ports the Canon XL series for example

but be careful. Not all controllers work with all cameras. allthough LANC is supposed to be a kind of standard it isnt.

You need to buy the correct controller for the camera you are using

as far as a list of cameras with LANC i dont know if such a list exists but i would think that the cameras spec sheet would list the lanc port

you could go to B&H's web site and check all the lanc controllers and each one should list the cameras it will work with
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Salzlechner
as far as a list of cameras with LANC i dont know if such a list exists but i would think that the cameras spec sheet would list the lanc port

you could go to B&H's web site and check all the lanc controllers and each one should list the cameras it will work with
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately that's part the tail chasing I've been going through. Most all the specs for controllers simply say (understandably) something like "works with all cameras equipped with... "

As there's a lot of camera manufacturers out there making many different models, I thought perhaps someone who owns or knows of a particular model could help narrow down what otherwise is a pretty broad search.

Again, for this particular purpose I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive camera (it will be mounted on a remotely controlled device attached to an airplane strut).

In the meantime, I'll keep searching... :-)
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Progress

The "compare models" feature on Canon's site does not list LANC as part of the features it lists, but doing a search for "LANC" at the top of:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=173

Appears to bring up a list of Canon models from pro to consumer that list LANC connectivity. Getting there...
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Tim,
in my experience almost ALL cameras offer this, even my Sony DSC F828 still camera has LANC as does my D8, I don't think Sony make many cameras that don't have LANC and the same would go for most models from other manufacturers. It's so pervasive that's probably why you don't find it as a comparitive item.

For your needs and you haven't been overly specific any of the PCXXX range from Sony would work quite well, we've used a PC100 in a fighter pulling max G without a hitch.
Outside in the wind the only advice I'd give is to put cling wrap over the mic(s), that amount of air pressure can blow them out. Also watch out for getting crud on the lens, getting the camera in just the right place to avoid dust and water getting on the lens could be tricky. Also watch out for vibration ruining your shots.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Additional info

Hi Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
Tim,
in my experience almost ALL cameras offer this, even my Sony DSC F828 still camera has LANC as does my D8, I don't think Sony make many cameras that don't have LANC and the same would go for most models from other manufacturers. It's so pervasive that's probably why you don't find it as a comparitive item.
Slow learner here, but I'm finally figuring this out...

Unfortunately my first plunge into digi video was with my Optura XI which doesn't have such a feature. A bit embarrassing to realize that I'm about the _only_ one so deprived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant
For your needs and you haven't been overly specific any of the PCXXX range from Sony would work quite well, we've used a PC100 in a fighter pulling max G without a hitch.
Outside in the wind the only advice I'd give is to put cling wrap over the mic(s), that amount of air pressure can blow them out. Also watch out for getting crud on the lens, getting the camera in just the right place to avoid dust and water getting on the lens could be tricky. Also watch out for vibration ruining your shots.
Thanks for the tips. Given that we'll be flying an experimental class plane, I don't think (hopefully!) G-forces will be a big factor. :)

The vibration issue has me mildly optimistic at best that we'll get much useful footage. My pilot picked up one of these at a recent show and that's what we'll be using:

http://flyfbi.com/html/camera_mount.html
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Best source of info yet

Actually found a number of others had asked the same question about "which camera has LANC... ".

One of those discussions pointed to the best list I've come across so far-- in the support section here:

http://www.viosport.com
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Pretty much all Sony camcorders have LANC. As far as which Canon camcorders have LANC and which do not, it is very simple. None of the small Canon consumer single-CCD models have it anymore. However the Canon GL2, XL2 and XL H1 do indeed have LANC. So do the older Canon GL1, XL1 and XL1S. The small Canon consumer camcorders have not had LANC for a couple of years now. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Still searching

Hi Chris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Pretty much all Sony camcorders have LANC....
If the chart I mentioned above is correct, it seems that w/ Sony too, their lower end models don't have LANC. For example, in the series below I'm over $600 before that series does have LANC.

DCR-HC26 $290 LANC n/a
DCR-HC36 $480 LANC n/a
DCR-HC46 $549 LANC n/a

DCR-HC96 $630 LANC yes

Given that for this particular exercise, we're in the early stages of testing the use of a camcorder attached to an airplane strut, I'd prefer to find something as cheap (aka "disposable") as possible. :)

Thought I might have found a suitable Sony on eBay, but that turned out not to have manual a shutter speed option which I thought we'd need.

Apparently Sony & Canon feel this is a feature their users don't want and/or need.

As I understand it, none of the other models from other companies offer any kind of remote control? Seems like a significant limitation to me-- depending on one's own workflow of course...
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers