LANC Controllers: On the Cheap? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LANC Controllers: On the Cheap?

In one of those odd cosmic coincidences, I received my B&H Package with my A1 on the same day that we got a new XL2 at work. The XL2 came with one of the cheap NY "Extras" kit (the lens cleaning kit, the $10 tripod, and an invitation to turn your grey market import into a real camera).

However, this one surprised me. The "el cheapo" tripod came with a LANC controller that ACTUALLY WORKED on the XL2:

focus
zoom
selectable zoom speed
camera on/off
record

I checked and the list price of this beauty is about $50 on amazon.com. I was able to easily remove the handle and use it as a standalone LANC controller for both the XL2 and A1.

This leads me to my question. What LANC controller/shoulder mount setups are you all using? How much was your setup? And most importantly, are you able to use "Push Auto" focus?

Quick Note: I use the Video Pro 800 Shoulder Mount. It's a very sturdy all metal shoulder mount, but I'd like to upgrade to the spider brace.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH to Remote Lens Controllers. Dave, can you post a pic of that controller... or send one or two to me by email, and I'll post them here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Halliday
This leads me to my question. What LANC controller/shoulder mount setups are you all using? How much was your setup? And most importantly, are you able to use "Push Auto" focus?

Before I bought a A1, I used a Sony tripod with a built-in LANC remote. It sort of works, but the zoom speed is fixed on the A1 and way too fast. So I bought a Manfrotto 521 instead and the zoom speed is variable on this remote. The 521 does not have a push focus button.
Jerome Marot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Digital Concepts 63'' Tripod with 8 Function Remote Control

I tested it again and it has two focus buttons "near" and "far" that push the focus in that direction. it does not have "push auto" focus. Again though, for $50, that sounds a lot cheaper than Canon's $400 or the prosumer LANC controllers in the $250-$300 range.
Attached Thumbnails
LANC Controllers: On the Cheap?-digital-concepts.jpg  
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for telling us about this LANC controller and confirming that the focus buttons work. I will order one.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers