Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #46
Major Player

Chris

Today I tried my cheap Jessops Lanc (bought several years ago for my now defunct XM2) on the Canon A1. I had the A1 hooked up to a laptop via firewire, so was able to focus using the larger screen display (and I was recording direct to disk). The Lanc worked fine, once I got used to the delay between sending a signal and the result appearing on screen. I could focus manually, and zoom without any problems.

But I was focussing on a bird table that was still, and the camera was on a tripod (not wobbling on the end of a boom). And I think I would have had problems trying to follow-focus on a moving subject.

The biggest problem was that the A1 was automatically doing its power saving mode, even when it was recording to the hard disk. It wook a while, but eventually I found out how to switch auto power save off, and had no further problems (except the neightbour's cats frightening the birds off).

One other thing I did was try to use my remote pan and tilt head. I think the weight of the Canon might be just too much for it - it was far less responsive than when it was used with a Sony A1.
Annie Haycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Interested in lanc controller. what do you use?

i like the concept of a lanc controller for my xha1. I recently bought the bogen mono pod with retractable feet. great item. so what is a good unit that works well with this cam giving control to the most options?

Last edited by Doug Rose; February 2nd, 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: more info
Doug Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM   #48
Inner Circle

I've got this one pegged it's recommended for the XHA1, but I'd like to read more opinions about it.
Cheers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=330007&is=REG
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Thanks allan, I was looking at that one to, but since I've never used or owned one, would love to get feed back. let me know if you get it and what you think.

Last edited by Doug Rose; February 2nd, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: correction
Doug Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Ok and if I stumble on any reviews, I'll shout :)
Cheers.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM   #51
Wrangler

I have the same Varizoom VZ-Rock, it's a good fit for the XH-A1. I mainly just use the zoom, start, stop, and stand by features, and they work great. Not a big fan of the focus feature, it's difficult for me to operate.

Try searching DV Info's Remote Lens Controllers forum, lots of information there.

Here's one thread specifically for the XH-A1
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83779
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #52
Trustee

Varizoom Rock works

I find it invaluable. However, only two functions are worth anything, the start/stop and the zoom. The focus buttons are hard to push and the focus changes as fast as lightning. It would only be useful for getting something out of focus fast. One other niggle... the zoom speeds are not gradual and I find that keeping the zoom rocker in a constant position is tough especially when doing camera moves. Changing the zoom speed to "constant" on the camera has no effect on the Varizoom control.

Now, there might be some camera settings that would mitigate these issues, but I haven't found them yet.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Hi guys..........

You're probably already aware of this, but possibly not, so here goes......

The Canon A1/ G1 and Lancs have an issue with the "Focus" buttons. I cannot prove it affects Lanc's other than the Canon ZR 1000 / 2000 but strongly suspect that it does.

In short, due to a "design limitation" (Canons words, not mine) the "Focus" buttons on their Lancs give extremely insensitive movement of the focus mechanism on these cameras (under certain conditions).

My suggestion is to NOT look forward to, or "bet the farm" on any Lanc use of the "Focus" buttons in relation to these cameras, as the result could be bitter dissapointment.

There are no other issues I'm aware of with Canon Lancs with these cameras.

The biggest difference I have seen so far between Canon and other makes with regard to these cameras has been in the implementation (or otherwise) of the "Push AF" feature.

Available on the ZR2000, but extremely variable across other makes.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #54
Regular Crew

My friend used the canon zoom controller on his tripod while i use the libec one which came with my tripod from zotz.

The main differences is that mine is simply starts / stop rec and zoom in / out. While his has a knob that allows you to adjust the speed of zoom and focus. We both agree that the focus is pointless.

Personally i prefer being able to control the speed of my zoom myself, while with his you set it to the speed you like and thats it, until you switch to a different number. As mentioned before keeping the speed constant while panning or tilting is fairly difficult, but Im not one to pan / tilt while zooming very often.
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #55
Major Player

Here's one for the EX1

http://www.vimeo.com/655026

It can be set to control either Canon or Fujinon 8 pin lens controls, plus it has an adapter for use with the EX1.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #56
Major Player

The Varizoom linked to in this thread is an awesome utility that I use regularly. Definitely helps with event shooting. Very smooth zooming, too!
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
You're probably already aware of this, but possibly not, so here goes......

The Canon A1/ G1 and Lancs have an issue with the "Focus" buttons. I cannot prove it affects Lanc's other than the Canon ZR 1000 / 2000 but strongly suspect that it does.

In short, due to a "design limitation" (Canons words, not mine) the "Focus" buttons on their Lancs give extremely insensitive movement of the focus mechanism on these cameras (under certain conditions).

My suggestion is to NOT look forward to, or "bet the farm" on any Lanc use of the "Focus" buttons in relation to these cameras, as the result could be bitter dissapointment.

There are no other issues I'm aware of with Canon Lancs with these cameras.

The biggest difference I have seen so far between Canon and other makes with regard to these cameras has been in the implementation (or otherwise) of the "Push AF" feature.

Available on the ZR2000, but extremely variable across other makes.

CS
Chris I agree with you completely. I have however read that Bogen is making a newer version of their 523Pro that is going to be specific to the A1/G1 and the Lanc issue. Funny how they address the issue and not Canon...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Kell, where did you read that?
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Hi Kellen............

As I understand it, Bogen can't address this problem as it isn't really a Lanc issue, but a camera issue.

From my limited understanding, it has something to do with the way the A1/ G1 cameras interpret the Lanc command to "seek forward focus" and "seek backwards focus".

Because of the design of the internal lens control, the fixed length "step" command results in widely differing amounts of focus shift due to the fact that at one zoom setting, 1 step command equals 4 inches of focus shift, at the other extreme of zoom the same single step command equals 40 to 80 feet of focus shift.

As this fixed length command is what comes from all Lancs, I do not perceive it to be a "fixable" problem from within the Lancs themselves.

Whether this "design limitation" will ripple through subsequent itterations of these cameras I do not know, but am not holding my breath.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Hi Paul

Looks like the Libec ZC-9EX controls only zoom and Rec start/stop.
Got any control on focus?.

Reading this forum I realise that finding a remote for both A1 and EX1 is difficult
or no go. So for the time being I am considering a remote for the A1. Any one using a Manfreto 521 with the A1. I am considering it because it is cheap and ready available in India.

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers