Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Bump into this thread as my Varizoom VZ-Rock stopped working after 1 year 2 months. One of the pins locking the spring mechansim fell out during the second use a year ago. Got a new replacement. Now the zoom level just stuck (won't spring back to level position) and the Record button just won't register from time to time. Actually very disappointed to VZ product.

I'm going to get the Manfrotto 521Proi
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #107
Inner Circle

Anyone using the Manfrotto 523PROi with the XH-A1 S model, I read where the controller zoom is slow to kick in .. is that right?

I'm looking to use one with the Miller Compass 15 head, and need to know what is the diameter of the top of the 523PROi handle thanks.

Cheers.
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #108
Inner Circle

I am using it with my XH-A1s. The zoom rocket speed can be set at either progressive or fixed speed. It's all customizable.
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #109
Inner Circle

Thanks TC. So you're not having any trouble with slow zoom access times?

Checking around seems the diameter of the 523i pan handle is 19mm so I have to buy another one to fit the Compass head .. part number 522PB16. More bucks :(

Cheers.
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #110
Major Player

low cost lanc controller for XH-a1

Found this on ebay....hype says it will work on the XH-A1.
The Canon controllers range from 170 to 350 bucks. this one is $39 !
Probably to good to be true.

Has anyone purchased one of these...sure dont want to hurt my A1 by buying some off brand equipment.

Heres the link Tripod LANC Remote Control for Canon ZR-1000 ZR-2000 - eBay (item 330481127569 end time Dec-04-10 08:42:55 PST)
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #111
Trustee

Sounds far to good to be true. Mine cost me about $270, slightly less than shown here Keene Retail Ltd but same Manfrotto model - better than the Canon ones.

Don't see how anyone could market a reliable LANC for $40 but I've been wrong before.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #112
Trustee

FWIW, this one works and is very compact. Zoom control only. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361366-REG/Libec_ZC_3DV.html
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #113
Inner Circle

I'm surprised we haven't seen this earlier .. if the on screen display means camera LCD, depending what info it shows that could be handy.

It looks Ok but time on the web will tell if they last the distance .. stuff out of China is improving all the time.

I've got this Manfrotto Keene Retail Ltd it's excellent and the rec review is great to have .. but I wouldn't mind if it was a bit smaller.

Cheers.
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #114
Major Player

If it werent for being afraid I'd harm my A1, I would order and check it out.
A lanc is a passive device right? (no voltage sent to cam)....although it could "short" the battery power if wired incorrectly. Not worth trying the test.

Thanks for the tips,
Jeff
Old November 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #115
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

I have bought of these guys before. Their items are not top quality and you'll get what you pay for.
(CHEAP STUFF)

Do yourself a favour and look into the Manforotto 521PROI lanc control. You wont be disappointed.

Matthew
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
Found this on ebay....hype says it will work on the XH-A1.
The Canon controllers range from 170 to 350 bucks. this one is $39 !
Probably to good to be true.

Has anyone purchased one of these...sure dont want to hurt my A1 by buying some off brand equipment.

Heres the link Tripod LANC Remote Control for Canon ZR-1000 ZR-2000 - eBay (item 330481127569 end time Dec-04-10 08:42:55 PST)
Hi Jeff

I bought one of this exact brand for my Canon XH-A1s. It works really well.
I'm sure it isn't as well made as the other more expensive brands but I've used this one on countless occasions filming concerts and stage productions.
I don't usually record to tape so I haven't used the record button at all, but the zoom is really smooth and the speed is adjustable as you are zooming.

I'd say it's worth the investment.

Richard
Richard Tatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #117
Major Player

At 1/10 the cost, Im gambling on this unit. Surely it will work on either my A1 or GL1. Whats another $40 ha.

I can always get a pro model from B&H.

Wired LANC Remote Control for Canon XH-A1, XL-2, GL-2 - eBay (item 150517372727 end time Dec-08-10 01:10:02 PST)

Will post results to this thread when I try it out.
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #118
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson View Post
At 1/10 the cost, Im gambling on this unit. Surely it will work on either my A1 or GL1. Whats another $40 ha.

I can always get a pro model from B&H.

Wired LANC Remote Control for Canon XH-A1, XL-2, GL-2 - eBay (item 150517372727 end time Dec-08-10 01:10:02 PST)

Will post results to this thread when I try it out.
Jeff, how did your purchase go? I would like to buy a LANC for my XH-A1, and if I can save some $$, the better my bank account will feel. :)

I would love to know how it worked out for you.

Thanks!
Micky
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #119
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Hulse View Post
.... I would like to buy a LANC for my XH-A1, and if I can save some $$, the better my bank account will feel. :) I would love to know how it worked out for you. Thanks!
Micky
the inexpensive one from b&h works absolutely GREAT !! i love it better than the Canon one at more $$$
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #120
Major Player

Hi Rodger! Thanks for the reply and info! I really appreciate it!

Is this the LANC you are talking about:

VariZoom VZRock Variable-Rocker for LANC Camcorders VZ-ROCK B&H

Do you use it with an XH-A1?

Not as cheap as that Ebay one, but definitely cheaper than the other mentioned here. It would be interesting to know how that one compares to the Ebay one. :)

Thanks again!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers