Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 26th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #16
Major Player

LANC controllers with Push AF for Canon XH A1?

James, does the bebob DVXL support Push AF on Canon XL A1?
What other LANC controllers support PAF on A1?

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #17
Major Player

The Manfrotto 521 will work just as well as any of the more expensive controllers and will mount to a spiderbrace. The Bebob is a very polished unit and has great control. I like the Bebobs mounting system more than the Manfrotto, but as far as rocker control is concerned they both work the same. You could save a lot of money going with the 521 and get the same results from the rocker.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #18
Inner Circle

There's been a lot of confusion on the compatibility of the newer Manfrotto lanc models (like the 522 or 523, and 523Pro) with all the A1 functions (PAF for instance). Can anybody confirm which does work with the A1, and which one doesn't?

And if not a Manfrotto, perhaps this Varizoom Rock will work:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Again, the compatibility list at www.BHPhotovideo.com doesn't mention the A1, but indicates some limitations to important functions with other Canon models...

TIA.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; January 29th, 2007 at 10:03 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #19
New Boot

From my experience using the Manfrotto 523PRO with the Canon XH-A1: all controls appear to be functional, except the "Push AF" button which apparently does nothing.

It is worth mentioning that the manual focus controls can be used in both manual focus and autofocus modes -with the same behaviour as turning the focusing ring-. The On/Off button seems to put the XH-A1 in a "locked" state (exposure lock settings are retained).
Frederic Gittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Frederic, did you try the Push Auto Focus when the camera was in manual, or auto focus mode? It should be switched to manual for the button to function!
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Bogen 521PRO problems

Does anyone have any experience with the Bogen 521PRO? I very recently picked one up for my Sony V1U, and I have two problems with it:

1. Several times the controller has shut down the camera within a few seconds of having manually turned the camera on.

2. Several times the controller has shut down the camera *while recording*

3. The last thing has to do with build quality: all of the controller's switches besides the rocker are of the membrane type. On my particular controller, one of the membrane switches feels and sounds OK, but the other ones both feel and sound horrible. Basically, it seems that when you press them, the entire plastic membrane cover is sticking somewhere, so the feel is mushy, and each press is followed by a slightly delayed plasticky unsticking click that's clearly picked up by the camera's mic.

I'm trying to figure out whether mine is defective or just somehow incompatible with the V1. Also, I'd like to know whether these membrane switches are typical for the Bogens or whether mine is a reject.
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #22
New Boot

Piotr,

I do confirm that the Push AF button of the Manfrotto 523PRO seems to operate nothing on the Canon XH-A1 in both AF and manual focus modes. Nothing special here; this is a common limitation of the 523PRO with many camcorders.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Thanks Frederic,
I've talked to a Manfrotto engineer (actually employed and working here in Poland) and he told me a brand new controller (similar in form and functions to the MN523Pro) is being prepared especially for the XH series. He said the Canon's implementation of LANC protocol has always been problematic, but the new controller will be able to do with an XH exactly what the 523Pro can now with Sony. For focus or PAF to operate, the camcorder must be put into manual focus mode before connecting the controller.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #24
Major Player

PAF using Bebob

[QUOTE=Toenis Liivamaegi]James, does the bebob DVXL support Push AF on Canon XL A1?
What other LANC controllers support PAF on A1?

Canon A1, I cannot say, it DOES work on Sony's A1u. Go to their website, I recall it answered my particular questions. The zoom feel is outstanding. I can creep zoom to next Sunday with it. Also, it supports all the cameras I would likely buy, so if I upgrade, it's one less thing to have to upgrade.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, the pdf manual for bebob zoe -dvxl clearly states that the PAF and switching from auto to manual focus is available only to Sony and Canon XM2 cameras - still no go for the A1!
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
... For focus or PAF to operate, the camcorder must be put into manual focus mode before connecting the controller.
Piotr,

My experience with the Manfrotto 523PRO connected to the Canon XH-A1 is quite different and very consistent: I never got anything to happen when pressing Push AF on the 523PRO. I have tried what you describe, as well as a few other combinations. Did you ever get the Push AF button of this controller to work on this camera?

On the other hand, manual focus controls always work, with one caveat: in autofocus mode, the camera regains control as soon as you stop pressing a focus button. This is very consistent with the behaviour of the camera when using the focusing ring.
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz
Does anyone have any experience with the Bogen 521PRO? I very recently picked one up for my Sony V1U, and I have two problems with it:

1. Several times the controller has shut down the camera within a few seconds of having manually turned the camera on.

2. Several times the controller has shut down the camera *while recording*

3. The last thing has to do with build quality: all of the controller's switches besides the rocker are of the membrane type. On my particular controller, one of the membrane switches feels and sounds OK, but the other ones both feel and sound horrible. Basically, it seems that when you press them, the entire plastic membrane cover is sticking somewhere, so the feel is mushy, and each press is followed by a slightly delayed plasticky unsticking click that's clearly picked up by the camera's mic.

I'm trying to figure out whether mine is defective or just somehow incompatible with the V1. Also, I'd like to know whether these membrane switches are typical for the Bogens or whether mine is a reject.
I've had the 521PRO for about two weeks. With my Z1U, it's worked flawlessly. Can't speak about your on/off problems with the V1U but sticky buttons sounds like a defective unit.
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Does the 521 have "ramped" zoom speeds or only the 521 PRO? Is the only difference between the two the ability to set a maximum zoom speed and the addition of the "Push Auto Focus" button (which doesn't work on the Canon A1)?
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I have not used the 521 but as you suggest, the PRO version adds push-auto focus and the ability to set the maximum zoom speed. But to clarify this latter function, there are two choices. First, you can select to have the zoom speed progressively increase up to the maximum you've chosen. Second you can select to zoom at a constant or "fixed" speed, regardless of how much you deflect the zoom lever. Switching between F (fixed) and P (progressive) is a simple press of the one button which toggles the setting back and forth. An LED shows which one you've selected. I find that feature very handy. Of course the primary reason I went for the PRO is for the push-auto focus, which works with the Sony Z1. Without that one feature, I probably would have gotten the "plain" 521 and saved a few bucks.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #30
Old Boot

I attended a show last year and had time with the Canon engineer and where we employed the 521Pro. The Push Focus didn't work. This is a real pity as it works well on my XM2s and would be THE reason to have it working on a SpiderBrace mounted A1.

Hmmm...
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers