DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DVRigPro- Tips & Tricks? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/101037-dvrigpro-tips-tricks.html)

Sean Kiely August 10th, 2007 10:19 AM

DVRigPro- Tips & Tricks?

I bought a DvRigPro from Danny a while back for my Panasonic HVX, and set it up with a Varizoom Zoom/Focus/Iris remote. Excellent sales service and it's amazing to use.

Thing is... I'm using it the way I presume it should be used, but I haven't been able to find any examples online showing the best or intended way to use it, like for example the multirig has on it's website, or the CB-105 on it's site. All I can find are a few photo's here and there, and that's about it.

For example - I'd like to be able to get some really smooth steadicam like shots. I can do it in a limited way, but I'd love to know if anyone has got it down to an art, and how they do it.

One trick I've had some success with is to fold the shoulder brace back in beneath the camera and just balance everything on the stabilizing arm.

Anyone got anything to add?

Thanks!

Danny Natovich August 11th, 2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Kiely (Post 726765)
I bought a DvRigPro from Danny a while back for my Panasonic HVX, and set it up with a Varizoom Zoom/Focus/Iris remote. Excellent sales service and it's amazing to use.

Thing is... I'm using it the way I presume it should be used, but I haven't been able to find any examples online showing the best or intended way to use it, like for example the multirig has on it's website, or the CB-105 on it's site. All I can find are a few photo's here and there, and that's about it.

For example - I'd like to be able to get some really smooth steadicam like shots. I can do it in a limited way, but I'd love to know if anyone has got it down to an art, and how they do it.

One trick I've had some success with is to fold the shoulder brace back in beneath the camera and just balance everything on the stabilizing arm.

Anyone got anything to add?

Thanks!

Well done sean, You actually modified your DvRigPro into a MultiRig Stabilizer Plus. The shoulder brace transferes lot of body sways to the camera. When supported by the support pod only, You are getting closer to steadicam shoots but you will never be able to get floating steadicam shoots without
a real steadicam arm. Work on your "Steadicam" walk, Use soft shoes and balance the camera to be a bit front heavy, it may help a little.

Dennis Kane August 15th, 2007 11:44 AM

I agree with Danny. I have had my DVrigpro for a while, and while I am very happy with it, it still is not a steadicam. But I have found if I use the DVrigpro with Apple's new Smoothcam filter in Studio 2, I can achieve some amazing results.
D Kane

Sean Kiely August 15th, 2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Kane (Post 729417)
if I use the DVrigpro with Apple's new Smoothcam filter in Studio 2, I can achieve some amazing results.
D Kane

That's very interesting Dennis. I had considered this approach in the past, but was concerned that the resolution of the footage would be affected, but reading through the lines of what you've just written it may not be such a big issue.

I have FCP Studio 1, so I'm not familiar with the Smoothcam filter. Is it easy to use, and would you consider it a viable alternative to actually buying a steadicam type device?

Dennis Kane August 15th, 2007 01:37 PM

Sean, it is definitely an interesting filter. Easy to use, but not perfect, it has limitations.I only film in HDV, and if the scene is very busy (lots of detail), the filter struggles, and the images can come out blurred. I think you can achieve the best result with a steadicam, but this is a big investment in time and money. For my needs, the DVRig and ocassional use of filters like smoothcam best suit my needs.
Regards

Sean Kiely August 15th, 2007 01:43 PM

Thanks Dennis, that's good info, much appreciated.

Richard Harvey August 31st, 2008 03:01 PM

DVRig Pro - Demonstration Video?

Does anyone know if there is a video demonstration available showing some footage captured on the DVRig Pro? Im considering using this for shooting weddings and sports.

Many Thanks,

Rich.