Merlin killer from Manfrotto? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Well I did also try it at IBC.

I tried the unit at IBC, and my impression is positive. Maybe it was because I had the product manager demonstrate it, and the sample I used was in pristine condition. Some of the other units at IBC has seen some abuse, due to eager visitors bending the units. It is somewhat of a IQ-test to fold and unfold it correctly

Anyway - this is a sort of swiss army knife design. Meaning that it can perform a lot of different tasks and do them well within limits. It is not a replacement for a dedicated stabilizer, nor a shoulder rig.

The thing is tiny, and will fit in a large pocket. It uses space age plastic in order to keep the center of gravity at the right place, and it is flexible so you can adjust it easily. It can only use cameras weighting less than 0.7 kilos.

All this means it you a an ultra lightweight shoot-and-run unit it is perfect. Going to hitchhike in Ådalen - perfect. Relaxed documentary with a small backpack - perfect

Substitute for a Merlin - absolutely not. It will not survive a pro environment. But is not ment to.

But I am hoping to get a unit soon, and will share my impressions here

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM   #17
Tourist

I find it hard to believe a machinist type can not design a floating Gimbel handle and balanced counter weights using simple off the shelf parts in the MSC. Why should I buy a rolex if I can tell perfect time with a Seiko, who's going to know?

The market is changing, I bought a XH A1 because I felt it was time. I'm just a photo hobbyist with a goal to market my invention on a blue collar budget and I'm not alone. Lots of people are finding HDV affordable and the aftermarket accessories should be no exception. If this is junk, lets make a better one.
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #18
Trustee

that+HV20 and you're shooting near 2k res. =P. that's awesome. i luv how pro/pro-sumer grade gear's prices are coming down rapidly =).
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #19
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson View Post
Sorry to rain on the parade, but I tried it out in depth at IBC last week, and it's a piece of junk.
It's a <$200 item aimed at the amateur market. Side-by-side with the $800 Merlin it's certainly going to come up short. It's the kind of thing I expect to see Dad using at the ice arena while his 3rd grader gamely skates out for his first pee-wee hockey game.
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #20
New Boot

Full review here;

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-32778990.html

Not very complimentary on the whole.
Neil Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Read all the bad and good and decided to get one. Have to be honest, and for what I need...it's fine. I am happy to trade off speed, comapctness for the higher quality of my Big rig. Did an axample video here:-

Manfrotto Modo Steady By Alastair Brown
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports