My new DIY Shoulder Mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My new DIY Shoulder Mount

Hello folks,

A couple of years ago, I made a should mount that was made of metal pipe. It worked okay but it was a tad heavy. So on the insistence of my co worker, I decided to take the plunge and build a new one out of aluminum.

The whole thing cost about $90.00 US. Here's what I used and where I got them.

1 piece @ $16.34/piece
Aluminum 6061-T6 Bare
Drawn Tube
0.625" x 0.125" x 0.375"
Cut to: 24"

1 piece @ $20.99/piece
Aluminum 6061-T6
Seamless Tube
0.875" x 0.125" x 0.625"
Cut to: 36"

total with shipping about $41.00

(6) Aluminum split shaft collars from Mcmasters & Carr = $32.00

4' of 3/8" Aluminum rod from Orchard supply hardware = $7.00

3 qtsf of foam padding from OSH = $3.50

1 can of Duplicolor MetalCast Blue "Anodized" spray paint = $7.00

1 can of Black Plasticoat from OSH = $7.00

(4) Aluminum electrical lugs to use as mounting brackets = free from work.

I was able to save money from by getting the aluminum sheets from work and cutting them down to size there. I also had my friend weld the pieces together at work. If I were to do it again, I would get a drill press and drill/tap the pieces together instead of welding them.

So after three weeks of using company time to put it together here's what I came up with. It took a lot of polishing to get the shine.

I just finished it last night, so I haven't had a chance to field test it yet. Let me know what you guys think.

James

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...unt/smfront.jp
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...upper-back.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ercarriage.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ount-mount.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...lower-back.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ount-front.jpg
James Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Major Player

nice job - I think you copied the Birns and Sawyer image2000 unit?

What camera are you using it with?
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Peter, Yeah the Image 2000 was my inspiration for it. I just couldn't justify the cost of a new one. We plan on using a DVX100b and an XL2 with it.
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Major Player

I use an image2000 with an XLH1 - works great. I dont have any use for the handles though. I'm thinking of making another one with just the shoulder rest and a fixed position tongue sticking out the front custom fit to the XLH1 and a quickrelease.

thanks for the hardware links - I'm always imagining things I want to build....
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Very nice. I am also planning on making one. My idea is inspired by the Birns and Sawyer model, too. My version will probably be put together with drilling and tapping because I just learned how to (after breaking two taps!) and because I don't have any welding equipment. I like your tubular design for the hand grips, so I'll probably change my design to that. Love the blue anodized look, I couldn't even tell it was spray paint!

P.S.: My design is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
My new DIY Shoulder Mount-shoulder-support.jpg  
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok here goes version 2. I bought myself a Craftsman powder coating gun and re-finished it. I also had to trim some off the shoulder piece to make it fit in the toaster oven. I also but a bend in the handles so that they flare out a bit. My friend is field testing it today on a shoot so I'm sure V 2.1a is right around the corner. Oh and the nut in the top is just keeping the mounting screw there so I don't loose it.

Let me know what you guys think.

James
Attached Thumbnails
My new DIY Shoulder Mount-black-cam-support.jpg   My new DIY Shoulder Mount-black-cam-support-2.jpg  

Old October 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Looks good from this distance. If you're married, I'm sure your wife appreciated you using the toaster oven, and not the big one in the kitchen.

Martin
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

finance, doesn't know about the powder coat gun and I made sure to buy my own toaster oven. The thought did cross my mind to use the house one, but I really don't want to tempt fate. Plus I'd have to bake like five cakes just to cover the smell.

James
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Major Player

So, I have to ask: how much was the powder coat gun? It sounds like something I should own.

Martin
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I got it at a flea market for $60.00. It came with a half bag of satin black and a bag of red.

I was about to get one off of Ebay, but was out bid. I've seen them go for about 90.00 there. The toaster oven I got for 25.00 after my 20% off coupon from Beds, Bath and Beyond.
James Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports