DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   The Pain. . .the pain (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/10849-pain-pain.html)

Josh Bass June 14th, 2003 10:23 AM

The Pain. . .the pain

When shooting handheld with my XL1s, that is, shoulder mounted, with manual lens, BP945 battery, and sometimes a light, I start to feel a lot of pain in my back and shoulders fairly quickly. I've got several different shoulder mount setups I've tried, but nothing completely eliminates it. Part of it, I'm sure, is because I'm so damn short that I usually have to shoot upward.

What do you guys do? Do you just have to accept the Pain and deal with it? Is it part of the job? Have any of you transcended the Pain? I know there's other short guys out there, some probably using Betacams and such. What do they do?

Bryan Beasleigh June 14th, 2003 11:15 AM

Josh
I have the same problem but I'm tall and just old I guess. I have very bad arthritis , a mal formed right arm (too many breaks), a screwed up right knee and a degenerated lower spine. So far the lack of hair and the beer belly haven't become an issue.

The shoulder mounts that I've tried haven't done much. I have a Marzpak on order and I'll let you know how it works. It makes more sense than all of the shoulder braces, at least in my case. The dork factor is high , but then, that's life.

OyVey the pain!

Zac Stein June 14th, 2003 11:46 AM

Ichvies (i know)

What can you do, i found the best solution to get someone else to shlep the thing and tell them what to do then take 90% of the money for being the manager/director/leader of the group.
Worked wonders for my very bad neck.

Zac

Josh Bass June 14th, 2003 12:07 PM

Sorry, dudes, no Marzpak. I've spent enough. Zac, I'm usually alone as the shooter when the Pain becomes an issue.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 14th, 2003 12:26 PM

Two words

Yoga.

Frank Granovski June 14th, 2003 01:46 PM

I'm in a similar condition as Bryan - "OyVey the pain!"

However, I work out doing TaiChi and BaGwa. http://www.8palm.com - This keeps me together. :)

Bryan Beasleigh June 14th, 2003 01:57 PM

Robert
Yoga is only one word.

Comfort and a natural stance is still an issue that must be addressed. I looked at all of the possibilities in detail. Unless the center of gravity can be moved back over the shoulder it will be awkward, transferring the weight to the hips is better yet.

The biggest problem is lack of enough serious reviews. Many will buy a product just because it looks cool. Many will offer no negative comments simply because they don't want to admit making a mistake.

Josh
I didn't tell you to run out and buy a marzpak, I said I would let you know if it did the job. I was trying to help you with your pain issue.

When i get this rig up and running I intend on reporting back to the group so that people may benifit from my experience (pro or con). It's really hard buying equipment without the chance to try it first.

Nigel Moore June 14th, 2003 02:56 PM

Bryan

Some of us would be genuinely interested in your experience with the Marzpak.

Cheers

Dean Sensui June 14th, 2003 05:03 PM

Josh...

There's an ancient Asian concept of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter :-)

I can't think of any exercises right off hand that would help, except to lift weights in a similar manner. It would help build up some of the muscles used to support the camera in that position.

A lot of the problem has to do with endurance, and that can only be improved by carrying a weight for extended periods of times -- learned that through cycling a few thousand miles per year! Don't have much time to do that lately.

I take rests as often as possible. Sometimes I'll make a fist and stick it under my right elbow or upper arm, allowing the camera's weight to be supported through the forearm, my fist and into my chest. Similar to the way a rifle shooter gets into the standing position. That way your skeletal structure supports the weight, not your muscles. It also allows the shoulder to be lifted slightly and takes the strain from your neck. Leaning slightly to the left will help put the camera more in the centerline of your hips and reduce the assymetric strain.

Another rest position is to cradle the camera across my midriff with both arms, and taking a slight lean backward.

If my hand is still on the hand grip, to cross my right arm over my chest, place the camera directly across me, and bring my left arm across the right arm to keep it all in place. Again that slight backward lean to bring the weight over my hips and take the strain off my lower back. I can get into a normal shooting position quickly by just uncrossing my left arm and moving the camera back onto my shoulder.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Robert J. Wolff June 20th, 2003 03:53 AM

???the pain

I used the PCP-60, which weighed in at 56 pounds, to cover football. (For the benifit of those over seas, the game runs about 3 hours).

I did this for years.

The only solution that I ever found was to just grin and bear it.

I blessed the lighter PCP-70, when it arrived on our shores.

My XL-1s, is a wonderful joy-toy on my shoulder.

I am 5 feet 8 inches in height. I think your problem doesn't exit in your height.

I'm no doc. But, it might be a pinched nerve.

Josh Bass June 20th, 2003 11:01 AM

Not just a case of bein' a wussy? What about a back brace? Anyone tried that?

Dean Sensui June 20th, 2003 01:06 PM

Robert...

56 pounds!

You're 5'8" but you used to be 6'2", right?

:-)

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Rick Spilman June 20th, 2003 01:35 PM

The main reason I didn't buy an XL1 many years ago - it has the ergonomics that only your chiropractor could love.

Josh Bass June 20th, 2003 03:21 PM

But at least it feels like there's something on your shoulder. The weight makes you feel like a man. And if, God forbid, I ever operate a "real" camera, at least I'll have half an idea of what to expect. OOOh. . .I hope it's an all metal 40 pound betacam.

Imran Zaidi June 20th, 2003 03:34 PM

One day lipstick cameras will be in HD. We can just tape em to our heads and go to town.