The Pain. . .the pain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old June 14th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

The Pain. . .the pain

When shooting handheld with my XL1s, that is, shoulder mounted, with manual lens, BP945 battery, and sometimes a light, I start to feel a lot of pain in my back and shoulders fairly quickly. I've got several different shoulder mount setups I've tried, but nothing completely eliminates it. Part of it, I'm sure, is because I'm so damn short that I usually have to shoot upward.

What do you guys do? Do you just have to accept the Pain and deal with it? Is it part of the job? Have any of you transcended the Pain? I know there's other short guys out there, some probably using Betacams and such. What do they do?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Josh
I have the same problem but I'm tall and just old I guess. I have very bad arthritis , a mal formed right arm (too many breaks), a screwed up right knee and a degenerated lower spine. So far the lack of hair and the beer belly haven't become an issue.

The shoulder mounts that I've tried haven't done much. I have a Marzpak on order and I'll let you know how it works. It makes more sense than all of the shoulder braces, at least in my case. The dork factor is high , but then, that's life.

OyVey the pain!
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Ichvies (i know)

What can you do, i found the best solution to get someone else to shlep the thing and tell them what to do then take 90% of the money for being the manager/director/leader of the group.
Worked wonders for my very bad neck.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

Sorry, dudes, no Marzpak. I've spent enough. Zac, I'm usually alone as the shooter when the Pain becomes an issue.
Old June 14th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

Two words

Yoga.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #6
Outer Circle

I'm in a similar condition as Bryan - "OyVey the pain!"

However, I work out doing TaiChi and BaGwa. http://www.8palm.com - This keeps me together. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Robert
Yoga is only one word.

Comfort and a natural stance is still an issue that must be addressed. I looked at all of the possibilities in detail. Unless the center of gravity can be moved back over the shoulder it will be awkward, transferring the weight to the hips is better yet.

The biggest problem is lack of enough serious reviews. Many will buy a product just because it looks cool. Many will offer no negative comments simply because they don't want to admit making a mistake.

Josh
I didn't tell you to run out and buy a marzpak, I said I would let you know if it did the job. I was trying to help you with your pain issue.

When i get this rig up and running I intend on reporting back to the group so that people may benifit from my experience (pro or con). It's really hard buying equipment without the chance to try it first.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Bryan

Some of us would be genuinely interested in your experience with the Marzpak.

Cheers
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Josh...

There's an ancient Asian concept of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter :-)

I can't think of any exercises right off hand that would help, except to lift weights in a similar manner. It would help build up some of the muscles used to support the camera in that position.

A lot of the problem has to do with endurance, and that can only be improved by carrying a weight for extended periods of times -- learned that through cycling a few thousand miles per year! Don't have much time to do that lately.

I take rests as often as possible. Sometimes I'll make a fist and stick it under my right elbow or upper arm, allowing the camera's weight to be supported through the forearm, my fist and into my chest. Similar to the way a rifle shooter gets into the standing position. That way your skeletal structure supports the weight, not your muscles. It also allows the shoulder to be lifted slightly and takes the strain from your neck. Leaning slightly to the left will help put the camera more in the centerline of your hips and reduce the assymetric strain.

Another rest position is to cradle the camera across my midriff with both arms, and taking a slight lean backward.

If my hand is still on the hand grip, to cross my right arm over my chest, place the camera directly across me, and bring my left arm across the right arm to keep it all in place. Again that slight backward lean to bring the weight over my hips and take the strain off my lower back. I can get into a normal shooting position quickly by just uncrossing my left arm and moving the camera back onto my shoulder.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #10
Major Player

???the pain

I used the PCP-60, which weighed in at 56 pounds, to cover football. (For the benifit of those over seas, the game runs about 3 hours).

I did this for years.

The only solution that I ever found was to just grin and bear it.

I blessed the lighter PCP-70, when it arrived on our shores.

My XL-1s, is a wonderful joy-toy on my shoulder.

I am 5 feet 8 inches in height. I think your problem doesn't exit in your height.

I'm no doc. But, it might be a pinched nerve.
Old June 20th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Slash Rules!

Not just a case of bein' a wussy? What about a back brace? Anyone tried that?
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Robert...

56 pounds!

You're 5'8" but you used to be 6'2", right?

:-)

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #13
Major Player

The main reason I didn't buy an XL1 many years ago - it has the ergonomics that only your chiropractor could love.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #14
Slash Rules!

But at least it feels like there's something on your shoulder. The weight makes you feel like a man. And if, God forbid, I ever operate a "real" camera, at least I'll have half an idea of what to expect. OOOh. . .I hope it's an all metal 40 pound betacam.
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #15
Trustee

One day lipstick cameras will be in HD. We can just tape em to our heads and go to town.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports