DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Shoulder Mount EX Next? 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/113581-shoulder-mount-ex-next-2-a.html)

Shaun R Walker May 19th, 2008 03:35 AM

Shoulder Mount EX Next? 2

Living on the other side of the planet means that to buy a shoulder mount for my EX-1 from B&H Photo, or any of the other suppliers mentioned in these forums would cost me an arm and a leg, and that doesn't include the shipping charges. So I made my own. All up, including all materials and cost of bending shoulder bracket and powder coating, the mount only cost me $100 (and the aluminum was free - found in the engineering shop bin).

Graeme Fullick May 19th, 2008 04:24 AM

Great work Shaun. I am just up the road in Newcastle. I have the cheap Indian shoulder mount, but yours looks better.

Piotr Wozniacki May 19th, 2008 04:41 AM

Excellent, Shaun.

This is an example of what I meant in another thread, writing about shouldermounts / shooting styles that allow using the EVF instead of the LCD, which - in very bright sunlight coming from behind - can be completely useless due to reflections.

I'm using my PAG Orbitor and/or "El Cheapo" shouldermounts in exactly the same fashion (the latter with Manfrotto QR adapter mounted directly on the main pedestal, with the support removed). The extra bonus being that the camera CoG is closer to your body, thus feeling even lighter.

If only the EVF was of the Xtrafine resolution, as found on the Z7!

PS. Serena and Mike, do you know what I mean now?

Shaun R Walker May 19th, 2008 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick (Post 879819)
Great work Shaun. I am just up the road in Newcastle. I have the cheap Indian shoulder mount, but yours looks better.

Thanks Graeme. We should meet.I am looking for other EX-1 operators for a project I am working on on the Coast

Serena Steuart May 19th, 2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 879824)
Serena and Mike, do you know what I mean now?

Piotr, Of course I know what you mean. Shoulder mounts have been around for a long time. I used them shooting 16mm back in the 70s. And since. There are many designs and I doubt that you can imagine a shooting position I haven't used. Unfortunately you don't understand what we've been telling you, which is possibly a Polish/English translation problem. The LCD with hood and eypiece can be used on a shoulder mount, whether the sun is behind you or where-ever. But you are stubborn. You will note in Shaun's photo that he is looking at the LCD.

Bob Grant May 19th, 2008 07:36 AM

Wearing a large sombrero might fix the problem.

Shaun R Walker May 19th, 2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 879847)
The LCD with hood and eypiece can be used on a shoulder mount, whether the sun is behind you or where-ever. But you are stubborn. You will note in Shaun's photo that he is looking at the LCD.

You are right Serena. I have a Petrol hood on the LCD. I thought about making the mount so that I could also use the EVF, but it's such a bad monitor I never use it. Piotr, I have found that if I have sunlight hitting the LCD whilst on the sticks I position my body to shield the viewfinder (or contort my body in such a way that I can tilt the viewfinder downwards and still see it)

Mike Stevens May 19th, 2008 09:51 AM

Great work! Just pad that shoulder!

Sebastien Thomas May 22nd, 2008 02:52 AM

Could you please send more pictures. I will definitely try to do the same thing !

Paul Mailath May 22nd, 2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker (Post 879827)
Thanks Graeme. We should meet.I am looking for other EX-1 operators for a project I am working on on the Coast

Hi Shaun,

Pete McMurray has an EX-1, I'll let him know your on the lookout.

Welcome to DVInfo - small world

Shaun R Walker May 22nd, 2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 881471)
Hi Shaun,

Pete McMurray has an EX-1, I'll let him know your on the lookout.

Welcome to DVInfo - small world

Thanks Paul. Already got him in mind.

Shaun R Walker May 22nd, 2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas (Post 881460)
Could you please send more pictures. I will definitely try to do the same thing !

Will do Sebastie. Just waiting for the next few days work to finish then I will post some more photos with more details of the build

Simon Denny May 22nd, 2008 05:14 AM

Hey Shaun,
I have been looking at building the same thing for the Z1.
How does it handle? can you use the eye piece? What about getting on to a tripod in a hurry?
Look forward to more photos.
Cheers
Simon

Piotr Wozniacki May 22nd, 2008 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 881494)
How does it handle? can you use the eye piece? What about getting on to a tripod in a hurry?

The problem with using the eye piece on shoulder mounts without any front support is that - since the camera needs to be offset to the left so that the typical, handycam-style EVF can be put against your right eye socket - the created moment of gravity will make it unstable, and put an even greater burden on your right (supporting) arm.

Therefore, when I plan to use the eyepiece, I am using either the PAG Orbitor, or my (modified) "El Cheapo" shoulder support. Both have front support against your waist belt or abdomen. See here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=17

The other question is easier - it's enough to mount a QR plate adapter on the shoulder mount, using the same plate as your tripod.

Peter Donaldson May 22nd, 2008 01:27 PM

Hi Shaun
I might be available depending upon the project and timing, although I'm in Bowral
Send an Email
Cheers