DVRig Pro vs. DV MultiRig Pro vs. others... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old March 8th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVRig Pro vs. DV MultiRig Pro vs. others...

Does anyone know of existence of a comparison of dvtec's DVRig Pro and DV MultiRig Pro (and if so, where?)
I've had no opportunity to try any camera support system but my $$ situation dictates that I "buy the right thing first time". I probably have too many questions for anyone to help me one question at a time, so a "Pros and Cons" of each rig would likely help me greatly.

Originally interested in PAG Orbitor, but read a couple of posts that implied shortcomings that the DVRig Pro doesn't have. I'd also been looking at Varizoom's DV Media Rig Pro.
Then I discovered the MultiRig...
Although satisfaction can be very subjective, I've yet to find a negative post about the DVRig and DV MultiRig.

My requirements:
1) *MUST* accept (or be modifiable to accept) Manfrotto's 501PL plate (I have three tripods and a monopod that all accept this plate, so changing to a different plate is out of question)
2) Currently using VX2000s, will have to upgrade in early 2009(possibly to Sony EX1s).
3) Mobile shooting needed at dance, cheerleading, figureskating, graduation, equestrian etc. (practice areas, lobbies etc). Also for many aspects of weddings, and any number of situations for promos etc. (I was shooting video at a reindeer ranch last week in a foot of snow - in a school gym the previous day, etc)

All advice/opinions much welcomed!
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

OK well, I have the Varizoom ENGRigPro for my full size cameras and it's made by DVTec which is Dannys company and makes the DVRigs so that says a lot.
As for the DVMultiRig, I use it with my PD170 or 150 and here's how it's equipped.
First I have a bracket that holds my wireless receiver so it's on the camera all the time, then I have a shotgun type mic (usually a hypercaroid not a true shotgun) a WA lens attachment and a Litepanel Micro although before I got that I was using an AB Ulralight running off a battery belt. I also have a Varizoom LANC controller on the DVMultiRig. The camera locks on the rig by way of the Bogen QR577 mount which is 100% compatible with either the 501 or 503 heads and plates.
I can go from the rig to tripod or monopod in seconds.
I use the rig for weddings (mostly receptions but I have done a couple of short ceremonies with it) - I've done corporate seminars-not the seminar of course but the lobby area as people are mulling around, getting comments from the attendees or interviewing the presenters on the fly.
With some practice you can get steadicam like walking footage. NOTE: I said steadicam LIKE. This is not meant to replace a steadicam device and certainly will not work for running type shots and might not work for some people with walking or stair shots but it has me. It takes practice and technique.
Having said that there are times I wish I had a steadicam device and times I wish I had been on a tripod but that's ME picking the wrong tool for the job.
Anyhow, IMO the DVMultiRig is excellent quality, works extremely well if used properly and is a great value for the price.
It should be no problem to do what you want with the rig and should carry the loaded out EX1 without bending or breaking ;-)
I don't leave home without it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Don... anyone else?

This is all good info, and re-confirms that practice with whichever rig a person chooses is at least as important as making the "right" equipment choice in the first place.
I'm *really* tempted by the multirig.
Is there anyone out there that would advocate the DVRig Pro over the DVRig Pro for the kind of work I alluded to in my initial post?
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Trustee

Reg I used to use the DVRig Pro and now use and swear by the DVMulti Rig.

I shoot event video also, dances, weddings, sporting events and such.
And while the DVRig Pro is great the DVMulti Rig will be better suited in so many ways for what you want to do.

If you are using a large setup with a rail system and Letus lens on your camera let's say, then the DVRig Pro is better suited for you. As it's a large laod support which works great.

But if you are like me who shoots with a Sony FX1 (also PD170 sometimes), then the DVMulti Rig will be a better fit.
I load my rig up with shotgun mic, wireless reciever, large Sony HVL-LBP LED light and a Varizoom LANC remote on the left grip (it's the only grip that really never changes configuration except up or down).

I also attach the shoulder assembly and just swap configurations when needed (shoulder mode, Fig Rig (handles up), Hand held (handles down) low mode etc.). I use the 2 section pod support all of the time to get even steadier shots, as well as for comfortable shooting all day long, with no fatigue.

I no longer use and sold my monopod, and rarely use a tripod anymore except for extra long periods of time for static shooting like a wedding ceremony after the bride is handed off. I normally shoot up the isle down low for a processional and when the bride is handed off I simply place my entire rig on my per set tripod for lock down shooting. When they depart I unlock from my tripod and I'm off.

BTW I use Bogen 501 myself and simply have the QR plate attached to what would be the right grip (this folds under the center of the camera to mount to your tripod).

Go with the DVMulit Rig, you won't be sorry.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the DVMulti Rig. It folds up to a compact package, but that comes at the cost of rigidity. If your microphones aren't shockmounted well, the creakiness of the portable structure will transmit through the structure, though this isn't any different than using a monopod on a grippy floor.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I have the DVMulti Rig. It folds up to a compact package, but that comes at the cost of rigidity. If your microphones aren't shock mounted well, the creakiness of the portable structure will transmit through the structure, though this isn't any different than using a monopod on a grippy floor.
While this is true there are ways around this.
Although I have an FX1, I have modified both my cameras to take the Z1 mic mount.
Then I use a J-Rod twin mount (http://thej-rod.com/) and have my wireless and mic mounted on the Z1 mic mount (on my FX1). I now have the FX1 cold shoe open for my Sony HVL-LBP light. Or if I choose I can mount it on the handle (which I prefer) by using a Delvcam DELV1081 Handle Bracket (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...acket_for.html)

Now I have no need to mount the mic on any of the grips, this avoiding noise). And as such have the ability to configure the rig in any manner I like.

I know that you have the ability to mount accessories on the grips, but you wind up defeating the purpose (and beauty) of the multi configurations of the DVMulti Rig.
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

photos, please!

Michael,
Why don't you post those photos of you holding your rig?

chris/bethesda MD
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Li View Post
Michael,
Why don't you post those photos of you holding your rig?

chris/bethesda MD
I would except for the fact that they are older pics, and don't show my current more streamlined setup.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Or if I choose I can mount it on the handle (which I prefer) by using a Delvcam DELV1081 Handle Bracket (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...acket_for.html)

I know that you have the ability to mount accessories on the grips, but you wind up defeating the purpose (and beauty) of the multi configurations of the DVMulti Rig.
Good solution. I should try this (pricey) bracket instead of mounting on the DV Multirig. I think the DV Multirig generates some vibrations, some of which are very audible, when the foam sleeves on the handles slip. I will replace them with tape, but then I expect the handling noise may be worse. In any case, the vibrations from the Multirig aren't worse than pure handholding vibrations. The Sennheiser mic shockmount helps with most of the noise, but I'm using a wide pattern stereo microphone (AT825).

Another source of vibration is the microphone XLR cord itself when the Mic cable bounces/rubs against the camera. It's worse with the XLR than a thinner cable such as that from an XLR->1/8" TRS that I use on my FX1. So, I ordered two custom cables from Trew Audio that include the shielding mesh but not the rubber. I suppose you can just cut off the rubber on some cords, but who knows if the shielding will be exposed.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

on my rig I don't maount anything on the handles except an LANC control.
I've mounted my wireless receiver to the supplied mount on the rear of the rig and found it to be useful as a balance weight. The only thing is you need a longer cable from the receiver to the camera. I keep my light on the camera and use a SOny CAC12 mic mount and have never noticed any noise from the camera or cable. I do use a velcro cable tie to secure the XLR to the DVrig so it's not flying around and when I use my AB light with the battery belt I did the same for the cable from the light to the battery. No noise! Now with the Litepanel there is no wire so one less thing to worry about.
I never did like mounting anything to the handles although I did try it once and got away from that pretty quick.
I try to keep things simple but that's just me.
I'll see if I can get a photo posted sometime over the weekend.

Don
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks everybody

Thanks each for your input.
Michael - sounds like your set-up is similar to me, equipment-wise. PD170 (=VX2100 with a few bells and whistles) - Sony LED light - Varizoom (VZ-Rock) LANC control - etc.
I usually mount my mic on the camera (Sennheiser ME66 in a shockmount - can't remember brand) so hopefully creak won't be a problem.

And good point about limiting flexibility of multirig by mounting toys on it.

Mounting camera AND rig on camera - sounds very convenient, but I guess I'll have to get used to balancing. Practice...

Sounds like more business for Danny...

Thanks again everyone
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Gothard View Post
Thanks each for your input.
Michael - sounds like your set-up is similar to me, equipment-wise. PD170 (=VX2100 with a few bells and whistles) - Sony LED light - Varizoom (VZ-Rock) LANC control - etc.
I usually mount my mic on the camera (Sennheiser ME66 in a shockmount - can't remember brand) so hopefully creak won't be a problem.

And good point about limiting flexibility of multirig by mounting toys on it.

Mounting camera AND rig on camera - sounds very convenient, but I guess I'll have to get used to balancing. Practice...

Sounds like more business for Danny...

Thanks again everyone
Reg, just following up and seeing if you ordered a MultiRig. And if so how you are enjoying it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, as I have used it in probably every configuration possible.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Inner Circle

the thing I found is to always mount my wireless receiver on the back mounting plate of the DVMultirig. That throws enough weight on the back to help balance it.
I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things but when I use it on the shoulder I try to set it to keep my forearms parallel to the ground.
I actually set the rig so the camera and back arm are slightly off of straight and use the spring rod to level it off. I keep the bottom rod almost all the way extended and use the top arm for dampening. So far it's pretty comfy and works out well but I have noticed a tendacy to lean back instead of standing straight which of course makes my back hurt (or maybe it's just my age???)
Anyway it's a great tool-have fun with it!

Don
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM   #14
Trustee

Don, the only reason that I don't mount anything on the back shoulder support or anywhere on the rig is so i can shoot in all of the configurations, as I don't shoot in shoulder mode all of the time. Actually only shoot in shoulder mode 30% or so of the time, but find myself changing configs often.

I have actually found a way as I said to mount my wireless out of the way next to my shotgun mic and take up virtually no room. I have found that balancing in shoulder mode is easy if you tilt the arm inwards towards your chest, or ever wrap the arm around my neck.

Just goes to show you that there are so many ways to use the rig, and no setup is the right ne for everyone, as everyones is right.
Also goes to show you that nothing out there can touch it for overall build quality and versatility.

Props to Danny and DVTEC.
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #15
Go Cycle

Rode makes the SM3 which can attach to the accessory shoe of the DVRIG thus eliminating transfer noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I have the DVMulti Rig. It folds up to a compact package, but that comes at the cost of rigidity. If your microphones aren't shockmounted well, the creakiness of the portable structure will transmit through the structure, though this isn't any different than using a monopod on a grippy floor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports