MultiRig Pro Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #16
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney NSW Australia
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Plowman View Post
If you would plan your shot a little sooner you could plant the tree to lean on a few years in advance...
See, now THAT is real patience. Imagine the kudos you'd get for the 'making of' sequence at the end of your wildlife documentary. It would certainly make all of those people that hide for weeks on end in a blind in the jungle waiting the perfect shot look like mere amateurs ;)

"huh, call THAT waiting? I planted this tree when I was eight, knowing that one day I'd want to lean against it to film a..."
David Kirshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
uneven ground would be difficult even with a steadicam I would imagine.
ah, but therein lies the joy of Steadicam--the rig magically erases all signs of uneven ground and if you have a rig with its own monitor, you gain back much of the peripheral vision that is lost during handheld (especially a full-size shoulder mounted camera that, as you noted, blocks out anything to your right). This allows you to pick your steps carefully and the rig smooths out the difference.

But anyway--I have tested the DVrig Pro a couple of times and I am impressed with it. If I had to do a lot of handheld with a small format camera I would absolutely buy one. The limited amount of time that I have used it, I have found the "flying" mode actually quite nice--it softens the footsteps but again as noted, you do have to exercise the proper walk (which should be the case with anyone working with a handheld camera anyway) and learn how to minimize roll as well. I felt like I was getting very respectable results with it after 5 minutes of feeling it out.
__________________
Charles Papert
www.charlespapert.com
Charles Papert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #18
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
But anyway--I have tested the DVrig Pro a couple of times and I am impressed with it. If I had to do a lot of handheld with a small format camera I would absolutely buy one. The limited amount of time that I have used it, I have found the "flying" mode actually quite nice--it softens the footsteps but again as noted, you do have to exercise the proper walk (which should be the case with anyone working with a handheld camera anyway) and learn how to minimize roll as well. I felt like I was getting very respectable results with it after 5 minutes of feeling it out.
Just to claify something, so readers here don't get confused...

Keep in mind that there are several models available from DVTec.
The DVRig Pro is one of them which is a stationary shoulder type support with a 2 section support pod.

There's the NEW DVRig Pro HD (same as DVRig Pro but will enable you to run with a rail system).

Then of course there's the DVMulti Rig, which I was being discussing here.
This would be better suited for field nature use, as it much more compact and very customizable.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #19
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,781
Ah sorry, I must have read this too quickly. I thought you guys were talking about the DVRigPro. My bad. In any event, I like Danny's products, he's making good stuff.
__________________
Charles Papert
www.charlespapert.com
Charles Papert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Ah sorry, I must have read this too quickly. I thought you guys were talking about the DVRigPro. My bad. In any event, I like Danny's products, he's making good stuff.
No problem.
I started with the DVRig Pro and agree it was a rock solid unit.
I sold it after trying his DVMulti Rig. It just fit my run and gun (multiconfigurable) shooting style perfectly.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #21
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
BTW, I just wanted to let everyone know that I just received the NEW DVMulti Rig Pro (I have had and loved the original DVMulti Rig version), and I must say that this unit officially rocks.

I used to struggle sometimes with unscrewing the support pod to place my rig on a tripod, but no more. The addition of the Quick Release Support Pod makes swapping from DVMR to tripod a cinch now, and blazingly fast and painless.
And the addition of the new knob tightening points, makes switching configurations, simple, painless, and blazingly quick. For me, the old locking clip under the handles were difficult to press at and get to times.
I also was able to mount Bogen 577 QR assembly on it (ala DVRig Pro). So now I can mount and unmount my camera with ease if needed. I prefer not to leave the unit attached to my camera so this is most beneficial to me when setting up my rig. As I now can slide my camera in and lock and go. No more having to access a screwdriver to mount. For the most part the camera stays attached to the DVMulti Rig all day long, and mounted on a tripod as needed (which isn't often).
And speaking of tripod mounting, I'm looking forward to trying out the new tripod adapter for the rig in a month or so when its released.

For anyone who hasn't tried one out yet or are still contaminating a shoulder support for your camera, Stop, go to the www.dvtec.tv website and order one of these. It's by far one of the best investments you will make this year for shooting live run and gun video.

All I can say is BRAVO Danny, well done.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #22
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 145
Went to my camera store yesterday and got to play with the multirig...after flying around for 30 minutes in the store I now own one!
Thanks for all the reviews, I'll post some footage soon.
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #23
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Boyette View Post
Went to my camera store yesterday and got to play with the multirig...after flying around for 30 minutes in the store I now own one!
Thanks for all the reviews, I'll post some footage soon.
What camera store?
I didn't know that these were even in any local stores. Especially since they only have 2-3 U.S distributors, that drop ship their rig.

Anyway, congrats on the MultiRig. I think you're really gonna love it.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 145
My guy from Southeastern Camera in Raleigh, NC saw them at NAB and ordered 3 of them.
I got the last one!
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #25
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Last Problem

The last problem I have to report with the MultiRigPro, and unfortunately it is a very large problem, is that when folded up in tripod mode using a tripod quick release plate screwed onto the right arm, the panning & movement action on any tripod is.... horrible. There is so much give, wiggle, & slack in the whole system means that mounting the unit to a tripod is pretty much useless.

My unit didn't come with the tripod QR plate adapter, so may be that makes all the difference. But I don't expect a QR plate adapter to take up all the slack in the arm and the very top heavy nature of the unit when attached to a tripod.

My solution is to just not use the unit on a tripod. I'll just detach it from the beachtec & mount the QR plate.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #26
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
I have never used it on a tripod and frankly have no intention of doing so.
It would appear that it would throw too much weight to one side and thus be off balance plus the rig (IMO) isn't sturdy enough to counteract that. It's a great rig and I use it all the time at receptions and well pretty much other than the ceremony. I've done run and gun interviews at trade shows with it, some sports pretty much anything that a tripod wouldn't work out to use.

IMO every piece of gears has pros and cons, good points and not so good point. I set my rig up with the Bogen QR plate and since my cameras have the matching plate on it it's an easy switch from tripod to rig to monopod to tripod, back and forth. The more I use it the more I like it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #27
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
The last problem I have to report with the MultiRigPro, and unfortunately it is a very large problem, is that when folded up in tripod mode using a tripod quick release plate screwed onto the right arm, the panning & movement action on any tripod is.... horrible. There is so much give, wiggle, & slack in the whole system means that mounting the unit to a tripod is pretty much useless.

My unit didn't come with the tripod QR plate adapter, so may be that makes all the difference. But I don't expect a QR plate adapter to take up all the slack in the arm and the very top heavy nature of the unit when attached to a tripod.

My solution is to just not use the unit on a tripod. I'll just detach it from the beachtec & mount the QR plate.
Well Jason that's a big thing. As my original unit came with the tripod QR adapter (which mounted on the right grip and folded under). It works fine, but I ahd to tighten the screw real tight to the handle to keep the rig from tipping when it was mounted to a tripod.

The problem that I had with mounting it to a tripod wasn't the rig itself, but rather the old support pod that you had to screw and unscrew to mount to the rig to the tripod. The new QR support pod alleviates that for me and now I can switch extremely quickly when needed.

I am looking forward to trying out the new QR tripod adapter plate when it is released in about a month.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #28
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
IMO every piece of gears has pros and cons, good points and not so good point. I set my rig up with the Bogen QR plate and since my cameras have the matching plate on it it's an easy switch from tripod to rig to monopod to tripod, back and forth. The more I use it the more I like it.Don
So do you have a QR plate receiver on the top of the MultiRigPro so you can attack the camera's QR plate to the receiver? That would make sense so you could detach / reattach the camera from the MultiRig quickly.
(edit)
I would love to get a hold of the new quick release for the mono pod.... and get the tripod quick release adapter as well, because right now, just screwing the tripod QR plate into the screw hole on the right arm means that the spring loaded peg that is supposed to push into the camera (or in this case, the quick release adapter) just moves freely, dependent only on how tight I get the QR plate screwed in.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #29
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
So do you have a QR plate receiver on the top of the MultiRigPro so you can attack the camera's QR plate to the receiver? That would make sense so you could detach / reattach the camera from the MultiRig quickly.
That would be correct.
You mount the QR assembly to the DVMulti Rig (DVMR) and then can add/remove your camera at will for quick swappability.
The only thing that I have to careful of is that I have a Varizoom LANC remote attached to my left grip on the DVMR. I have to make sure that I unplug my LANC remote first before attempting to remove the camera. This is why I prefer mounting the entire rig to my tripod. I don't have to worry about breaking the LANC cable and also still have the ability to use my LANC remote while mounted to a tripod.

I don't worry about anything else, as everything (lights, shotgun mic, wireless) is attached to my camera and not mounted on the DVMR.
__________________
Michael
www.lvpvideo.com
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #30
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 145
This might just be a minor problem...but mine smells really bad, works great, smells really weird. Anybody else have a smelly multirig?
I'm sure it will die down over time.
Jason Boyette is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network