MultiRig Pro Review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Boyette View Post
This might just be a minor problem...but mine smells really bad, works great, smells really weird. Anybody else have a smelly multirig?
I'm sure it will die down over time.
Sorry, no. I ordered a MultiRig not the Smelly Rig. =)

Seriously though, talk to Danny about it, drop him a line.
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
It would appear that it would throw too much weight to one side and thus be off balance plus the rig (IMO) isn't sturdy enough to counteract that.
I was able to counter this by extending the rear arm out to the right to replace the missing weight from the right arm which was folded up under the unit.

But despite being balanced, it still was very wiggly when panning using the MultiRig rear arm. I ended up panning with the tripod arm and that was smoother.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I was able to counter this by extending the rear arm out to the right to replace the missing weight from the right arm which was folded up under the unit.

But despite being balanced, it still was very wiggly when panning using the MultiRig rear arm. I ended up panning with the tripod arm and that was smoother.

BTW, Jason, take a look at the post that I just did on the new MultiRig Tripod Adapter Bracket.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=125982
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #34
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Boyette View Post
This might just be a minor problem...but mine smells really bad, works great, smells really weird. Anybody else have a smelly multirig?
I'm sure it will die down over time.
What kind of smell?

May be you were in a hurry to do a shoot and didn't wash your hands after eating a grease hamburger...

If any of the foam grips smell, you can slide it off the grip tube and wash it with warm water and some detergent. If you use some nice soap it will smell great...
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Just ordered a DV MultiRigPro based on this review for use as my primary support while shooting a Rock Climbing centered documentary that goes into production next week; seems like it'll be the perfect choice with its flexibility. I have to compliment Danny on his great post-sales follow-up support and also thank him for accomodating my time frame in getting it out here in time for the first shoot.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Thigpen View Post
Just ordered a DV MultiRigPro based on this review for use as my primary support while shooting a Rock Climbing centered documentary that goes into production next week; seems like it'll be the perfect choice with its flexibility. I have to compliment Danny on his great post-sales follow-up support and also thank him for accomodating my time frame in getting it out here in time for the first shoot.
Ooo now a rockclimbign film will be a bit more complicated but the MultiRig should be a good support while you are suspended. In fact, you can use the arms as attachment points and fully suspend the rig so you could just lower it down over the climber and get some nearly impossible shots. That was be very slick. Just watch the lens. I would be paranoid about scratching my lens with a camera sticking that far out in front of me.

Where are you filming and do you need a second unit op with 10yrs experience on the sharp end of the rope? :-) Of course I only was able to do a 10.c (at my best, which was 10 years ago). If you have the funding (I work cheap!) to bring me down, then I'm alllllll ears! :-) My climbing has mostly been limited to City of Rocks here in Idaho, and a few unknown alpine routes way up in the Sawtooths.

I've since posted a lot of other comments about my MultiRig Pro (it has been a year after all). I've shot with it for 9 weddings, a few corporate events, and for a bunch of hobby projects. It is the most versatile piece of gear in my bag of tricks.
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Yeah, I figured because of the collapsability and versitility of configurations, it seemed like the best choice, plus we can rig it up all fun-like given the frame when I am actually on the ropes shooting. I'll be using (a couple) XH-A1s, which are surprisingly durable I've found and have a good 20x stock lens on them attached to the MultiRigPro for all of the time on the rock.

Shooting next weekend will be in West Virginia, but I'll be mainly centered around Raleigh, NC (South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia... Too many places to list, I'm going to have a lot of B-Roll) and Southern California (San Diego, Joshua Tree, etc) for it. This one is going to be self-funded, so no budget to transport anyone other than the primaries being featured when neccesary, but if you're ever really aching to shoot on the rocks, if you make it to a shoot site, I'll always make sure there's a tent, an extra set of climbing gear, and some hot meals for you! (I've adopted the Lloyd Kaufman approach to movie making and found it's done wonders for my wallet)
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Coming in a little late to the party here, but was interested to see if anyone was using the MultiRig or DVRigPro with the EX1? Keeping my eyes peeled for information on a decent way to stabilize the camera and a pure shoulder-mount open isn't looking like it would be the best thing... The DVTec solution might be a good contender. I'm working with a stock EX1 - no adapters, matte boxes or anything of the like quite yet, so rails aren't a concern...

Thoughts?
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mitchell View Post
Coming in a little late to the party here, but was interested to see if anyone was using the MultiRig or DVRigPro with the EX1? Keeping my eyes peeled for information on a decent way to stabilize the camera and a pure shoulder-mount open isn't looking like it would be the best thing... The DVTec solution might be a good contender. I'm working with a stock EX1 - no adapters, matte boxes or anything of the like quite yet, so rails aren't a concern...

Thoughts?
I have a hard time seeing how an EX1 would NOT fit on the MultiRigPro. The GL2 is 2.5lbs (1.1kg) and the EX1 is 5.3lbs (2.8kg). Yes that is twice as heavy, but I load my GL2 with two of the 6hr batteries (one for a light), my light, a Beachtek adapter, a big clunky LANC, a AT897 8" shotgun + cables, and finally an AT1820 UHF receiver.

Now all that stuff isn't directly on top of the camera mount, some is on the shoulder mount, the LANC is on the right handle, the light is on the left, the Beachtek is under the cam, and the shotgun is on top of the cam...... so the weight is spread out a bit. But I think the weight of just an EX1 shouldn't be too much for it.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #40
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mitchell View Post

Thoughts?
The MultiRigPro is OK for the EX-1. Some users asked for stronger springs to help carry the Sony WA lanse. We can add a stronger spring upon request, no extra charge.
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Multirig Camera Support

Hi Ryan: I have the multirig with the tripod adapter, it is great. You can get the rig off a tripod in about 10 seconds, with a little practice. Camera FX1, Lite Panels led light w small sony battery, shotgun & rocker type full featured Lanc controller. The rig allows me to move quickly at a reception & get a stable shot; even when zoomed all the way out 12X outdoor concert.

The only drawback is the bar that rests on your shoulder. I have a solution for that. In my opinion just about the best rig of its type out there.
Bill Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM   #42
Major Player

And the best support. I emailed Danny when I stripped out the threads in the back (shoulder) support bracket and he very quickly and VERY economically sent me a replacement that obviously was a later (and better engineered) version. Best support I have had with any company attached to video making!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports