shoulder support for EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old April 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 and which shoulder mount

I'm wondering how well the EX3 would work with a Zacuto (or other base/rod system like Redrock) using a shoulder pad so you could do hand held shots with a Letus and mattebox/wireless/battery/monitor mounts. As cool as the EX3 is, you still need to be able to have a place for all the other stuff. I'm also thinking that would help balance it out to be more like a full size camera.

My concern is that it would make the camera too high to use the viewfinder effectively. Any thoughts on this?
Jay Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Major Player

I still don't understand how Zacuto can justify their unbelivable prices on their shoulder mounts and accesories! Your looking at shelling out $3,000 for some thin pipes that don't even look that industrial with funky names for their pieces like Z grips, Z riser and what not.

I just don't see why their stuff is so expensive. I think the new redrock shoulder mount for $350 is a bit more suitable for me. If the EX-1 is your main camera then It is not cost effective to shell out almost half the camera price for a shoulder mount when you can get it for less that a grand from varizoom, redrock, vacasion, etc.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
I'm wondering how well the EX3 would work with a Zacuto (or other base/rod system like Redrock) using a shoulder pad so you could do hand held shots with a Letus and mattebox/wireless/battery/monitor mounts. As cool as the EX3 is, you still need to be able to have a place for all the other stuff. I'm also thinking that would help balance it out to be more like a full size camera.

My concern is that it would make the camera too high to use the viewfinder effectively. Any thoughts on this?
The Zacuto kit is very good, so good we bought two kits for our EX1s. We've got the full kit with the shoulder pad and V-Lock battery mount so we can easily power the camera and all the other bits as well as have a solid way to mount them. Yes, the weight of the battery balances the camera very nicely. Zacuto do have a number of ways of offsetting the camera in both axis so you can get the camera wherever you want it relative to your shoulder. These are extra parts and extra cost though.

Using the camera hand held with a Letus you're certainly going to need FF gear with a whip and a good focus puller I'd expect. The Zacuto system lets you mount a decent sized LCD screen down low, you might find you're needing that if you're trying to focus yourself.

Contrary to what some might say, 15mm rods are not thin pieces of pipe. They're not extruded, they're machined from high grade Al. The Al alloys used in extrusions are too soft for this purpose. Sure this kit isn't exactly cheap but it's designed to outlast many cameras and will work with whatever Sony releases at NAB 2028, based on how most cine grade gear has held up over the decades it'll probably still be good for 2058's cameras too. Compared to similar kit from the old school camera kit manufacturers Zacuto's kit is quite cheap.

I'd have to agree on one point though, Zacuto do make it hard to work out what each part is and what you need to build a rig the way you want. We spent considerable time with the local agent trying to decode the part numbers and descriptions before placing our order.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Another alternative to check out for a shoulder mount for the EX-1 is Varizoom. I have the Varizoom LSP and it is very adjustable and comfortable!
http://www.varizoom.com/products/supports/vzlsp.html

It doesn't look the greatest but it really does the job and is very strong. I've considered painting it black so it matches the camera better.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say EX-3 above! Old age is creeping up...

Last edited by Doug Okamoto; April 30th, 2008 at 07:28 PM.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I use the same Vari Zoom product. Had it for years when the PD 150 came out. Works just as well with the EX1.

While at NAB a few people came up to me and presented different products for Hand Holding the EX 1. Mostly independents who were working the floor. Some interesting designs. Hard to evaluate without actually using it.

But there was one product that caught me eye. DVRig/DVTEC. Danny Natovich, whom I believe was the man in charge demonstrated the rig, then let me have a go. As a Steadicam O/O, I was truly impressed. It did a lot for what it was.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Let me offer an enthusiastic second for the DVMultirig. Unquestionably the best device for small cameras.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Another support system that could meet your requirement is the PAG Orbiter. I have used one for some time and have found it to be both comfortable and stable, many have thought that I had been using a tripod when in fact I had used this device. Often I have used for several hours without a break and without discomfort.

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I second that, Geoff. In fact, I replaced the DVmulti with the PAG Orbitor, and have been very satisfied with it. With the PAG 100Wh battery at the back and fully panning/tilting head, it's very nice to use.

The only thing I am critical about is that the spring-loaded support rod is too long (or perhaps I am too short), so that when walking, its telescopic parts meet, producing loud bumps.

But it can even take my EX1 with Letus, and I'm able to carry it around for a considerable time without fatigue!
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Gotta throw out my support for the Cavision shoulder mount and rails. It does not come off of my EX1. I really like the molded hand grips and I added my own padding (inserts from an old camera bag) to the shoulder piece. The camera is still front heavy and does not ride like a Beta Cam, but it helps steady the shot especially for walking.

The price was definitely right and I couldn't be happier. Now for a matte box....
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments, but getting the thread back on track, I was asking about the EX3, not the EX1 in terms of alternative shoulder mount systems. With the new viewfinder, it's more like a traditional camera, which I prefer to the handhelds (I use both). Looking at the way these cameras mount on a rails system (not exclusively Zacuto), I'm wondering if the viewfinder would be too high for comfortable viewing (i.e. shooting all day).

The shoulder mounts for the EX1/HVX/Z1 etc has been discussed in detail in other places.
Jay Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Seems to me ...

It wouldn't be difficult to put together an extended support that goes on camera pad for the inner shoulder that clamps on your shoulder back. It could be an easy on/off clamp ... think of something similar to the cheap chinese shoulder mount!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM   #12
New Boot

Stasis Flex?

I wonder how the new Anton/Bauer Stasis Flex will work? Check out:

www.antonbauer.com/stasisflex.htm

This has an adjustable (flex) mount and may help to get the vf of th EX3 witin range of ones eye.

Anyone have any experience with this piece?
Simon Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Tripod plate compatibility

It's not a comment on shoulder mounts, but I discovered another thing on
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...r=sony_pmw-ex3
In the introvideo made by PhilipBloom on this page, I can see the EX3 fitted on to Sony VCT-U14 tripod attachment plate and using the Sony VCT-14 tripod adapter. I beleve this is good news for us with larger Sony cameras and compatibility. Sony product ref is:
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowP...tegory=Tripods
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM   #14
Major Player

I just ordered the Microshoulder mount by Redrock. It looks pretty sweet, and you can;t beat the price.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/microSho...unt/index.html
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #15
Trustee

the redrock's a great find. Looks like a cost effective solution for the EX1's tough to handheld issue. i wonder if it will work well with Brevis n Letus setup.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports