Do you know this shoulder mount CVP SM1 (Philip Bloom's mount)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Do you know this shoulder mount CVP SM1 (Philip Bloom's mount)?

Hi,does anybody have one of theese?
CVP Shoulder Mount on Vimeo
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Trustee

This shoulder mount seems to appear under a number of generic brands, including CVP (Creative video)

I got one free when I bought my Sony V1E, and I don't find it very comfortable to use, no matter how I adjust it. The shoulder part is fine, but the bit that rests on your chest/stomach seems VERY uncomfortable to me, it digs in quite a bit.

Maybe I'm just the wrong shape for it!
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Had a couple of similar units, several variations available on eBay, there's a new one that allows the shoulder/camera piece to move back and forth over the chest portion...

I found it to be somewhat effective, but still a strain on the lower back... my main weak point. Steady Stick worked better for me, DVRig would probably be even better. Still an effective solution for fairly cheap, worth a try if you don't suffer lower back problems.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

cheap solution ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Hi,does anybody have one of theese?
CVP Shoulder Mount on Vimeo
I bought one of these from ebay last year and it works beautifully on my DVX100 but I've ordered one of these for my EX3:
DM-Accessories - EX3-SHOULDER Shoulder Brace For EX3 Camcorders
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Major Player

I was given one and have to agree with Mike, it was really uncomfortable and it dug into the back of my shoulder so I went with the spider brace which I prefer.
John Estcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

this type of mount probably wouldn't be to painful with just an HV30 on it right??
please advise

I'm torn between this type, the Steadybrace mini, or just a regular old monopod for shooting live music, what do y'all think

Steadybrace Mini

Last edited by Brendan Donohue; February 19th, 2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: punctuation
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Trustee

I've tried it, with the CG a foot away from your body, after 5 min it's not "comfortable"
I replaced it with the Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 561B Fluid Video Monopod | 561B
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
Interesting... I've always hated monopods because I'm 6'3" and none of the ones I've ever seen went high enough to actually get it onto my shoulder. The Manfrotto extends to 6'5" according to the link. I think that'd be a great solution. Now if only it had fewer sections for faster setup...
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM   #9
New Boot

I often use the CVP shoulder mount with my XHA1. But I remove the extended bit on top so that the camera is closer to the body. I find it pretty comfortable. Although it does seem to accentuate my belly and moobs
Rashdan Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashdan Radha View Post
I often use the CVP shoulder mount with my XHA1. But I remove the extended bit on top so that the camera is closer to the body. I find it pretty comfortable. Although it does seem to accentuate my belly and moobs
I've used mine with a small camera ... DVX100 and find it comfortable close to the shoulder. It's cheap ... cost me $40 or so on ebay. I wouldn't use it with the EX3 or anything bigger though. Hope those "moobs" get some attention!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashdan Radha View Post
Although it does seem to accentuate my belly and moobs
You're obviously filming them from the wrong angle :-)

One very valid comment I heard about these types of supports is that you have to watch your breathing - the movement of your chest directly effects the camera.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Major Player

learn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
You're obviously filming them from the wrong angle :-)

One very valid comment I heard about these types of supports is that you have to watch your breathing - the movement of your chest directly effects the camera.
You've got to learn to belly breathe so that the chest does not rise and fall. You are top lung breathing and that causes the expansion of the chest. I'm not saying the chest will not move but light belly breathing causes less movement up on top.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Trustee

I got one,
No good for serious work, the slightest small breath and the thing moves with your chest.

The only way is a shoulder mount camera that I have found.
Hand held is what it is.

Cool
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #14
New Boot

Steadybrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
I got one,
No good for serious work, the slightest small breath and the thing moves with your chest.

The only way is a shoulder mount camera that I have found.
Hand held is what it is.

Cool
I have a Steadybrace Mini and a Steadybrace XR. Both of them are great products. The XR has frontal support that rests on your chest. I LOVE this feature. However, as you stated above breathing heavily could cause some movement of the camera. You're also right that handheld is what it is. I can tell you though, that after using the XR, I would never shoot handheld without one in my arsonal... After two or three hours of shooting my arms used to be so tired I couldn't hold my hands up to eat my Wendy's burger. ;-) The XR solved that problem, and that alone is worth any minor side effects.
Curtis Glover is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports