who's using the redrock microshoulder mount... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Damo View Post
Knowing what you know now Jack, from experience would you opt for a shoulder mount or EyeSpy rather than get a Stubling if you hadn't already bought it?
Tricky. It does depend what you're planning to shoot. The Stubling is great for quick bits of filming, plus it packs away really small.

If you want a package that will suite many different filming situations then I'd recommend something like this:

1) Buy the Stubling. Most of the cost of the Stubling is the Red Rock FF which is a lovely bit of kit. The Stubling is great for run-and-gun and those short little rails are great for mounting the dSLR + follow focus on a tripod (but you need to get a tripod adapter).

2) Also get some 45cm long 15mm rails and some sort of counterweight to build a shoulder-mounted system (you can re-use the Follow Focus and handles from the Stubling). With the GH1 you can use the flip-out screen without having to add a third off-set rail like the Eye Spy rigs.

But I suppose my main bit of advice is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! Or, if you can't do that, then buy from a supplier who will let you return the kit if you don't like it.

Hope this is of some help.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Jack. I wish I had more time to try a variety of options. As it is I need to get cracking so I shelled out for the EyeSpyDeluxe. I just wanted something a little more stable than what the Stubling seemed to be. At least it will get me out of trouble. Appreciate the report from you though.

Peter.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kelly View Post

1) Buy the Stubling. Most of the cost of the Stubling is the Red Rock FF which is a lovely bit of kit. The Stubling is great for run-and-gun and those short little rails are great for mounting the dSLR + follow focus on a tripod (but you need to get a tripod adapter).
Jack.... what kind of tripod adapter are you suggesting...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Jack.... what kind of tripod adapter are you suggesting...
Oh... right now I'm using the tripod adapter plate thingy from my Cinevate Brevis rails system. But I'm selling my Brevis so I'll have to get a new tripod adapter! Not sure which tripod adapter I'm going to get though. I think Red Rock sell some sort of tripod adapter. I may buy the RedRock should support (literally just the should support bit) which I think has an integrated tripod adapter.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #20
Major Player

Sorry, one small correction... I said above that I used 45cm rails to build a DIY shoulder rig. I was wrong! My rails were 60cm! I think 45cm rails would be too short to build a shoulder rig (I haven't tried though). (I've sold my rails but I'll probably buy some more soon)
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #21
Major Player

A couple more quick updates...

I've just bought a 15mm-bars-to-tripod adapter from Shoot35.co.uk (who are based in the UK). An excellent price and excellent service.

Also, I've bought some solid 15mm aluminium bars from eBay (search for "15mm bars" and "15mm rods" and "15mm tube"). £7 for 1 meter! I know they'll be quite heavy but I want weight to stabilise my GH1. And I'm planning to buy the shoulder mount from Red Rock and maybe their counter weight.
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #22
Regular Crew

RR EyeSpy Deluxe Bundle

Thought I may as well give some review of the abovementioned kit. On the whole have a fairly positive experience. I had to wait quite a while for delivery over the time quoted (just over 5 weeks). Stability is good. Ease of handling is good. Follow focus works well. I've been using the Hoodman with marginal satisfaction. Its attached with the RedRock mount which doesn't always sit flush with the LCD nor square on it. I think 'm going to need to spend another wad on a better arrangement – I don't want to use the Z word. One of the main difficulties for me using this setup is that I'm 6'3" and the view is always down unless I happen to be filming tall people or constantly bending at the knees. This is my main annoyance. Otherwise its OK.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports