Check this camera support ! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
I looked at the multiRig and I'm intrigued by the "steady-cam" mode by using the flexpole that attaches to the holster. WIll that give me a pseudo "steady cam" look if I walk gingerly? If so this could be a good solution for me as there is no way I can operate a steadycam when I'm the sole shooter
You will not be able to get anything even close to Glidecam / Merlin footage with the MultiRig.... but it isn't designed to do that. It was designed to hold your cam, lots of accessories (including a LANC controller, wireless receiver, light, mic, etc), and to let you do that fro ma completely mobile platform.

You can get somewhat stable moving shots, but because of the spring pod, you will still translate body movements into the camera.

Check out my wedding day highlight clip. There are obvious glidecam4000 shots. The ending shot is MultiRig (because I needed the light) and is not nearly as smooth as the Glidecam. But it works well enough. You can learn to compensate and make it work "well enough" give the major advantage that you don't have to rebalance to include a light.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
wow. I'm too much of a fiddler and a fidget to be able to do that. I can't even stand still NOT holding anything, let along holding stuff!
The ONLY reason I was doing that last year is because I had a couple of receptions earlier in my career where I was taken by surprise when they asked if any guests wanted to give toasts. The most difficult of these was governor Kempthorne's daughter's wedding. There were something like 800-1000 guests and they were spread out all over the Simplot estate .. and I was having to run here and there to catch people giving toasts (they had RMAV there with multiple wireless mics and handlers). If I had been on a tripod I would have been screwed.

From now on, though, I'm going to confirm that all toasters will be in the same location. 5-10 minutes handheld I don't mind so much, but going beyond 20 minutes is really brutal on the body.
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I don't own a multirig, although I might one of these days when budget permits. BUT I've cobbled up similar rigs from available stuff picked up online on the cheap... and the concept is the best for wedding/event work where you may need to move a lot and shoot a lot of different angles.

I'm with Jason in the "WOW, I wobble THAT much?" category... standing "still" is a very relative thing, and actually moving sometimes results in a smoother shot! I like tripods...

BUT, tripod shots are boring and aren't terribly practical for many situations. I have several stable, TALL tripods to strategically place several small cameras where I want to get an angle, but I want the main camera to be moving with me to get the best angle if possible.

My take on handheld is that it's hard if not nearly impossible with an HD camera because of the higher resolution. ANY motion translates into a blurred or distorted shot. SO, pure "handheld" is for family stuff at the most...

Steadicam, Glidecam, etc. are potentially OK with a vest, but too tiring for longer shots - great for what they do, but physically demanding, so less than ideal for practical "full day" coverage. Oh yeah, and expensive plus operating/balancing is another art unto itself.

Pure shoulder mounts are a big help, BUT again hard on the back, and may not address the "tilt" which to me is the most distracting "wobble"... so now you have to add handles, or something similar to the fig rig concept to spread the control of the "roll" axis. Now the rig is starting to get HEAVY, and fatigue is a factor, so a waist belt/support rod comes to the rescue - and there's the multirig (or the rigs I've mashed together...)!

Yang, what you need to do with any shoulder/handle/waist support rig is learn to adjust for each shooting situation - the shoulder/handles are darn close to a steadi/glide rig IF you learn to walk correctly - you can't be a lummox stomping around, YOU have to glide... AND you have to release any locks on the support rod before you start to move, or you'll get jarring from your lower body.

I find that with the Tiffen Steady Stick for instance, you release the rod knob, then move, and use the shoulder support aspect of the design, and you're pretty good, then lock the rod when you aren't needing to move - the Steady Stick isn't perfect, no handles, but it's pretty effective.

Camera support and stabilization for event work is a tough nut to crack, but the right rig and some practice with it can make a huge difference in how your footage looks in the end!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
5-10 minutes handheld I don't mind so much, but going beyond 20 minutes is really brutal on the body.
A wedding I did a couple of years ago is still burned into my brain. I was doing table shots when I hear a speech start with no warning. No chance to get on tripod. No problem, I figure, what's 5-10 minutes handheld?

They proceed to do all the speeches in a row. I actually had to change tapes. Almost an hour. Sweat was pouring down my face, and I wanted to shoot myself.

Sure would have enjoyed a shoulder support for that one!
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #20
Major Player

Since this seems to be basically a Multirig thread thought I'd add my two cents. Having one of the older models I had the support rod for the shoulder support strip out and not work correctly. I wanted to get it back working so I contacted the manufacturer in Israel and stated my problem. I was willing to pay for the parts/repair. But they said, hey send us a picture of the unit and tell us what is wrong and we will send you the parts FREE UPS ground shipping included!!!! As it was I paid for air and got it quicker. BVut you CANNOT get better support than that and I was totally surprized and amazed. The new part was obviously better engineered than the old part and was simple to replace.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
Since this seems to be basically a Multirig thread thought I'd add my two cents. Having one of the older models I had the support rod for the shoulder support strip out and not work correctly. I wanted to get it back working so I contacted the manufacturer in Israel and stated my problem. I was willing to pay for the parts/repair. But they said, hey send us a picture of the unit and tell us what is wrong and we will send you the parts FREE UPS ground shipping included!!!! As it was I paid for air and got it quicker. BVut you CANNOT get better support than that and I was totally surprized and amazed. The new part was obviously better engineered than the old part and was simple to replace.
I'll have to remember to get in touch with the DVTek crew because my spring got tweaked and now it cannot stand up right (and I had a screw in model before the snap in was released).
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #22
Inner Circle

i built already several shoulder support because all the commercial product i found had several issues. the first is that most of them have flat shoulder pad, while there are chances that the work position of your shoulder is not ( even if you are Mr Swarzenegger). This makes the support and the cam to usually roll or slip to the edge of your shoulder or make the horizon difficult to keep. I solved this by either making a pad compensating for this, or screws allowing to change it at anytime (if you lend your rig to other people).

The second are the handel/grips (usually two). I found that most of the support are fine if you use both handles, but become very difficult when used with only one.
I solved this by replacing the handles by a square frame with rounded corners you can grab any way you want.

The third is the fact that many shoulder support have no counterweight at rear, so to get the balance, you need to set the camera to the rear, making the viewfinder or the lcd screen too close/unusable. I solved this by installing a 7" LCD screen in the front frame, fixed on the bottom bar. This is the best place since, the distance is ok, the weight is placed very low under camera/support and the angle of LCD can be freely adjusted. I installed too , a box at rear of the support to install the battery for LCD, light, wireless stuff, and why not a bottle of water, some spare tapes if needed.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Since this seems to be basically a Multirig thread
Oops, I went OT there...

Actually the original post was in reference to Shape WLB. I don't really know anything about them, other than they seem to be a new company close to me. I see their stuff on Ebay, too.

Looks well made. Has anyone actually actually used one other than Danny O'Neill?

I waffle back and forth about shoulder mounts and monopods. I'm never pleased with the footage I see from shooters using them, as opposed to good hand held footage.

I also worry about the reduction in mobility. I like to move the camera around a lot. Stick it under chairs, up high, whatever, and I hate the thought of it being harder with a mount attached.

But the multirig looks good.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #24
Major Player

Hmm I'm beginning to see the light of using something like the multirig for toasts at the reception.. I currently use a tripod and just lock it down for the duration of the toast.. You guys think I can easily shoot the whole thing (40min-1hr) from the shoulder?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Hmm I'm beginning to see the light of using something like the multirig for toasts at the reception.. I currently use a tripod and just lock it down for the duration of the toast.. You guys think I can easily shoot the whole thing (40min-1hr) from the shoulder?
It's a no brainer.

As I said, I shoot ALL day long with no fatigue. And never had a complaint about my footage.

What I tend to do for a lot, but not all, speeches, is pull up a chair and sit down and shoot accordingly.
I don't block anyone this way, and since I lock my 2 section support pod on the Multi Rig, I get easy rock solid shots.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #26
Major Player

<<I'll have to remember to get in touch with the DVTek crew because my spring got tweaked and now it cannot stand up right (and I had a screw in model before the snap in was released). >>
Jason, I wasn't talking about personal problems :>).
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
<<I'll have to remember to get in touch with the DVTek crew because my spring got tweaked and now it cannot stand up right (and I had a screw in model before the snap in was released). >>
Jason, I wasn't talking about personal problems :>).
wow, now that I re-read that, I did kind of leave that one open for comment. hehe :-)
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #28
Tourist

Additional details on camera supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
While the units do look rather well built, I have to agree with sticking to my DVMulti Rig. It's much more compact and lighter in weight, and just as, if not more, configurable.
Hello Michael,

I’m participating to this thread to give additional details on the Shape WLB camera supports.

Our camera supports weight between 2.8 and 4.1 lbs. One model weights 5.86 lbs but this total weight includes a 4 lbs counterweight. So actually, they are light and compact.

Regards,

Charles
www.shapewlb.com
Charles Vallieres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports