Steady Tracker and Lighter Cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old November 10th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Steady Tracker and Lighter Cams

Ok, I’ve heard that devices like the Steady Tracker aren’t too great for prosumer cams, but how are they with cameras that are under 2 pounds? Would a lighter cam work well with a device like the Steady Tracker? I was looking to use the Optura Xi (1.6 lbs.) with a Steady Tracker, how does that sound?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #2
Major Player

As long as....

you get some practice time in you should fare well. I've found that with some work on the foot work and turns my mono-pod tracker smooths out. It's a bitch if you have to work on a shot for long duration but...can't be helped sometimes.
Obviously, light weight cams allow longer time on track...you still get tired. Good technique and practice helps a lot.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have a glidecam 2000 which I use with a Sony PDX-10 (~2 lbs, maybe less without the XLR box and mike). I think this makes good sense because the handheld stabilizers would be a real workout with a camera like a PD-150, and I can't even imagine using one with an XL-1s.

The only issue is that they are very tricky to balance. It took me literally hours to get this right, and you won't need very many of the included weights. It might be easier to fine tune the balance with more weights and a heavier camera. But the payoff will be that you can "keep it up" for much longer with a smaller cam. ;-)

Let's see if Charles Papert chimes in on this. When I was asking around here awhile ago he was not a fan of the SteadyTracker because it doesn't have a gimbal (IIRC).
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #4
Trustee

They say the Flowpod is quicker/easier to balance than the other devices such as Steadicam JR. And it has a gimbal. Suppose to be solidly built.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Major Player

"Let's see if Charles Papert chimes in on this. When I was asking around here awhile ago he was not a fan of the SteadyTracker because it doesn't have a gimbal"

Totally agree with him. You really need something with a true gimbal. There so still a lot unstability that still gets through which has strong influence on the sled while operating. You get better performance and funtional usage with a proper gimbal. Just my take. I'll let Charles take it from here...
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #6
Wrangler

Eh. You guys said it all already.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:09 AM   #7
Space Hipster

Chiming in late here - I have a vintage, mint Optura Pi headed my way. I want a stabilizer but wondered what is the lightest gimbal model on the market?
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:19 AM   #8
Wrangler

Hollywood Lite has a tiny little stabilizer with a "partial" gimbal. Check their website.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:22 AM   #9
Space Hipster

Charles:

Thanks. I forgot about Hollywood Lite. I didn't realized they added to their product line.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports