XL1s Support options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s Support options

My arm is tired!
Should I go with VariZoom FlowPod (monopod) or their shoulder + abdomen-pad unit (VZ-LSP)? Does their shoulder support product jerk around as you move, and on the other hand would their monopod product simply add more weight for the arm to carry when you're trying to move with it?
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Dan, you've essentially covered the weaknesses of each approach, concerning shoulder support vs. stabilzer.

A shoulder support with an ab brace such as the VariZoom VZ-LSP will allow for hours of comfortable shooting but is not really intended for moving shots. When you're moving with a shoulder support, you'll have to learn "the walk" in order to move as smoothly as possible. That's a physical challenge for the operator, not the support. Turning on the camera's optical image stabilizer will help a great deal.

A monopod or stabilzer will allow for very smooth moving shots, but it will grow heavy on your arm after awhile. Again, a physical challenge to the operator. The question is, which tool is right for you, and are you better suited to an arm workout or a leg workout. Look at it this way, either one you choose will be good excersize. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3
Major Player

I've actually added some new free weight routines at the gym in the morning to help with my camera work...boy has it payed off!
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

fatigue?

I use a monopod if I know I have to move, this gives me a good steady shot both stationary and when moving, it acts as a stabilizer if giped at the right spot.

Another method I use: with a varizoom 4" monitor on top, I can adjust the strap so the camera shoulder pad sits against my "big" stomach. It stays balanced (I can actually let go) and frees me up to make adjustments on both sides.

I dream of a steadycam but by the time i get one, I will be too old and weak to use it.

Hope this might help,
Trig
419-696-0872
Trig Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just ordered the Flowpod

I know just how you feel - I'm too old already - but I figure I can always extend the thing and let my arm rest in between moving.
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports