Shoulder Support And Sachtler Tripod for XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old February 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Shoulder Support And Sachtler Tripod

I am looking for a shoulder support that I can keep a quick release plate on and just pop on to a Sachtler tripod.
I guesssing that most shoulder supports require unscrewing the camera from the support and then screwing on the tripod plate for use on a tripod. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
David Stollak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Not always the VariZoom Media Pro doesn't utilize the tripod mounting socket, and it includes a quick-release.

Sometimes it's just a matter of making sure that both the shoulder support and the tripod head include quick release plates in order to swiftly move from one to the other.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Chris...is Harold still marketing this piece? I'm actually playing phone tag with him right now looking to gat a Dolphin Rack for my setup. I've been interested in this mount for sports stuff since I saw it a while back. I picked up the Marzpak, another great invention by one of our members. I find it works great for handheld with the Mini35 rig, especially because the added weight stabilizes it so well. I'm thinking this (is it still called the SP7?) might be just the trick for the straight XL1s.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Jim, he may have sold them all to VariZoom (who marketed it as the Media Pro; although I can't seem to find it on their site). Contact me if you can't locate one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chris, I had a good long talk with Harold this evening. He makes some very innovative products for the XL1 and other systems. I'm going to add the SP-7 (the pre-Varizoom name) and the Dolphin Rack that looks killer for field shoots.

The SP-7 has looked like the ideal handheld XL1 support since I first read about it. I'll definitely do a review after I've worked with it. I'm starting location scouting and preproduction on a film on the 25th anniversary of the 1980 Olympics I'll be doing over the next several months. Because of the nature of a lot of the current sports venues, i'll be doing the "up-close" and staged/studio shooting in Mini35, and most action work in XL1s, and will probably use the SP-7 for a lot of that.

Anyway, great guy, we're gonna talk more next week, and for the record...he's marketing the SP-7 shoulder unit himself again. People should check out curtismediacompany.com
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports