DVRigPro Help needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MultiRigPro Help needed

Hey folks,
I just purchased a MultiRigPro from DvTec and I have a few questions with which I'm hoping to get some help from the community. Firstly, let me say that I'm very impressed with the workmanship and versatility of this rig. That said, I'm running into the following issues:

1. Walking shots.
I've now done a series of walking shots with the MultiRigPro, which are nearly identical to another series of shots that I did before I bought the rig. The first set was done by folding up my tripod beneath the camera and holding the tripod about 1/3 of the way down its length and using the rest of the length of the tripod below my hands as a counter-balance for the camera on top of the tripod. The disturbing thing so far is, that I got better (read: more steady) results with walking shots holding the tripod than I am getting with the MultiRigPro. I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong.

I don't have the "shoulder mount" extended, it's being used as a handle.

I've got the camera sitting as far forward on the rig as I can (see next "issue" for more on that).

I've locked the bottom segment of the support pod for height and unlocked the top for shock absorption (I've tried it the other way, too as well as with both segments unlocked. . . not much difference)

I'm walking as carefully as I can and using my best "glide step."

2. Camera position
I have the optional Quick Release for the rig. The receiver part is mounted to the top of the Rig. However, I have to keep it back farther than I'd like, because the tightener on the right side of the receiver won't turn when it's sitting forward (see picture). Am I doing something wrong here? The docs that came with the rig say to set the camera so it's balance is shifted forward for best stability. As near as I can tell, I just can't do that.

3. Threaded hole. There is a threaded hole toward the front of the base, next to the foremost arm of the rig that is inaccessible from the bottom of the rig, because the swivel-point of the arm covers it up. Consequently, it's also not deep enough that I'd feel comfortable threading anything into it from the top. The only reference in the documentation that I've found to this hole is this line: "For quick insert to and from your tripod head, Mount your cam. tripod plate to the front 1/4" thread and registration hole." There is another hole behind this, which is probably the registration hole, but I can't see how these holes can be used. (See Picture)

Any help here would really be appreciated. Right now, I'm considering trying to make my own counter-weight for the rig to try to restore the stability that I was seeing with my folded-up tripod and still keep the comfort and better weight-distribution of the MultiRigPro. If anyone has successfully done this, I'd love to hear about that, too and especially I'd love to see pictures. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DVRigPro Help needed-multirigproissue2.jpg   DVRigPro Help needed-multirigproissue3.jpg  

Last edited by Alex Chamberlain; May 28th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Alex Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

in no particular order

For the QR plate, I use the same setup and I have mine set just behind the lock nut on the plate. The lever works just fine. Actually for a while I had it over the lock nut and the movement simply wore a small groove into the lever and that has no adverse affect on the mechanism. Keeping the QR farther forward also helps the CG which helps in making smooth moves with the multirig.
I also keep my wireless receiver on the back of the rig via the supplied mounting plate. That helps tremendously in keeping the rig balanced properly. I run a PD170 with a WA lens attachment and a LP Micro so the receiver really helps. Even if I don't need to use the receiver I put it on to help the balance.
Now as for getting smooth walking shots with the rig, well there are a couple things I've noticed help. One is making sure the rod pouch is in the right place. I wear the belt high enough to put the pouch just above my hips. My preference is slightly off center to the right. I raise the lower section of the spring rod pretty high and lock it down and keep the upper section loose. I feel the upper spring is a bit titgher than the lower so it holds the unit a bit better. Then, I keep a light touch on the handles and use a glide step instead of a walking step. The first step is the hardest since you can feather the unit in or out like a full steadicam unit. Oh yeah, lots of practice. Actually lots and lots of practice.
Perhaps Danny migh check in and be able to give you some additional tips but believe me, it's a great unit and works as advertised. BTW, I had and still have one of Danny's units for full sized cameras (when I had them) and found that unit worked like a champ with the same spring rod and pouch system.
Keep at it and practice practice practice.
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Don,
Thanks so much for the input here. I appreciate it a LOT. A couple of questions though:

What is the "lock nut" you're referring to? Is it the Gold nut on top of the QR clip for the Support Pod? I'm sitting here right now with my rig in my lap trying to move the QR receiver around and I could use a bit of clarification here.

"Keeping the QR farther forward also helps the CG. . ."
What is the CG?

"The first step is the hardest since you can feather the unit in or out like a full steadicam unit."
What does "feather" mean here?

Again, thanks so much for your help and input.
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

First the CG is Center of Gravity and with the camera as far back as you have it it's very difficult to get it to not waver when moving with it so the camera needs to be moved forward which brings me to the next thing. The lock nut (not proper terminology sorry) is the black circle on the flat surface of the unit itself. You can move the quick release forward to that point or even a bit farther forward if you don't mind scratching up th erelease lever on the quick release. Then by placing the wireless receiver on the supplied mounting plate (from DVTec) to the rear of the unit (on the shoulder bar) that will help equalize the weight distribution and then make it easier to move smoothly with the unit.
As for feathering what I mean is, with a steadicam device be it full blown or handheld when you start to walk you gently move the arm a bit forward and start walking at the same time. This prevents the sudden movement of the first step. When you stop you stop walking first and at the same time slowly bring the the arm back towards you a bit to stop it. this is called "feathering" or "ramping".
HTHs

OOOPS WAIT! I just looked at the pictures again and realized you have the QR plate way to far forward, bring it back towards the rea of the unit otherwise all the weight is out front which does the smae thing as I said earlier but in reverse. You want the unit to carry the weight not your arms.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #5
DV Rig Pro

can you change the topic name from DVRigPro. to MultiRig..

The MultiRig system is mainly a camera support with some stabilization effect. You can not expect a steadicam like performance or same results that you get from your folded tripod method that can only be used for few minutes before your arm fatigue. this is the
trade of. Versatility and all day comfort vs. stress and fatigue.

1. As Don said, and it goes even for the most expensive full steadicams, you need to practice and experiment a lot...

2. Camera position - Pls. note:

You can adjust the locking lever travel sector. (180 down or up)
Slide in the plate (no camera) lock the lever, push it out and set the
locked positing. pointing back or forward.

We make 501 long camera plate, much longer then the original 501 plate, This allows more front- back balancing range.

You have one slot in the rig and another in the camera plate, plenty of
range.

3. the front holes you have mentioned are for mounting a camera plate directly to the unit when used without the front arm / grip in the Stabilizer Plus mode.

Danny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chamberlain View Post
Hey folks,
I just purchased a MultiRigPro from DvTec and I have a few questions with which I'm hoping to get some help from the community. Firstly, let me say that I'm very impressed with the workmanship and versatility of this rig. That said, I'm running into the following issues:

1. Walking shots.
I've now done a series of walking shots with the MultiRigPro, which are nearly identical to another series of shots that I did before I bought the rig. The first set was done by folding up my tripod beneath the camera and holding the tripod about 1/3 of the way down its length and using the rest of the length of the tripod below my hands as a counter-balance for the camera on top of the tripod. The disturbing thing so far is, that I got better (read: more steady) results with walking shots holding the tripod than I am getting with the MultiRigPro. I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong.

I don't have the "shoulder mount" extended, it's being used as a handle.

I've got the camera sitting as far forward on the rig as I can (see next "issue" for more on that).

I've locked the bottom segment of the support pod for height and unlocked the top for shock absorption (I've tried it the other way, too as well as with both segments unlocked. . . not much difference)

I'm walking as carefully as I can and using my best "glide step."

2. Camera position
I have the optional Quick Release for the rig. The receiver part is mounted to the top of the Rig. However, I have to keep it back farther than I'd like, because the tightener on the right side of the receiver won't turn when it's sitting forward (see picture). Am I doing something wrong here? The docs that came with the rig say to set the camera so it's balance is shifted forward for best stability. As near as I can tell, I just can't do that.

3. Threaded hole. There is a threaded hole toward the front of the base, next to the foremost arm of the rig that is inaccessible from the bottom of the rig, because the swivel-point of the arm covers it up. Consequently, it's also not deep enough that I'd feel comfortable threading anything into it from the top. The only reference in the documentation that I've found to this hole is this line: "For quick insert to and from your tripod head, Mount your cam. tripod plate to the front 1/4" thread and registration hole." There is another hole behind this, which is probably the registration hole, but I can't see how these holes can be used. (See Picture)

Any help here would really be appreciated. Right now, I'm considering trying to make my own counter-weight for the rig to try to restore the stability that I was seeing with my folded-up tripod and still keep the comfort and better weight-distribution of the MultiRigPro. If anyone has successfully done this, I'd love to hear about that, too and especially I'd love to see pictures. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Danny,
Thanks for the tips, etc. Your presence on this forum is a large part of the reason I felt so comfortable purchasing the MultiRigPro.

I realized my error with topic name, too, but I'm not seeing a way to change it. When I go into an advanced edit, it just lets me change the title of my first post. Maybe Chris Hurd will wander by here and swap it for us. Sorry 'bout the confusion. I still get my mental lines crossed with those two systems. :)

I have to say, after Don's post yesterday, I figured out the method of adjusting the locking lever as you describe here, which allowed me to put my camera *much* farther forward, and the stabilizing affect was drastically better. I'm still working on my walk, etc. but this thread has already given me some giant leaps forward. I actually have the longer 501 plate that you make, and it probably helped as much or more than the locking lever adjustment.

That makes sense with the front holes.

I'm actually still pressing forward with my plan to add a counter-weight to the bottom of the rig. I'm no engineer, but I keep thinking through it, and I can't help but think it will help with the overall stabilization. I'm doing this by creating a replacement front arm (see picture), that will swing back under the rig (with a larger channel through the middle for the stabilizer pod to pass through) and, instead of a grip that folds down, it will have a pole extending downward with an adjustable weight on the bottom. I'm making my own replacement arm, because I don't want to permanently modify anything about the original rig. Anyway, the tinkerer in me just has to try it. I'll post pictures when I'm done (I'm probably 2/3rds there now). Any thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for all the help and input folks, its already made a 200% difference.
Attached Thumbnails
DVRigPro Help needed-img_6970.jpg  
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chamberlain View Post
I'm actually still pressing forward with my plan to add a counter-weight to the bottom of the rig. I'm no engineer, but I keep thinking through it, and I can't help but think it will help with the overall stabilization. I'm doing this by creating a replacement front arm (see picture), that will swing back under the rig (with a larger channel through the middle for the stabilizer pod to pass through) and, instead of a grip that folds down, it will have a pole extending downward with an adjustable weight on the bottom. I'm making my own replacement arm, because I don't want to permanently modify anything about the original rig. Anyway, the tinkerer in me just has to try it. I'll post pictures when I'm done (I'm probably 2/3rds there now). Any thoughts on this?
Before you "hurt" yourself...

For walking shoots, Two options to consider.

using the MultiRigPro in the stabilizerPlus confiq. (Holding the left and right grips, No shoulder brace) Place the lower end of the front grip in a position under the center of the camera and add some weight to it, this will lower the center of gravity.

Another way is the same but you use the shoulder and back tubes. Extend the shoulder part all the way down, swing the back tube just under the camera, and add some weight .

Let me know if I made my self clear and does it make sense...

Danny.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quite clear, and much appreciated. I'm far enough now with my "new arm" that I'm still going to press on, but I'll try those techniques you described too. Don't worry, I'm not a total novice with this stuff. ;) (see Alex Chamberlain's 1995 Geo Tracker)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports