DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Varizoom VZ-1SHOOTER (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/23996-varizoom-vz-1shooter.html)

Chris Wright April 2nd, 2004 09:45 PM

Varizoom VZ-1SHOOTER

Has anyone used this shoulder mount? I would love to buy a FlowPod but simply cant afford it. I realize that the VZ-1Shooter does not have a gimble and will not produce "floating" footage, but it seems like it would be a great basic stabilizer for wedding receptions where a tripod is not usually mobile enough.

Are there any other good shoulder-mount or other types of stabilization? I can only afford $100 or so, and am not looking for gimble-based stabilizers.

Thanks!

Don Bloom April 3rd, 2004 08:05 AM

Chris,
I have not used the shoulder mount in question but I have used a studio1store or habbycam shoulder mount and at this time after a couple of years of using it I'm back to using my monpod for receptions. It allows me to have a nice steady set up, I can lift it up over the crowd when necessary and it really makes my life more comfy at receptions. I've even used it at some ceremonies that are short and where I have some freedom of movement.

I use a PD150 with a WA lens attachment,a Senn ME66 mic, an on camera light that runs to a battery belt and in some cases a wireless receiver, so as you can see, it's pretty well loded up. I use the Bogen 682B which has the feet on the bottom and once you learn how to keep from banging into the feet it works fine and the weight is no issue. I've even put a 21/2lb wrist weight on the bottom and it almost works like an inexpensive steadycam or flowpod. It's not the same not as precise but it works if you know the limitations.

I also use a 501 head on it but without that the monopod is under $100. I like the set up even more than the shoulder mount maybe because I have some nerve damage in my neck and should but the monopod really weorks out well.
You might want to take a look at a monopod.
Don

Chris Wright April 3rd, 2004 10:44 AM

I've never used a monopod, but never really liked the idea. It seems that it would be heard to keep the camera from rocking back and forth?

Am I wrong here? If they are very mobile and easy to use to get good, steady shots, then I will consider buying one.

Thanks!

Don Bloom April 3rd, 2004 01:39 PM

A monopod like any other piece of equipment takes a little practice and while there can be a little movement with a monopod I really do prefer it now over the shoulder mount. I'm still very mobile and steadier than handholding.
An example is the other day, I was visiting my son who is a fireman and a call came in. I always have my stuff in my car when I go to see him. I jumped in my car and followed the engine to the call, jumped out,grabbed my stuff and even though I was in a heavy leather jacket and a little winded from running, I had my 150 on the fire, including my on cam light and battery belt, ready and rolling in a few seconds with a steady shot and I didn't have to worry about the shoulder mount fitting over my jacket and frankly being quite front heavy. (BTW, it was a nothing incident, oh well, the goes my Pulitzer)
The one you're looking at, does it have the belly bar? if so, then I guess it'll work but when you walk it'll show as much movement as a monopod.
I guess I'm just trying to show that no matter what you use you need to practice with it.
Don

Dave Largent April 5th, 2004 07:27 PM

Don, do you always use your monopod with the feet
out? And how much do those feet really help
stability? Would a person be just as steady
without the feet?

Don Bloom April 5th, 2004 09:01 PM

I keep the feet out if for no other reason than a place to set it down with the camera on it for a brief rest. For me the feet help the stability especialy if I zoom in at all. Mostly I try no to zoom but sometimes it's all you can do.
I know a lot of guys that use a monopod without the feet and they're very solid but again for me I kinda prefer the feet.
Don