Stabilizers, Pods, Sticks, etc. for XHA1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stabilizers, Pods, Sticks, etc. for XHA1s

I have a bad back and cannot get comfortable hand-holding the XH. In the hopes of a low-cost stabilizing solution, I recently purchased a SteddiePod by BarberTech, an Atlas Camera Support, and a WristShot, which are all pretty cool in some ways. But, so far they all stink as stabilizers. For example, the Atlas Atlas Camera Support System: A Simple, Affordable Camera Stabilization System looks like a fishing rod suspended over the shoulder. It takes all the weight off and I can walk around all day without a sweat. The problem is that whenever I move, I may as well suspend the camera from a Slinky.

Since this forum section is specific to the XHA1, I was wondering what experiences you guys may have with such gadgets. I work alone with 2 cameras and I have tripods for both, but I want to be mobile with one. I have a wedding next week and I'm starting to worry. I had no problems with my old XL1 sitting on the shoulder.
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Alex,

I have an XH-A1 and a bad back as well
(and I'm also over 50 and badly out of shape)
and so far the best, cheapest
and most useful contraption I've found is the
Spiderbrace: amazingly lightweight and stable,
and it's only $70.
I've added a Libec ZC-3DV LANC controller (around $130)
and a Manfrotto/Bogen quick release adapter ($50).

Best

Vasco
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Spider brace

I haven't tried a shoulder mount, yet
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use a DIY "shoulder mount". Here some "in acton" pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Stabilizers, Pods, Sticks, etc. for XHA1s-img_5841.jpg   Stabilizers, Pods, Sticks, etc. for XHA1s-diy_1.jpg  

Denys Pyevtsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Major Player

I have tried all kinds off (cheap, homemade) shouldermounts and none of them lasted. Now for the A1 I mainly use a tripod, a monopod and a spiderbrace (with a LANC controller). All with QR adapters for quick changing. And when I want gliding shots I use my homemade rig with the HV30 and deshake the footage in post. Works like a charm.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Major Player

I kind of like the FigRig. Well not the real one. A friend called Jo made on for me so we call it the JoRig. I used to use it with my old Sony 2100 but i still need a good lanc for the A1...
I mainly use a heavy tripod. But for travelling i use a lightweight tripod which i also use as monopod and sometimes stick the legs in my belt.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
I kind of like the FigRig. Well not the real one. A friend called Jo made on for me so we call it the JoRig. I used to use it with my old Sony 2100 but i still need a good lanc for the A1...
She is talking about me . . . (blush)
So Ann, does the Wako Lanc not work on the A1? It works fine on my Sony FX1000. It fits on the hoop of the JoRig and it is real cheap.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports