XL1s with Promax Steadytracker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old July 25th, 2002, 02:21 AM   #1
Air China Pilot

XL1s with Promax Steadytracker

I found this listed in a local board for sale by the owner. On the Promax site I could not find any information that says what this item will work with.

http://www.promax.com/Products/Detail/6214

... though the photo shows a VX2000 or 1000 mounted on it.

It says: maximum camera weight 8 lbs. But that doesn't always say if it will work *well* with the XL1s mounted on it (possibly later with the wideangle 3x).

Does anyone know if it will support the XL1s weight or mount?
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 07:20 AM   #2
Warden

Try holding 8 lbs. at the end of your arm for very long, Charles can probably tell better than any of us. But unless your Arnold Swarzenegger, my guess is its better suited for lighter cameras than the XL1.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

This is true. It isn't really a support system. More like something heavy to steady it.
Old July 25th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I own a steady tracker and would NOT recommend it for an XL-1. The XL-1 is just too heavy. It would probably work just fine with a GL-1 or GL-2.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

Good. That's the kind of opinion I wanted to hear, from someone who was an owner. I'll look for something else or save for a Glidecam.
Old July 25th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The Steadytracker is alright

Keith,

I have the steadytracker with the XL1S on it and I'd have to say I am impressed with it. I tried the Glidecam with the movable handle, although lighter, it hurts my wrist when lowering or lifting it, since the entire weight rests on the handle connecting to your thumb then your wrist (I am right handed) and it calls for grip power more than arm power. I am not a big guy, 6'0 190. To me tracker handle feels great and it also allows you to use both hands which I find more assuring, I still have nightmares about dropping the camera, but that's another story. (laugh)

One thing you can't do with the glidcam or other smaller hand held rigs is shoot high and low angle stuff. with the steadytracker, I even put on the extender to give it an extra foot and a bit to work with and load the entire rig on top of my should, I shot my friends playing half court basketball and the footage came out great (with LCD). With the glider you will have to lift the rig overhead, the weight is distributed all to your wrist and then the front deltoids (for leverage).

I can also make turns witht the rig without physically moving myself by just twisting the handle, which is great for shooting walking up stairs.

Then there is that low mode cage, I put the Xl1S on without the EVF and hang it out the window of my friend's car and shot some great moving car scenes.

I also did some 360's and dutch angles and shot really good footage, try doing that with the glidecam... either the weight plates will start to clink (ruins the sound) or fall out.

The main difference here is versitility, I am preparing to shoot my first feature in november and after getting the tracker, I started dreaming up all these angles, shots and moving sequences.

Thing is it's all about how you balance the camera and yourself, I have to admit getting the perfect balance on the tracker was tough but once you find that sweetspot, lock it up and you are set. It basically centers all the weight on a single point within the gimble, therefore it doesn't hurt your wrists. Secondly, I always keep my elbows close to my side sometimes rest it on the side of my body just like an extension arm with the other hand under my elbow for support.

finally that extra weight of the rig helps to slow my movements down and make my movements more delicate. Whatever rig you buy, you will need practice, took me a month or so to get the feel of it and get used to the weight, which is probably why my right bicep is so much bigger than my left.

hope this helps you in making your decision.

Daniel Chan
Daniel Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Keith,

Are you confused yet?

Sorry for the mixed viewpoints. I know it is much easier when people agree.

Having said that I still don't get much use out of my steadytracker. However, for moving shots it is a big improvement over a shoulder or other type of hand held shot.

Try one out before you buy.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #8
Air China Pilot

I think I'll see if I can try out someone's version locally. That is probably the best advice.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. If I do get a hold of one locally I will be sure to post my own opinion on it (though just trying it out, I'm not sure if it would be valid).
Keith Loh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports