Cool New Steady Harness for the XL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old July 29th, 2002, 08:52 PM   #1
aliasthump

Cool New Steady Harness for the XL-1

Greetings all,
I want share with all the DV cameramen a little revolutionary device I developed. After working on a project that was shot in a covert manner and long hours with heavy use on the zoom, fatigue and steadiness became an issue. Take a look at my solution at; killerflick.com/sling-short.html

If this solution can help any of my brother cameramen, please drop me an e-mail and I will hook you up.

I sometimes have problems with the e-mail "aidan@killerflick.com" so if you can send a carbon copy to aliasthump@yahoo.com, I'll have a better chance of getting it.
-Aidan
Old July 29th, 2002, 09:01 PM   #2
aliasthump

New harness URL fix

Sorry, that's ; killerflick.com/sling-shot.html
Old July 30th, 2002, 11:05 AM   #3

Aidan,

Interesting solution. Not like anything else I've seen. However, there is one thing I would liked to have seen on your web site--sample footage showing "without and with" the sling-shot Remember, "seeing is believing." I would think sample footage would increase sales considerably.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Aidan,
A very interesting idea indeed. However, just looking at that arm being bound like that makes mine ache. How does it feel after an hour?
I have often thought the XL1 was designed without ergonomics in mind, as I just can't find a comfortable position with it. Maybe if it sat forward another 4-6 inches?
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:01 PM   #5
aliasthump

Good dog and Capt Quirk

Good dog,
That sounds like an excellent idea. I have to admit, that came to mind when I was reading a thread about a product video for someone else's steady cam system. This will probably take a couple weeks because my only prototype was stolen on a shoot Sunday. Fortunately I have some new upgrades that I would like to implement on the new prototype. Such as: a pocket or two for lens filters, lens cap or any small essentials items that one would like to keep nearby. And a strap that will secure the shoulder pad from the XL-1, for an even steadier shot. It puts less stress on the rist Ðwhich is the center point for horizontal stability.

Capt Quirk,
It's not as awkward as it looks. Plus it is adjustable so you can set it up as low as you want. It also has two foam pads; one on the shoulder and one under the left armpit. Inside the sling (where the elbow goes) there is a "fur-like" material for added comfort. Plus there is a quick release buckle and the sling can easily be removed from the elbowÐif you want to keep the strap on for momentary periods of rest.

All of which will be shown on the "NEW" product video.

Thank you for your thoughts.
ÐAidan
Old July 30th, 2002, 09:04 PM   #6

By all means, let us know when you have those video clips ready for viewing. I'm really intereted in seeing the results!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #7
Quantum Productions

The product looks like what I do with my other arm. I hold my elbow in the palm of my left hand for support. But I lose the support when I have to control dials on the camera. This product may help! Can I keep the girl if I order one??? ;)
Old August 4th, 2002, 06:38 PM   #8
New Boot

Adam,

If you can't "keep the girl", you can always try for the other sexy woman hawking shoulder mounts on www.dvcaddie.com.

Am I the only one disturbed by this kind of advertising? At least the glidecam (www.glidecam.com) and steadicam (www.steadicam.com) models are wearing realistic shooting attire. Oh well...

Christine
Christine Noguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 07:35 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

In this regard, VariZoom is just as guilty.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 08:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Next time get one of the actresses from "Sex in the City" to be the model. You won't hear a peep!
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 12:00 AM   #11
Quantum Productions

If it's a ugly, geeky guy or a sexy babe advertising a product I don't really care. I just look at the product and read up on it etc...etc. (But I'll still check out the babe!) :)
Old August 5th, 2002, 06:03 AM   #12
New Boot

Hey Adam and Bruce,

Not trying to cut into your girl watching!!!

Just making a point that this kind of advertising is more often used for beer commercials than for professional film/video equipment. Not trying to be the resident feminist here or anything. ;-)

Christine
Old August 5th, 2002, 07:08 AM   #13
Capt. Quirk

But, men are men, and women can catch our eye almost as quick as a new toy. Put them together in the same ad...
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:29 AM   #14
New Boot

Right you are, Keith. Only in the interest of equal time, I'll be looking for the shoulder mount ads starring Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in the near future.

Hey Aidan, how about "sister camerawomen"?

All the best,

Christine
Old August 5th, 2002, 11:21 PM   #15
Major Player

Christine,
I guess that would go for Helena Noguerra's marketing as well. It kind of adds something to the "la Taj"

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports