Has anybody with a XL2 or XL1 used it with DVRigPro Stabilizing System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Tourist

Has anybody with a XL2 or XL1 used it with DVRigPro Stabilizing System

I'm new to XL2 and checking out the Vaizoom DVRigPro product. After looking at the specs and photos, I notice that the product demo photos don't feature the XL1 or XL2. Has anyone tried the XL!/XL2 with a DVRigPro successfully?
Coments are greatly appreiated!
Old January 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #2
New Boot

Right now I am using the standard DvRigPro with my PD-150.

6 month ago I did shot a 3 week documentary with 2 XL-1s, I got
a DvRig XL and the other XL was used hand held by a better and
more experienced operator then my self.

As it turns out, Most of the shots used in the final project where
the shots from my XL + Dvrig, It sure means a lot, The DvRig XL
make your shoots more controlled and stylish and you keep shooting for for the whole day with out getting tired and keep steady alert and sharp all day long.

To my opinion, For this super uncomfortable (But Great) hand held camera, The DvRigXL is a must.
Yuli Krudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am VERY interested in the DVRigXL and am currently researching (thus, I am here).
I have a few questions:

I noticed that the DVRigPro comes with a Bogen mount (to quickly attach the XL2 with a Bogen plate on the bottom). I have not seen any info about the DVRigXL coming with the same Bogen mount. Anyone know about this?

Also, can anyone suggest a good remote for use with the XL2 and the DVRig XL?

Also, FWIW, the DVRigPro people need a better website....
Thanks,
Matt
Matthew C. Abourezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #4
New Boot

The dvrigXL comes with the same Bogen 3273 / Manfrotto 537

QR assambly. Somewhere in the DVTEC.tv web site they explain how you can make it compatible to any tripod head.

At Varizoom.com they say that the XL comes with a special longer camera plate, which is nice.
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yuli,

Thanks for the link to Varizoom. I just took a look.

I noticed one HUGE difference between the Pro and the XL models that really makes me sad. If you look at the pivot points from the shoulder pad to the camera, you notice that there are two on the Pro model and only one on the XL model. This means that much of the motion available on the Pro model is not on the XL model. This is a HUGE letdown.

Even the Varizoom page says the following about the XL model:

"To provide additional support the tilting motion remains in a locked position. Tilting motions can still be obtained with use of the telescoping pod."

What this really means is that you pay the same price as the pro model but for much more limited range of motion. You can't Tilt the camera from the base of the camera, you can only lean it up or down using the support rod and your body.... In addition, you do not get to lift the camera to shoot from an "above the head" level like you do in the Pro model.

So, let's see, only one handle, no real tilt mechanism, can't set it down, can't shoot from high level, (and I imagine you can't shoot from a lower level either)... all for the same price as the Pro model....

(Yes, I am whining right now... I am just disappointed.)

Matt
Matthew C. Abourezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:55 PM   #6
New Boot

The XL have to be held over you right sholder ! otherwise you will
not be able to see your frame in the view finder.

What can you do, It's a different body shape.
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm quite happy with my Rig and it worked even better after I added the LANC control on the handle.

Here's a review: http://tinyurl.com/4p5lm
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew C. Abourezk

I noticed one HUGE difference between the Pro and the XL models that really makes me sad. If you look at the pivot points from the shoulder pad to the camera, you notice that there are two on the Pro model and only one on the XL model. This means that much of the motion available on the Pro model is not on the XL model. This is a HUGE letdown.

Even the Varizoom page says the following about the XL model:

"To provide additional support the tilting motion remains in a locked position. Tilting motions can still be obtained with use of the telescoping pod."

What this really means is that you pay the same price as the pro model but for much more limited range of motion. You can't Tilt the camera from the base of the camera, you can only lean it up or down using the support rod and your body.... In addition, you do not get to lift the camera to shoot from an "above the head" level like you do in the Pro model.

So, let's see, only one handle, no real tilt mechanism, can't set it down, can't shoot from high level, (and I imagine you can't shoot from a lower level either)... all for the same price as the Pro model....

(Yes, I am whining right now... I am just disappointed.)

Matt
I noticed this difference too. It’s a real let down. I’m considering one of those rigs for my HD100 and was wondering if the HD100 would work with the DVRigPro version since it has the LCD flip out. The XL2 doesn’t have a flip out screen, so the one handle is needed to allow you to look in the viewfinder. But the HD100 can be shot using the side LCD. Question is would it be too heavy for the Pro version? Because the XL version loses the most interesting movements. Since it cost the same as the pro version, I don’t think it’s worth it.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #9
Trustee

I wonder if I should have started a new thread to ask the question rather than mixing it up here. If I don't get a reply here, I will most likely start a thread for it. I was just trying not to clog the place up with similar threads.
Old December 10th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #10
DV Rig Pro

Hi Michael,

The JVC HD-100 will not work with the DvRigPro.

I suggest the EngRig for this camera. See photos at

http://www.dvtec.tv/id22.html

The HD-100 has a manual lens so you need your hands free to operate it.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #11
New Boot

hi dany, i m from israel and i might be intrested in perchasing the dvrig pro.
i went to youer site but didnt see any vandores in israel, is there any were in wich i can come in and test it?
Alex Boojor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #12
DV Rig Pro

Hi Alex you are welcome at the factory. Call 09-7411194
Old December 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #13
Trustee

Hi Danny, the problem with the EngRig is that it seem to have even less functions and movement than the XL. The whole point of buying the rig is not to have the camera on your shoulder. The HD100 is already a shoulder mount. The point is all the controlled tilting, going up and down etc that you lose.
Old December 10th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #14
DV Rig Pro

Indeed that the HD100 is a shoulder camera and can be only used from the shoulder.

Do not be fooled by the built in LCD it is not placed in a position that allows use as a view finder in hand held position but only when used on a tripod.

If you position the HD100 in front of you so you can use the LCD as view finder (30-40 cm from your eyes) you will find it very dificult to operate the
lens. It has Auto Focus at least on hand have to be on the lens at all times.

As you said, It already have shoulder mount, so there is no point in adding another shoulder mount.

The HD EngRig adds lot more stability and control, The HD100 is so light that
it does not realy "sit" on your shoulder, it kind of gently "lays" on it. Most users finds it necessary to add weight by adding a heavy battery or two at the back, If you want to keep it light and be stable use the EngRig.

Danny Natovich
DvTec
Old December 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #15
Trustee

The point of the rig for me was never stability. I think the HD100 is stable enough as it is. It doesn’t really make much sense for me to pay for something already in the camera. If I really want any extra stability, all I need to to screw a handle to the tripod screw hole.
The point was the movements you could achieve with the DVRigPro in a very controlled way, which you lose when using the other rig.
Is the problem with the Pro version only the LCD position or also weight? If it's only the LCD, an extra top mounted 7" LCD should solve it and allow the use of the DVRigPro version.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports