Shoulder Braces besides Verizoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old April 4th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Shoulder Braces besides Verizoom DVRig for XL2

Does anyone know of any XL2 compatible shoulder braces that might be a bit less expensive then the Verizoom DVrig series? I'm looking for something like this: http://www.studio1productions.com/dvbrace.htm
or at least in that price range. I find that the XL2 shoulder pad is not really suited for my frame. It would be great if it was adjustable, if it could slide back a few inches. Anyway, I'm looking for something to solve my problem that's not in the $400+ price range. Even some type of homemade shoulder pad would do the trick.
Andrew Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm only guessing here, but are you saying you're larger than most? (shoulder pad is not really suited for my frame. It would be great if it was adjustable, if it could slide back a few inches.)

My second guess is the viewfinder is too close to your face when you put the camera on your shoulder. I'm not trying to be funny but, have you moved the viewfinder forward as far as it will go? Having only used "fixed viewfinders" as on the GL series, it was a day before I realized I could adjust the viewfinder both in and out and side to side. Now when I hoist it up to my shoulder, the eyepiece is right there.

Just trying to save you some money if I can.

Dan
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't know what these cost but in case you hadn't seen them:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article24.php
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article76.php

Also, if all you want to do is move the eyepiece forward, Lightwave makes the "System Isolator" for around $90 that moves it forward and isolates vibration.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #4
New Boot

I moved up the eyepiece and it helps a little. The main problem is that in order for the camera to rest on my shoulder, my arm has to be tucked in really close to my body, almost so my forarm is touching my bicep, instead of a comfortable 90 degree angle.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dolgin Engineering has some sub-$200 shoulder units for the XL1.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #6
New Boot

Those dolgin braces look like what I'm looking for, but I don't think they fit the XL2 because of it's built in shoulder pad.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

DV Caddie

DV Caddie might be a good alternative for you. It is an adjustable metal post that hangs from your shoulder on a strap (like a guitar strap). The strap takes the weight off of your arms. The height is adjustable so you can move the cam eyepiece to the most convenient position. It costs about $210 from EVS.
I use it with my PD170, but do not have experience with the XL cams.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports