DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DV Caddie Jr vs DVRig Jr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/43864-dv-caddie-jr-vs-dvrig-jr.html)

Steven Gotz May 1st, 2005 12:54 PM

DV Caddie Jr vs DVRig Jr

I gave the DVRig Junior some thought and I just can't decide between it and the DV Caddie for my Sony FX1.

How to decide? I like the idea of the belt to hold the pole instead of something digging into my hip or my belly. But what happens when you breathe? The DVCaddie can be on a hip which won't move while breathing. In the pictures of the DVRig Junior, it looks like the belt is around the waist - which moves when I breathe.

I carry a tripod everywhere, but some places don't allow them, like museums. So I need additional support. I thought about a simple shoulder rig, but the idea of turning my body into a steady tripod appeals to me.

Help!?!

How to decide? Opinions please?

Danny Natovich May 2nd, 2005 07:02 AM

Hi Steve,

The unique advantages of the Dv Junior Rig are:

- Spring loaded shock absorbing and height adjustable support pod for walking shoots.
- Waist (Hip Bone) support belt - You can breath normally, What moves when
breathing are you chest and belly.
- 3 axies head - Forward Tilt and side to side tilt with fluid damping efect,
Both lockable.
- Take it for a "test ride" and try it for real.

Danny Natovich
DvTec

Steven Gotz May 2nd, 2005 07:12 AM

Danny,

Just the man I needed to hear from.

Test Ride? Do you know of a place in the Dallas area to do that? Or did you mean order it and then try it out? Is there a money back guarantee?

I would probably only need a couple of minutes or so to know if it was right for me.

Can you tell me how heavy the DV Junior Rig is?

Danny Natovich May 2nd, 2005 07:21 AM

Call Varizoom (888) 826-3399 they are in Texas, and have a money back guarantee policy. Tell them I Directed you.

Danny.

Steven Gotz May 3rd, 2005 02:34 PM

I just bought the DV Junior Rig

They didn't have one local in the Dallas area, so I went ahead and ordered the DV Junior Rig and I will let people know if it works out OK.

If I get some really nice footage in Greece, in places where the tripod was not allowed, I will post it and give you a link to refer to so you can point potential customers to the footage.

Steven Gotz May 15th, 2005 12:15 PM

I shot with the Junior for the first time yesterday. I was pretty happy with it except for one thing. The lille plug that is attached to the neck strap will not lock into the unti reliably so I can let go of the camera for a moment. Or, if I wanted to press against the camera and use the neck strap for additional stability.

Is there a secret to getting it to stay in? I should just have to push in to put it in, and push in to pull it out. Right? Is mine defective? Or is there a secret movement to lock it in?

Danny Natovich May 15th, 2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Is there a secret to getting it to stay in? I should just have to push in to put it in, and push in to pull it out. Right? Is mine defective? Or is there a secret movement to lock it in?

Steven, I am mailing you a photo to help you to your private mail.

Danny.

Steven Gotz May 15th, 2005 01:27 PM

That was very much appreciated. It looks like the little piece on the keyring (on the strap, not the unit) is defective. I put it under a magnifying glass and noticed a problem. I will get in touch with the people I ordered it from.

Thanks for the assistance.

Danny Natovich May 15th, 2005 01:48 PM

Sorry Steven.

Don't bother.

Just mail me your mailing adress and I will mail you a new starp.

Enjoy your JuniorRig.

Danny.

Steven Gotz May 15th, 2005 01:49 PM

Danny,

Thanks. I will send the email straight away. I appreciate the attention.

Danny Natovich May 15th, 2005 01:57 PM

I wish more users will post in forums or contact me direct with minor problems or questions. This is the best and fastest way to solve problems and is very important for me in order to improve...

Danny Natovich
DvTec

Bryan McCullough May 15th, 2005 04:37 PM

You're a great owner, Danny.

I love my DVRig Pro and appreciate your willingness to help us customers out.

Steven Gotz May 15th, 2005 09:22 PM

OK. The footage has been captured. It looks to me to be less steady than my tripod - no great surprise - but steadier than necessary to be considered usable footage. I haven't learned to walk with it, but when standing still, it is pretty still.

I will eventually figure out how it looks on the big screen TV. The movement may not be noticeable if you are not looking for it, like I am.

I think I prefer leaving both parts unlocked to I get a floating action. I press down ever so slightly on the camera and it absorbs the majority of the movement.

I even tried using it as a shoulder rest. but was not as happy with the feel of it as I was in the normal position.

So, all in all, I can recommend the DV Junior Rig to people with the FX1/Z1 - and anything in that weight range.

Steven Gotz June 19th, 2005 03:09 PM

I found that using the DVRigJr all over Greece was the best solution. I could stand in the back of a crowd and shoot over them (I am 6'3" tall to begin with) so I didn't bother anyone. And in tight areas, it made it easy to carry the camera against my chest until I needed it. There were so many places where a tripod was not allowed - in most of the ancient sites throughout Greece - that I am very glad I had the DVRigJr to help out.

Oh, and Danny was able to get the new strap to me before I left, and it worked great. I really appreciate the assistance.

When I get a chance to put some short clips on my web site, I will annotate each to show the difference between tripos shots and DVRigJr shots.

Pete Wilie June 26th, 2005 02:36 AM

Steven,

How was the DVJunior Rig when walking or otherwise moving with the camera?