DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   VariZoom DV Rig XL for the XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/44207-varizoom-dv-rig-xl-xl2.html)

Andrew Gold May 7th, 2005 05:23 PM

varizoom dvrigXL for the XL2

I'm considering purchasing a dvrigxl for my xl2. I was wondering, is there a way to set the camera down while it is on the rig? I noticed that the XL version has one handle as opposed to two. I was thinking that would make it kind of difficult to set the rig down upright without taking everything apart.

Chris Hurd May 7th, 2005 07:23 PM

It looks like it needs a kickstand, doesn't it? Right now the price of the twin-handled DV Rig Pro is about the same as the peg-legged DV Rig XL. The DV Rig Pro would suit your needs just as nicely, and it sets down on all three points kind of like a tripod, ready to be grabbed again right away.

Danny Natovich May 8th, 2005 04:41 AM

Hi Chris and Endrew,

If you want to use the XL's original view finder, the XL can not be used with the DvRigPro. it needs the DvRigXL.

Endrew, Once you buy the DvRigXL, i will send you a small adapter
that you will be able to attach to the back part to make the rig stand
on the floor.

Let me know.

Danny.

Andrew Gold May 8th, 2005 09:09 AM

That would be great! I think I'm going to order the dvrig this week. How do I contact you about the adapter? I'm in the U.S., would shipping be really expensive for the adapter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Natovich
Hi Chris and Endrew,

If you want to use the XL's original view finder, the XL can not be used with the DvRigPro. it needs the DvRigXL.

Endrew, Once you buy the DvRigXL, i will send you a small adapter
that you will be able to attach to the back part to make the rig stand
on the floor.

Let me know.

Danny.

Chris Hurd May 8th, 2005 10:17 AM

Thanks for the update, Danny! It was great to meet you at NAB,

Danny Natovich May 8th, 2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Gold
That would be great! I think I'm going to order the dvrig this week. How do I contact you about the adapter? I'm in the U.S., would shipping be really expensive for the adapter?

Shipping on me. Mail me your shipping adress to info@dvtec.tv

Danny.

Andrew Gold May 9th, 2005 11:24 AM

Thanks a lot Danny! I just placed my order for the dvrigXL from Varizoom and sent you an email with my shipping info. I can't wait to recieve the rig!

Andrew Gold May 10th, 2005 03:20 PM

Well, I did put in my order and it shipped, then I noticed on the shipping email that varizoom sent the dvrig pro instead of the xl. Most likely I clicked the wrong button when placing the order. Anyways, to make a long story short, I emailed Colby at Varizoom and he sent out an XL for me today, I just need to refuse the package for the regular dvrig when ups comes to deliver and they'll credit my card when they recieve it.

Andrew Gold May 13th, 2005 03:16 PM

Recieved my DvRigXL today and must say that it ROCKS with the xl2. I only had one problem, the plastic piece at the bottom of the support rod is coming out due to the pressure from the spring loaded rods. I emailed Danny to get his advice, but it looks like I could probably fix it with some epoxy or something.

Danny Natovich May 13th, 2005 03:31 PM

Andrew,

The loose bottom end is OK. It will not come out, You do not have to fix anything.

I know you didn't get a manual with your purchase, I will have a PDF at
www.dvtec.tv by tommorow.

Enjoy.

Danny.

Michael Bender May 14th, 2005 02:02 PM

Just got the DV Rig XL - Yee Haw!

Hi all, I just received the DV Rig XL from B & H yesterday and got it all set up on my XL-2 in about 1/2 hour. It's pretty cool! I spent about an hour with it, walking around the studio and doing some "stairway" shots; that was a bit of a challenge since I was alone and didn't trust myself enough to keep my eye in the viewfinder, and so I had to look down at my feet from time to time. Oh well, I think with practice I'll get the hang of it! I can tell that it is going to be so much better on my back!

My first impressions are that it feels like a cross between my SteadyCAM Jr. and my Marzpak. Handling the XL-2 wasn't that difficult, I guess because I've had experience with the other two camera support systems (the SteadyCAM Jr. can only support my small S-VHS camcorder and my Sony PC-10, which is a shame since I wanted to use it with my XL-2).

I did notice the issue with not being able to put the DV Rig XL down on a flat surface without the whole thing tipping over. Danny, could I buy the extra support piece from you? I think that would make my using the rig a lot easier when I have to rest between shots.

Anyway, thanks for a great product, the DV Rig XL and the Marzpak are both really great camera support systems that complement each other, and it's going to be fun to learn how to use the DV Rig XL.

mike

Danny Natovich May 14th, 2005 02:10 PM

Thanks Michael,

Give me few days and I will come up with a nice device.

Danny.

Michael Bender May 16th, 2005 04:52 AM

Thank you Danny!

mike

Joseph Ivey August 23rd, 2005 02:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to add an extra handle to the DV Rig Xl like in the DV Rig Pro. I don't think that it will matter that much but I was curious if it was possible.

Andrew Gold September 7th, 2005 06:32 PM

Danny, I've been waiting since May for you to send me that adapter for allowing it to sit on the ground and the replacement support rod. Any chance of you sending it soon? Please email me at roamer <at> gmail.com so I can make sure it gets sent to the correct address. I really need these parts (especially the adapter).