Shoulder Mounts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old October 18th, 2002, 01:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Shoulder Mounts?

Does anyone know of any shoulder mounts available for the GL2?

Thanks.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2002, 10:24 PM   #2
Major Player

These are the 2 I have heard from on these forums and am looking into myself for my GL2

http://www.varizoom.com/pages/lsp.htm

http://www.marztech.com/

Both look like they have advantages and disadvantages. The delemias of this hobby, $$$$$ for everything.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2002, 10:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Whoa! Thanks for the reply, but those prices are absurd! Guess I'll live with a tired arm for the time being :)
Old October 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah the sticker shock on accessories for this hobby have taken a bit of getting used to. I was not planning on a shoulder brace yet, but after shooting some footage and realizing that after a few minutes the images start getting a little shakey as the cam tires the arm I figure I will opt for something soon. I may go with a monopod to help in the short term.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 01:44 PM   #5
Jack Durban

Hi Guys. I use a monopod for sports shoots and I find them better than shoulder mount

Jus' for whatever it's worth I tried both and prefer the monopod for stability. The shoulder mounts, besides the lack of comfort, translate too much user biological effects (breathing, coughs, burps, hiccups, etc.) to the camera.

They are great for short term shooting like NG work but over the long haul they are uncomfortable.

Monopods have their drawbacks too. Thier heads are usually awful and even if you find a good one with decent dampening you will find that as you tilt or pan you can overcome the stability of the monopod itself! In other words the more stiff the head the more likely you are to lose stability in the monopod.

Someone needs to come up with a quadrapod with a fixed footprint of say 6 to 10 inches. It would greatly reduce the inadvertant user tilt and lean from the monopod design and still allow for close phyisical user contact.

Off to bench!
Old October 22nd, 2002, 06:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

www.habbycam.com - can't beat those prices!
Old October 23rd, 2002, 08:48 AM   #7
Trustee

Those prices are a lot more reasonable. Thanks!
Old October 25th, 2002, 05:32 AM   #8
Woodyfang

Marztech

Have to say the Marztech equipment looks great. i am fairly short, so have trouble with fatigue when shooting stable high shots for prolonged periods of time

i would think it would not be too hard to make your own marztech setup by modifying a rucksack with a decent aluminium frame.

they cost aorund £70 here, and are probably chepaer in the states. one could rivet/bolt/weld (altho i know welding onto aluminium is difficult) the upper, curved support

after all, the marztech is a failry simple piece of kit

as an XM-2 owner, I have to admit to being an accessory addict. I found one of my most useful purchases was a flashgun handle, which i use use to give me better support. It also helps me keep the cam level when holding it abvove my head.

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

re

Has anyone experimented with the Varizoom Media Pro? How does it work with the Canon MA-100 adapter?
Ryan Spevack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports