Simple question about shoulder mounts for xl1s. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old October 24th, 2002, 05:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Simple question about shoulder mounts for xl1s.

Heya, i have been using an xl1s for a while, but have to give it back now, so just about to buy my own.

I want to get a shoulder mount, i have been offered some good prices actually, but my simple question is.

I will be using this camera mostly on a tripod but will sometimes pop it up for some types of shoots.

I will be at most ever be using 2 mic's, so a multitude of inputs is not that important.

Will i see any real advantage with going from a ma100 to a ma200?

The price difference is not great at all, just wanting some ideas, as i said it most likely won't be on my shoulder for extended periods of time.

But i do want a shoulder pad/mount not a breakout box.

anyways, thanx for your help.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:51 AM   #2
Warden

The MA-300 works only with the GL-2 (and PAL counterparts). You might want to use the search function because alot has been written on this subject. The MA-200 is either loved or hated. No middle of the road on this piece. I happen to find my MA-200 very useful and it is permanently mounted to my camera. the addition of the Lightwave System Isolator make the camera a perfect shoulder mount for me (very comfortable, too). But my background is in larger shoulder mount cameras. When I worked in broadcast, the majority of my work was shoulder mount.

I find the audio to be of high quality. Even though I said I would never use 4 channel audio, once or twice I've resorted to it's use. It saved my butt big time.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 05:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

so the ma100 is identical in form but only has 2 connectors, or is a smaller unit as well?

I have come from a slightly different background than you i guess. I come from a studio background all tripod mounted, big monitors and not touching the audio at all, as you guessed i was a key camera operator for a studio based comedy show here in australia for 2 seasons.

Anyways,

kermie
Old October 24th, 2002, 06:09 AM   #4
Warden

The MA-100 is slightly smaller because it only accomodates 2 channels of audio, instead of 4 on the MA-200. I now do the majority of my work tripod mounted also. But occasionaly a client will want that hand held look. I don't do any event type work. Event people are usually looking for the bigger shoulder braces. Shoulder braces have been covered a lot in the last few weeks. Just look a little below this topic and you'll see several threads.

Canon shows them side by side here http://www.canondv.com/xl1s/a_audio_access.html The form factor is a little different. Another big advantage is the abillity to mount two batteries at the same time. This also allows use to swap out discharged batteries without shutting down.

Jeff
Old October 24th, 2002, 06:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanx, excellent response,

that thing about the batteries sold me!

ma-200 it is.

thanx

kermie
Old October 24th, 2002, 06:34 AM   #6
Warden

The MA-200 requires the CH-910 to do the 2 batteries http://www.canondv.com/xl1s/a_power_adapt.html It also charges 2 batteries in sequence. It is a very nice accesory and mounts perfectly to either the MA-100 or 200.

Jeff
Old October 24th, 2002, 06:52 AM   #7
Major Player

thanks jeff,

wow it is amazing, if you buy one thing you always to buy something else.

I think it is a bit sly and unfortunate too... they really should build all in one solutions.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports