DVMultiRig attachment to Vinten 3AS head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVMultiRig attachment to Vinten 3AS head

I purchased the DVMultiRig Pro system and the Monfrotto Quick for my Sony Z5u camera and got the Monfrotto quick release bracket and plate which I then attached the bracket to the MRP and the plate to the camera to make a nice quick release system of the camera from the MRP.

I just purchased a Vinten 3AS Head and Tripod and would like to be able to quickly attach and release the camera from the 3AS and attach it to the MRP.

What do I need to purchase to have a system that when I release the camera from the 3AS head that I do not have to take off the plate from the camera and then reassemble another plate onto the camera to attach it to the MRP and reverse the procedure to attach the camera back onto the 3AS head?

I've emailed Danny Natovich from dvtec.tv in search of an answer with no response yet.

Melvin Baggs
Melvin Baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Danny at DVTec has a TRIPOD adapter for the Multirig. You might want to check it out at MultiRig add ons.
It should do the trick but you might want to email Danny and make sure it'll work on the vinten head. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't but just in case...
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:21 AM   #3
Trustee

Melvin you're on the right track.
I have a vision 3as and manfrotto adaptors and they fit together perfectly.
What you need is the manfrotto 357 adaptor, not the 577.
357 is a bigger plate than the 577, they both have the same receiver but the 577 plate doesn't fill up the receiver so it has a bigger locking block.
The 357 plate is about 1mm not wide enough for the vision 3as head, so the head needs to be packed out slightly so that when you tighten the lock screw it clamps the manfrotto 357 plate. I got a slither of plastic, a piece of ruler actually, double sided tape and stuck it into the angled side of the tripod head, so now the manfrotto plate can be clamped, basically i've made the vinten slot about 3mm slimmer.
So now i have a manfrotto 357 receiver on my shoulder mount and steadicam pilot and the manfrotto 357 plate on my camera and i can swap from tripod to shoulder support to steadicam easily.

I'm going to take a few photo's of this and start a new thread, i reckon there's a few people in the same boat.

Paul.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Don and Paul,

Danny Natovich did return my email question and suggested that I get the Manfrotto 357 adapter and the Tripod QR Bracket but Paul, he did not go into detail as you did in your response as to why the 577 adapter would not work.

After looking at both Manfrotto adapters on B&H's website, I see that I have the 577 adapter cause my plate and receiver are the same length whereas the 357's plate is longer than the receiver.

Danny's statement to me was: " You can also get another QR system, same as you got for the MultiRig and mount it on top of your Vinten camera plate, This way you will have the same QR mount for both tripod and MultiRig."

I now have the concept, that is to use 2 adapters with one of their plates attached to the Tripod QR Bracket and the other adapter plate attached to the camera. Then, the receivers are attached one to the Vinten 3AS plate and the other to the MultiRig Pro.

Therefore, the camera can be quick released from the MRP to be used for hand held shots or snapped onto the 3AS plate where the adapter is attached to be used on the tripod. Or, the whole MRP with the camera attached could be mounted on the 3AS plate which has the receiver mounted on it to be quick released from the tripod in two different ways (plate from 3AS head or plate from receiver).

Paul, I guess I do not understand why I would need the 357 adapter instead of the 577 adapter as I have? I have the 577 receiver mounted on the 3AS plate and the 577 plate mounted on the camera. This quick release set up works perfect.

I do not have the Tripod QR Bracket yet nor the additional adapter to complete this QR set up. Is this where I will run into problems trying to attach the TQRB to the 577 receiver which is mounted on the 3AS plate with the smaller plate of the 577 or do I need the 357's longer plate to attach the TQRB to the receiver on the 3AS head?

If this is so, then I will have to get two 357 adapters and discard the 577 adapter from this set up.

Could you please clarify what I am missing cause it seems that the purchase of another 577 adapter and the TQRB will give me what I want to make a complete QR system of the camera from the MRP or the MRP from the 3AS.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Trustee

Melvin.
So on top of you tripod you have the vinten plate, then a receiver, then another plate, then the camera on top of that ?
This was what i could've done with my old 577 set up but i didn't want that, i just wanted the camera with plate to go stright onto the tripod, or shoulder mount or steadicam.
The problem with the 577 plate is that it's not wide enough for the Vinten head, the 357 is almost wide enough, so the head needs packing out slightly.
If you're happy doing it your way then by all means stick with it, i was just trying to do a way which was simple, one plate which stays on the camera one type of receiver on everything else, no parts to unscrew or lose etc.

If you look at the how to thread you see how i did it all.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...heres-how.html

Paul.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I see what you mean now, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I read your statement of "bigger" meaning it to be "longer" and the part about "bigger locking block" just flew over my head all together. Must-of-been that British accent :-)

So what you have done is to discarded or thrown away the original Vinten plate and replaced it with the 357's plate and then modified the 3ASs head receiver slot with a piece of plastic which is approximately 2mm (.079) thick.

So, what I will need to will be one 357 plate to attach to the TQRB and one 357 adapter (plate and receiver) to attach the camera to the MRP.

If this is correct, please press "1" beep. ;-)

Thanks for all of your time and effort as it again shows that the PRO's make this site the best on the internet because of their willingness to share info or get answers for us newbies.

PS Danny Natovich, theirs no need to reply!

Melvin
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Trustee

Melvin.

Correct.
"1" beep.

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports